Look What *My Friend* Can Do! (Read 766 times)

I have a buddy who was struck by a box truck while cycling in August 2010.  The truck basically pulled very slightly ahead of him as they were both doing ~25mph, then turned right and across his path.  He was dragged ~70yds under the truck (which sped up to ~30mph while dragging him, according to the GPS data!).  While pinned under the truck, he was grabbing onto anything for dear life, including the drive shaft, to keep from being taken under the rear wheels or having his torso crushed.  His right knee and left ankle were ground to the bone, requiring multiple skin grafts.  The truck's tires also ran over his quads and hip, and he suffered two cracked ribs and a fractured vertebra.

Today, fifteen months later, he competed in the Ford Ironman in Florida.  1:06 Gulf swim, quick transition, 5:31 ride, 5min T2, and a 4:49 marathon -- 11:40:27 total.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Wow, that's absolutely mind blowing. Congrats to your friend, not only on the Ironman (which by itself is huge) but for simply bouncing back from all that. That really is inspiring.  

xhristopher

Holy shit that first paragraph was a hard read. The second short one was just fantastic. He IS the Honey Badger.

Feeling the growl again

Holy hell.  I'd be impressed with the ironman time, even without the first part.

I'm glad he's recovered so well and so quickly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Holy shit that first paragraph was a hard read. The second short one was just fantastic. He IS the Honey Badger.

No joke!  Wow... Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maggie & Molly

wow.  Resilency is an amazing thing.  Your friend is incredible!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Wow Clive! That's incredible! Huge congrats to him, and as Spaniel said, even WITHOUT being hit by a truck, that's a great time!