Treadmill (Read 141 times)

I have belonged to gyms all my adult life and we also have some decent treadmills here in our fitness center at work, but there is nothing like having your own good treadmill (and good setup).  We get ice storms, so there were times I couldn't even get to work or the gym.  I have a bathroom really close by.  The one at the gym seemed to be 1/4 mile away.  The TVs at the gym were wall mounted and weren't always set to a channel I wanted to watch (you could pick, but still....).     Definite advantages to a gym (which don't apply to the OP anyway)- socialization, doing weights while you are there etc.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

BarneyBunch

I have a friend who trains for marathons almost exclusively on the TM...she lives in Miami, FL.  She has the Sole F85 I believe and loves it.  I use mine 90% of the time due to home commitments am have been looking at the NordicTrack 1750 as it does incline and decline.

The NordicTrack 1750 is a great treadmill, in my opinion. I use the incline and decline feature a lot and it really helps my running. As FSBD stated, getting the warranty is definitely worth it. It's partially why I chose to avoid the craigslist route. Getting a treadmill on craigslist can be worth it, but sometimes it is so hard to tell if a used treadmill is going to last. Something electrical could happen or something with the belt and motor could happen. Warranty is definitely the way to go. With Black Friday coming up soon, I would recommend waiting until then if you are still looking for the NordicTrack 1750 to get one with a warranty. I waited for a holiday deal (Memorial Day) and used this NordicTrack promo code for the 1750 that worked with the holiday deals going on NordicTrack's website. If you don't care much for the warranty, then definitely look around craigslist. Just make sure that you test out the treadmill before you agree to buy it.

fitfam

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone. I really appreciate all of the feedback. I am really leaning towards the NordicTrack 1750 as well, as mentioned by a few other people. I have read about it on a review site I found, as well as a few other treadmill reviews, and they seemed to know their stuff.  I did consider joining a gym for $10-20 a month but I do have a commitment to be home with my family, and the gym here is packed here every morning. I got a week trial membership at the gym and I had to wait 20 minutes after I got there to hop on a treadmill, it was packed! (That was at 6 am - I haven't tried going at another time). I also considered the Craigslist cheap/free route but I'm nervous that it will just break super easily and I only want to have to do this once - getting it in the house, putting it together, stuff like that. If I order it from the company someone mentioned I can pay to have them set it up, that sounds way more convenient to me. I really just want to start running and get this show on the road.

Thanks for the coupon code. Does it actually work though? I swear when I shop online I try to go find those codes and they never seem to work. Any feedback on that?

BarneyBunch

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone. I really appreciate all of the feedback. I am really leaning towards the NordicTrack 1750 as well, as mentioned by a few other people. I have read about it on a review site I found, as well as a few other treadmill reviews, and they seemed to know their stuff.  I did consider joining a gym for $10-20 a month but I do have a commitment to be home with my family, and the gym here is packed here every morning. I got a week trial membership at the gym and I had to wait 20 minutes after I got there to hop on a treadmill, it was packed! (That was at 6 am - I haven't tried going at another time). I also considered the Craigslist cheap/free route but I'm nervous that it will just break super easily and I only want to have to do this once - getting it in the house, putting it together, stuff like that. If I order it from the company someone mentioned I can pay to have them set it up, that sounds way more convenient to me. I really just want to start running and get this show on the road.

Thanks for the coupon code. Does it actually work though? I swear when I shop online I try to go find those codes and they never seem to work. Any feedback on that?

The coupon worked for me during Memorial Day sales this year, so I am assuming the coupon will still work for you. I always try to find discounts or promo codes when making purchases. There are lots of coupon sites out there, but it's true that a lot of coupons listed are out of service or no longer work. That site I used had working coupons for this year so hopefully they still work for you. Wait for Labor Day or Black Friday to see what kind of deals you could get if the coupon still works.

rufustrunt

I bought a Woodway Forefront a couple of years ago and really love it. This spring however the sales staff at Technogym in SOHO gave me a demo of their newest pro grade treadmill and I have to say it is probably a little better than the Woodway. If I had to do it over again I would be getting the Technogym.

As it is, the Woodway is a great machine. I didn't bother to spring for the extra upgrade monitor system. After about 7 miles of running the front of these things are streaked with sweat and pretty nasty..

hejalog

Hi all

A couple of days ago my wife was running on the Treadmill when there was a "pop" and it abruptly stopped. I was in the room at the time and heard it. Afterward, there was a slight burning smell.

It is a Tempo Fitness 620t - just over 4 yrs old. The motor has 5-year warranty coverage, but I don't believe the motor is the issue.

Here's what I've figured out so far, and I would appreciate any advice or pointers that folks more educated in electronics could pass along...

• I have verified that there is power at the outlet
              • The treadmill is completely dead - no lights, nothing on the display panel up top, no sounds, no movement of the belt motor, or of the incline motor, nothing at all.
              • I popped the cover off of the motor/electronics. I checked and verified that there is power entering the main circuit board (so the on-off switch and the fuse/breaker are fine)
              • There are about 6 capacitors on the circuit board of varying sizes. None of them appear to be bulging or leaking
              • There are no obvious scorch or burn marks. No wires appear broken or melted

That's about all I can see.
              Can anyone suggest any other things I can investigate?

I don't think that the motor is the issue; since there is no power at all on the display, I am thinking that the issue is in the electronics somewhere.

I'd hate to toss this out when both motors and the body are in fine shape, but I'm not sure how else to proceed.

thanks,