Wheezing as I exhale (Read 193 times)

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Perhaps although had an EKG in late May and everything checked out fine. Also my doctor during my last checkup said that I could run and she saw nothing that would indicate otherwise.

An EKG checks your heart's electrical function.  It does not check your lung function.

Just because your doc didn't see anything two months doesn't mean something wasn't there.  It also doesn't mean something hasn't changed since then.

Denial is a powerful thing.  I get it.  I see it everyday.  You don't want to admit that something might be wrong.  However, this has bothered you enough to come to an online forum and start asking questions.  This means it's bothering you enough to wonder what it is and if it'll be a problem for you.  Don't be stupid.  If you're having problems follow up.  It may, in fact, be nothing.  It could, in fact, be something.  Better to find out it's something earlier than finding out later when something bad happens.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

No more marathons

Reminds me of how my exercise induced asthma was diagnosed a few years ago (ok - a few decades ago).  At the time I was not running but had started playing pick up full court out door basketball.  (whew).  I noticed wheezing and tightness in my chest after about 15 minutes of playing.  Went to my doc - he did the bit of analyzing breath flow and said "nothing wrong".  But, more to placate me, he gave me a sample size albuterol inhaler and said "use this the next time you experience the symptoms - if it helps, you have asthma, if it doesn't, you don't."  It helped, problem solved.

Also - once I got into shape, the exercise induced asthma went away.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Reminds me of how my exercise induced asthma was diagnosed a few years ago (ok - a few decades ago).  At the time I was not running but had started playing pick up full court out door basketball.  (whew).  I noticed wheezing and tightness in my chest after about 15 minutes of playing.  Went to my doc - he did the bit of analyzing breath flow and said "nothing wrong".  But, more to placate me, he gave me a sample size albuterol inhaler and said "use this the next time you experience the symptoms - if it helps, you have asthma, if it doesn't, you don't."  It helped, problem solved.

Also - once I got into shape, the exercise induced asthma went away.

I found out the same way, during marathon training.  I couldn't finished my 21 miler and by Mile 8 I was wheezing.  I had suspected something was wrong when my paces went slower and I felt the same way (bad all the time).  That 21 miler made me realize I was denying the problem.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Thank you all for your stories and suggestions. I ran about a mile this morning on Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach Island NJ. Slowed my pace back and no wheezing. However due to many of you urging to do so I am making an appointment to visit the doctor this week to check for asthma.

JerseeJerry55

Hello all,

Good news the doctor told me he doesn't believe it is sports asthma, perhaps just the hills and humidity. However I have a follow up in about 3 weeks just to be on the safe side. Now onto other issues. I visited my podiatrist last Thursday. I told him about the knee pain on the medial side I experience somewhat after I run. He looked at my running shoes and noticed that I am wearing them out on the lateral side of the outsole and in his opinion the medial post is too firm and is pushing my foot laterally. That being said he believes that I may not need medially posted shoes just some with some support. He thinks that I should try a more neutral shoe. These are the shoes I looked online that may fit his recommendation. If anyone has worn any of these or has some input it would be most appreciated:

Adidas Supernova Glide 5

Asics Gel Cumulus 15

Brooks Ghost 5 (or 6)

Brooks Defyance 6

MB 780

NB 880 v2

NB 890 v3

Nike Air Pegasus 30

Nike Zoom Fly

Pearl Izumi EM Road 2

Puma Faas 300

Puma  Faas 500

Saucony Ride 6

Zoot Mens Otec

Thank you

JerseeJerry55

Blondie8

I'm sorry... didnt read all of the replies. Just wondering if you've been seen for asthma? Sounds like your

bronchial tubes are constricting... probably even before you move. You just notice it when you start your running.

I have both seasonal and exercised- induced asthma ( that shows up about 5 -10 minutes after you stop exercising) and luckily both are easily controlled.  I would see an allergy/asthma doc to get on something like Singulair - tablets for your airways. Helps tremendously, and get a rescue inhalor as well...albuterol.  You may need it at some point.  Good Luck.

flatland mountaineer

For me it is a no brainer any more. Seasonal allergies starting with wheat harvest usually about July 4 to the first hard freeze. I usually renew 2 months worth of Flonase or generic equivalent. Clears lungs and sinuses..............

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Docket_Rocket

Hello all,

Good news the doctor told me he doesn't believe it is sports asthma, perhaps just the hills and humidity. However I have a follow up in about 3 weeks just to be on the safe side. Now onto other issues. I visited my podiatrist last Thursday. I told him about the knee pain on the medial side I experience somewhat after I run. He looked at my running shoes and noticed that I am wearing them out on the lateral side of the outsole and in his opinion the medial post is too firm and is pushing my foot laterally. That being said he believes that I may not need medially posted shoes just some with some support. He thinks that I should try a more neutral shoe. These are the shoes I looked online that may fit his recommendation. If anyone has worn any of these or has some input it would be most appreciated:

Adidas Supernova Glide 5

Asics Gel Cumulus 15

Brooks Ghost 5 (or 6)

Brooks Defyance 6

MB 780

NB 880 v2

NB 890 v3

Nike Air Pegasus 30

Nike Zoom Fly

Pearl Izumi EM Road 2

Puma Faas 300

Puma  Faas 500

Saucony Ride 6

Zoot Mens Otec

Thank you

JerseeJerry55

No idea about those shoes as I have never tried any of them.

Question, did the doctor perform a breathing test?  It is hard to find asthma (unless you are having an attack in front of the doctor) without it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I adore my Brooks Defyance - though I believe they are on to the 7 now.  However, it's really a very personal thing based on the shape of your feet.  Best thing is to go try a bunch on in a store, including running at least a few yards in each pair.  Buy the ones that are most comfortable.