Ankle Sprain caused by new shoes or just dumb luck? (Read 65 times)

blimoco

Just recently trying out a new pair of running shoes (Brooks Ghost 10).  I switched from a slight stability to this neutral shoe.

My first run with them went smoothly enough considering they haven't been broken in.  Six miles, no issues...But today, on just my second run with them, I was running just fine and out of nowhere, my ankle just folded and I immediately took a tumble.  I was on a paved trail that was relatively clear aside from a fallen leaves and an occasional acorn here and there.  I didn't notice stepping on any foreign object or divots, though I suppose that may have happened, since I wasn't paying close attention at the time.

So here I am trying to determine if these running shoes are a bust or just chalk it up to dumb luck.  Can a shoe cause your ankle to just twist like that out of the blue?  Has anyone noticed an increase risk of sprains by just swapping shoes?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I did this a year ago in my 2nd or 3rd run in a pair of Nike Lunartempos.  I'd never worn them before.  I'm still suspicious of those shoes.  They were more structured than other shores I'd been wearing and I felt a little like I was fighting the shoes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

blimoco

Thanks!  That gives me a good sanity check.  Did you continue wearing them without further issues?  I'm totally suspicious of the shoes right now, whether it's fair or not. Smile  I guess I'll just have to get out there and see if it is a recurring problem.  Just dreading the fall...that was less than pleasant.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I stopped wearing them.  I didn't want to risk a repeat.  I just wear them for walking around.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

curlydan

In late July of this summer I had something similar happen, I believe it was my first run in new shoes after wearing them to walk around for a day or two to get used to them. I stepped on an uneven area of pavement and rolled my ankle worse than I ever have. I attributed it to the new shoes and will probably take my first few runs in new shoes a bit more slowly so I can be careful and avoid the same thing. Months later and I still have a kink in my ankle...

blimoco

Thanks...yeah, I think I'll blame the newness of the shoes.  I continue to run in them and agree with you.  I may just need to be careful until the shoes are broken in as well.  Thankfully, I haven't had taken a tumble again, but even now, on occasion, I feel it my ankle give way when I hit uneven surfaces.  Maybe I'm just not used to having traction on my shoes. ha!