Shoe Question for Half Marathon (Read 560 times)

I've got my first half marathon ever coming up on 10/21 (the Columbus 1/2 marathon) and I'm trying to decide what shoes to wear. Normally, I train in Saucony Triumphs and more recently have started breaking in a pair of Brooks Glycerins. That said, I usually race in my Brooks T5s. Love em! But the furthest I've raced in em is 4 miles. A few buddies said they should be ok for a half marathon but definitely not for a full. These are 2:30-something marathoners so I'm inclined to believe them... but with it being my first race at this distance, I don't want to set myself up for a painful experience. Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't really want to wear trainers for a race since part of the benefit of wearing the T5s is the fact that I FEEL like I'm racing when I'm wearing them. That mental edge goes a long way in my opinion. Thanks, in advance, for your help! Chris
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll be interested to hear the responses to this, too. I have a pair of NB 902s that I wear for speedwork, but I'm chicken to wear them for anything longer. They are definitely not as supportive or cushioned as my regular trainers, but OMG are they lightweight. I may suck it up and try them for a mid-length run this week, just to see how it goes. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I was trying to break in a pair of trainers in time for a half last year, but they were rubbing a couple of spots on my feet and I opted to bring a pair out of retirement on race day. They were trainers, but with the number of miles on them they didn't provide any more cushioning than racing flats. Every step from mile 7 or 8 on was miserable, I know I lost time due to the pounding the miles were giving my feet. I don't know how applicable my experience is, your impressive PR times indicate your stride is a lot different than mine. YMMV, but I would err on the side of additional cushioning for my first half. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you. When you write your report, be sure to let us know which you chose and how it worked out for you.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The truth of the matter is, you will probably be fine in whichever pair you choose. That being said, I think I'd have to recommend that you not wear racing shoes for your first half marathon. You said yourself, you FEEL like you are racing when you wear them, but you really don't want to get lulled into too fast of a pace too early in a race when the farthest that you have raced is less than half of that distance (based on your training log - I could be mistaken there of course!) I am in a similar situation myself, right now, except for a marathon distance. I was trying to decide between racing flats or light weight trainers. My normal trainers that I race in (Asics DS Trainers) are about ready to be retired, so I won't race in those. I don't want to buy new ones. I have been doing 12-14 mile runs without much trouble in my racing flats (Nike Air Zoom Katanas). Since I just won free mizunos for a year, though, I decided to give their Precisions a try and unless something happens in the next month to change my mind I will probably race in those. They only weigh 10.1 ounces and seem like they will be comfortable enough. My recommendation, though, is stick to whichever of your trainers are lighter (unless one is a lot more comfortable) and then try wearing your racers next time if you feel like you are in good enough shape to run a PR and think that your legs will be fine with the lighter shoes.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Truth be told, I'm leaning towards wearing the T5 racing flats. As long as it doesn't pose a huge risk of injury or discomfort, I would much rather wear lighter racing shoes. Although only my first half marathon, I'm hoping to push myself to run a decent time. Wearing anything but my racing flats might take me out of the racing frame of mind.