In Praise of the Saucony Endorphin Pro - PR Achieved. (Read 105 times)

I had never run in a carbon plated running shoe before today. Most are prohibitively expensive and I never felt any benefits would justify the cost. But when Running Warehouse put the Saucony Endorphin Pros on sale at half price is was just way too good a deal to pass up! I thought their Endorphin Speeds with a nylon plate were truly exceptional - and they are - but the Endorphin Pros with a carbon plate take it to next level. These shoes almost demand speed and are actually a little unstable at slow speeds. They have an incredible energy return and I can definitely see what all the hype about carbon plated running shoes is all about.

Anyway...my first run in them today also produced a PR for the 8.00 mile distance and I feel satisfied to nab this before turning 50 soon.

Stats:

Miles: 8.00

Time: 56:15 (7:02/mile pace)

Splits:

First half 4.00 miles in 28:27 for a 7:07/mile pace

Second half 4.00 miles in 27:48 for a 6:57/mile pace

The temperature was 43 degrees with a dew point of 37 and very light wind. Absolutely ideal. I did the run on a dirt rail trail but it was pretty hard packed. These shoes aren't the most stable and I would never use them on a rougher surface.

I overcooked the first mile with its slight uphill gradient in 6:54 but then calmed myself down and managed to do the negative split with the last mile ran in 6:26.

I think Running Warehouse still have some of the model left. It's the first iteration and they're probably trying to clear them out as the Pro 2 has been out for a while now. I highly recommend the shoe!

Route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38058067

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

kcam

Nice, that's a good run!  I snagged a pair from RW for $99 shipped.  Like you, I couldn't pass up a pair of carbon-plated shoes at that price.  I've only run in them once and not an effort as you did but I concur about the lack of stability, I guess because of the large stack height.  Wouldn't want to run in these on anything but road or track. I may 'race' in them on Thanksgiving morning at my club workout.

Nice, that's a good run!  I snagged a pair from RW for $99 shipped.  Like you, I couldn't pass up a pair of carbon-plated shoes at that price.  I've only run in them once and not an effort as you did but I concur about the lack of stability, I guess because of the large stack height.  Wouldn't want to run in these on anything but road or track. I may 'race' in them on Thanksgiving morning at my club workout.

Thanks.  Yeah, even on the rail trail I ran on that was pretty smooth dirt, there were a couple of times when I felt a foot want to go over.  I'd use them again on that trail but nothing rougher.  This was just a time trial for me - an out and back route.  I'd be curious to hear how your 'race' goes!

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

Thanks for the real-world recommendation! And congrats on the PR!

I checked out a pair at local store, Sports Basement, and they seemed incredibly stiff (didn't try them on). Do they flex at all when running in them? If they do, I imagine the spring-loaded effect is very noticeable. Almost bought a pair of Speed-1 for $65 in their "pre-loved" section (looked brand new), but they were black, and everyone knows black running shoes weigh twice as much as lighter colored shoes of the same model.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Thanks for the real-world recommendation! And congrats on the PR!

I checked out a pair at local store, Sports Basement, and they seemed incredibly stiff (didn't try them on). Do they flex at all when running in them? If they do, I imagine the spring-loaded effect is very noticeable. Almost bought a pair of Speed-1 for $65 in their "pre-loved" section (looked brand new), but they were black, and everyone knows black running shoes weigh twice as much as lighter colored shoes of the same model.

Thanks!  They are stiffer than the Speeds but not by as much as I was fearing/expecting.  My calves felt a bit tight an hour or so after the run but my body feels fine today.  It was honestly a delight to run in them.  They felt very lively.  I wouldn't pay $200 for them but for $99 you can't go wrong.  I set out to do a PR as I could just tell when I first put them on that it was going to happen.  I don't think I'd use them that often in regular training but I do periodic time-trials and I think they'd be my go-to shoe and, of course, for any races.

Personal Records:

SMART Approach

The SPEEDs and PROs are magical. I have not heard one my clients or followers be sorry. They are just different and I have run in everything and I feel both models are very comfortable.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I just wonder if the carbon springloaded plate will hurt or help my messed up achilles!

It could go either way, but if it allows me to use less force on toe-off, then it would help. I've found that stiff shoes (prior to the existance of the springloaded carbon plate styles) were hard on my achilles.

the only way to find out is to get a pair, so I guess I'm shopping!

Half Crazy K 2.0

JasonB, congrats on the PR.

I couldn't resist picking up a pair of the Pros from Holabird Sports because they were around $100. I had worn them once a few week back on the treadmill and was meh about them. Then I wore them today. OMG, what a difference. Even my warm up miles were fast (for me). Sppeedwork felt rough, but that's more from me not doing any for 6 week than the shoes. I do my speedwork on a school parking lot that is a roughly 200 m loop. I was a little nervous about cornering, but no issues.

SurlyBill, I got black with neon on them. The neon makes them fast.

kcam

The neon orange laces by themselves are worth 6 seconds per mile.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Holabird Sports has the Pros on a Black Friday deal where you get an extra 20% off, so they were $77. The Speeds had the same deal and came out to $72.

Holabird Sports has the Pros on a Black Friday deal where you get an extra 20% off, so they were $77. The Speeds had the same deal and came out to $72.

looks like I missed THAT!

Nothing available now.

JasonB, congrats on the PR.

I couldn't resist picking up a pair of the Pros from Holabird Sports because they were around $100. I had worn them once a few week back on the treadmill and was meh about them. Then I wore them today. OMG, what a difference. Even my warm up miles were fast (for me). Sppeedwork felt rough, but that's more from me not doing any for 6 week than the shoes. I do my speedwork on a school parking lot that is a roughly 200 m loop. I was a little nervous about cornering, but no issues.

SurlyBill, I got black with neon on them. The neon makes them fast.

Thanks!  Yeah, the difference is pretty remarkable.  Next time you go for a PR, the Pros might make the difference.

Personal Records:

I just wonder if the carbon springloaded plate will hurt or help my messed up achilles!

It could go either way, but if it allows me to use less force on toe-off, then it would help. I've found that stiff shoes (prior to the existance of the springloaded carbon plate styles) were hard on my achilles.

the only way to find out is to get a pair, so I guess I'm shopping!

I'd love to hear a report on how the Pros work out for you.  For what it's worth, 5 days after that all-out effort in the Pros, my body feels fine.

Personal Records:

I'd love to hear a report on how the Pros work out for you.  For what it's worth, 5 days after that all-out effort in the Pros, my body feels fine.

From all the reviews I've read, the Speed is more desirable for me. Unless I find another killer ($75) deal on the Pro, I'll be hunting for the Speed.

I may have spoken too soon.

My PR with the Endorphin Pros was on Sunday.

I did a 10K run on Tuesday with not a single issue.

Due to unusual circumstances, I only ran again today (Saturday) and wore the same shoes as I did on Tuesday (Nike React Infinity).  I got about 2.5 miles into the same course as I ran on Tuesday and my calves started really hurting.  I tried to keep going even stretching them and walking for a bit.  I was able to jog a bit more but then my calves totally seized up on me and I had to hobble home for the last 1.5 miles.  Now I can't even walk.

I can only assume it was the carbon plated Pros that messed up my calves because others have mentioned calf issues from those shoes.  But why the delay?  I ran 2 days later with no problems but 6 days later and complete shutdown of my calves?!!

Personal Records: