Intense training plan - when to take a break? (Read 172 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I'm doing the Hansons Marathon Method training plan. It is the most intense plan I've ever done. (Prior to this training plan I've mostly been a 20-30 mile/week runner - these days I'm 45-50+/week). I'm loving it and, generally speaking, I'm feeling great. But earlier this week I was lightheaded on the treadmill, and since yesterday's 15 miler I've been more than weary. Perhaps weeks of 4am alarms are catching up to me. I have a cold and feel really lethargic.

I'm torn - should I just take a day off (an easy day with an "Easy 6" on the schedule), or should I keep on running? I have a hard interval workout tomorrow, so part of me thinks I should just take some meds, get some extra rest, and get back at it tomorrow.

Advice from you who have done intense training plans? I worry about losing momentum, training, etc. ... but I also want to give my body rest if that's what it needs.

Thanks, all.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

MoBramExam

Check out your graph:

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/be3a5922991f4ec9a8678d32a498f2cf/reports/graph?e10=10&e12=38&t=0&x=12&y=20&zdg=3&zsm=12

IMO, you need to back off more than just a day.  You're upping volume and intensity significantly and quickly and you're getting overtraining feedback.  Even seeing some "pushing easy runs" comments.  Not saying no running at all, but rather chill a bit, recharge the batteries, and then amp it back up slowly.

I've read the Hanson book a couple of times and I really like their training plan, BUT, I think the average person that decides to train for a marathon needs to make sure they have a decent base before starting their training......

In looking at your log I see you're getting pretty good mileage now but you were a little shy before you started the plan and I am 'guessing' your body does need a rest.    If I were you I would take a week and cut back the mileage and intensity just run easy and max out somewhere around 25 or 30 miles for this week - even throw in a couple of total rest days....and let your body 'reboot'...

You're doing GREAT and will get you good  marathon........but listen to your body and adjust accordingly.  Training plans are simply guidelines.......if you were talking to LUKE right now I think he would tell you - you needed a little bit of a break...

Champions are made when no one is watching

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Thanks, guys, for the advice and the encouragement.

Yes, I have ramped up my mileage. I've been an on-and-off 20-30 miles/week guy for the past few years (with some long stretches off). I know I can do this, but perhaps I'm doing a little too much at once. I feel run down and sick. Thanks for affirming my inclination - to rest a little bit. I'll adjust my schedule for a week.

Beyond a 3:30 marathon, my main goal is to run all year, to stay injury-free, and to become a regular 40 miles/week (1500+ miles/year) guy who can easily gear up for a marathon. I'm not there yet. But that's my goal.

Again,thanks.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Are you doing the Hanson beginner program or advance program??

I think the beginner program has one major flaw in that you ramp up your mileage way too fast in the beginning......where you still ought to have a few months of minimum of 30 MPW and probably really need 40 MPW before you start the meat of the training (the last 12 weeks)..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Feeling the growl again

In the grand scheme of a training cycle, an easy week of half your normal volume is going to cost you little conditioning, if any at all.

On the other hand, shorting yourself on rest could wreck all of your hard work.  So if you want to take your highest odds of success, get the rest.  

Off topic, but I'm very impressed at your 4am discipline, I'm trying to become a morning runner and I'm like 0-for-50 on trying to get out of bed early.

Also, start deliberately taking it slower on your easy runs.  At least the ones the day after workouts.  Easy means easy.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

I had a similar ramp up in mileage last year when I was training for my first marathon using the Hansons Plan.  I asked some similar questions as I got to some of my high mileage weeks.  I was lucky to avoid any colds or anything, but I can imagine that would aggravate things.

Here's a quote from the book.

What if I want to take a day off because I feel tired?

If that is the case, you should first determine whether you are injured or simply fatigued.  In training, we all experience aches and pains.  In fact, many runners just don't feel that great when they're logging high mileage.  Feeling somewhat worn-out is a normal and necessary part of the process.  If you find you are getting tired, make sure your easy days are truly easy and you aren't cheating your SOS paces down.  If you are injured, however, you'll want to consult a coach or physician on what course of action to take.

Later in the book it talks about if you do miss a workout or two, the best thing is to just jump back into the plan.  Also they mention that something is better than nothing.  If you can't fit in a key workout, try to at least get a few miles in.

Maybe swap out the hard interval workout with an easy day to help you get back on track.

My 2 cents.  I doubt it is worth that much though.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I thought of that, too, npaden. This plan is built on training with a certain level of what they call "accumulated fatigue." That's why part of me thinks I should just push through. Trust the plan.

However, since I came into this program without the kind of base mileage that I should have had, and since I jumped into the "advanced" rather than the "beginner" program, I'm going to take my body fatigue as a cue to step back the mileage a little bit this week.

Ultimately, I might not have a pure Hansons Marathon Method training season, but I think I'll do alright. I've got 2 months to go until the marathon (April 12), and 7 months to go until I can say that I ran for a year without major injury or interruption. Ultimately, that goal about running for a year is more important than any goal I might have for the marathon.

ulikunkel

If you were lightheaded on the treadmill it's probably from something other than overtraining.  Sounds like low blood sugar.  When I did the Hansons advanced program I had to seriously up my already significant caloric intake.  I'm 6'3" 178 pounds and found I need a lot more food in general.  I mean, like, peanut butter and honey sandwiches before bed, etc.

I thought of that, too, npaden. This plan is built on training with a certain level of what they call "accumulated fatigue." That's why part of me thinks I should just push through. Trust the plan.

However, since I came into this program without the kind of base mileage that I should have had, and since I jumped into the "advanced" rather than the "beginner" program, I'm going to take my body fatigue as a cue to step back the mileage a little bit this week.

Ultimately, I might not have a pure Hansons Marathon Method training season, but I think I'll do alright. I've got 2 months to go until the marathon (April 12), and 7 months to go until I can say that I ran for a year without major injury or interruption. Ultimately, that goal about running for a year is more important than any goal I might have for the marathon.