Boston 2014 (Read 439 times)

Julia1971

This will be my first time doing the full Boston experience including riding the BAA buses from the common.

I thought the bus ride was kinda cool.  I ended up sitting next to a Tuft's student who was a charity runner.  It was her first marathon and she was pretty nervous from what I remember.  I looked her up after the race and was happy to see she finished.

Julia1971

I'm leaning toward no check. Unless there's some reason I would want to hang around before walking back to my hotel?

Not that I recall.  And, I ran in 2012 so there was no need for extra clothes.  I did get turned around in Boston Common, though.  I think I did two or three circuits around the park before I figured out how to get back to my hotel.  But, it was okay because a half dozen people congratulated me on finishing the race.  (No, it didn't occur to me to ask one of them for directions).

Yeah, the new bag check situation threw me a bit. No checking bags in the Athlete's Village. I'm staying with family outside of Boston and will have someone drop me off at the Hopkinton State Park to take a shuttle bus to the start village. It would be ridiculous for them to drive all the way in to Boston so I could take a bus back out to Hopkinton. But that means no bag check option for me.

It looks like the weather will be pretty warm -- predicting 60's in the afternoon, so I think I'll be okay until I can get dry clothes from my husband. But spectators can't be carrying around large bags or backpacks, so I'm planning to pack extra clothes in a clear bag for him to carry for me. That's the plan at the moment.

My understanding from what I've read on the BAA site is that the shuttle bus from Hopkinton State Park does not go to the Athletes village, They are billing that as the spectators parking area.  The official runners are supposed to drive to the South St parking lot to get the shuttle to the village from there.  Double check, though.  I could be wrong.  I often am.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
        2. Run 5k < 16:00
        3. Hold off father time for at least another year
        jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

My understanding from what I've read on the BAA site is that the shuttle bus from Hopkinton State Park does not go to the Athletes village, They are billing that as the spectators parking area.  The official runners are supposed to drive to the South St parking lot to get the shuttle to the village from there.  Double check, though.  I could be wrong.  I often am.

Right, thanks. So it's the South St. parking lot. Still closer than going into Boston.

Since I won't be checking a bag, I guess I'll be wearing a cool finisher's poncho on the T heading back to Concord after the race!

Boston marathon recovery cape

I'm getting quite a collection -- still have the poncho from New York. I'm trying to think of inventive ways to use these. Maybe I'll keep one in my car for emergencies.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

If they're giving out the same type of poncho as NYCM did, people said they were pretty warm so I think I'll be okay until I can get back to my hotel.

The NYC poncho kept me warm enough as I had to walk about a mile to get to my bus due to how the roads were closed off around Central Park. The challenge was how to hold it close enough in the wind to keep me warm while I was also holding the post-race bag and my hands were getting a bit stiff from cold since my gloves were damp and not very warm. It was kind of a crazy sight to see all these people shuffling around the West side of Manhattan in these bright orange ponchos with hoods -- it looked like an invasion of crazed gnomes.

npaden

Any bib numbers or anything of RA folks that we can track?

Just watched wave 2 start, probably a few RA folks in that group.  I think LedLincoln is in that wave.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

L Train

Name  bib number   finish time  comments
                schneidr  139    yep
                abe_mend  456   not walking
                mbehr  732   beat last year's time
                BadDawg  1266   keep on truckin
                The Thunder  3085   party like rock star
                bhearn  3676   just a short run
                LedLincoln  21260   Party wave
                cherylP  22065   beat Tanya's PR
                Ileneforward   2xxxx   Party wave 
                millar1987  1124   last marathon evah 
                deluca  5571   flying from Singapore 
                Bucci  28192   Party wave
                Bash  3655   it's on, like Donkey Kong!
                Ntown Kevin  3875   can't wait
                stadjak  6023   still sore
                xhristopher  6469    
                Nemo Shanti  1522   beat Bash!  hahahahaha
                PaulyGram  4080   shame NaggySpice to PR
                Daddyo  7531   go big or go home
                Greg C  8099   squeak out a PR
                mstuartm  9007    
                Candice S.  9283   lookin' for course PR
                d.a.p.  962   lookin for junk 2 b held
                mikeymike  2882   2nd lowest in Reading

I stepped out of the room for like 2 minutes, and when I came back, Shalane was gone. What happened?

L Train

They dropped her a little after 20.  Jeptoo is dominating.

npaden

Sure hope Meb can keep it up.  That would be something for a 39 year old to pull this off.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Oh, ok. But way to go, Meb!

All business

They dropped her a little after 20.  Jeptoo is dominating.

Whoa. She rocked that race.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

nachosgrande

i don't know.  don't see Meb holding on here.  Sad

Shalane did herself proud today.  Gutsy effort.  Huge PR.

Meb is gonna make me cry. GO MAN, GO!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus