2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Selected 7:45 Staten Island Ferry and no baggage..Don't want to chance the bus and get stuck in a traffic jam somewhere.

ymmv

I chose 7:30 and no baggage. Was the 7:45 option filled up?

Any meetups planned?

lagwagon

Just updated my training plan.  Was thinking sub-3 earlier this year, but got injured training, so I'm dialing my goal back to 3:10 (BQ -5)

re:transportation, has anyone done this recently coming from NJ?  I was thinking about getting a ride to SI (we're ~25 min away) but just read that the SI expressway will close at 6:45am.  So I'm now thinking of the Meadowlands bus, anyone done it before?

only other option would be to drive to downtown (or crash on a friends floor) then get the ferry over...am I missing any options?

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Just updated my training plan.  Was thinking sub-3 earlier this year, but got injured training, so I'm dialing my goal back to 3:10 (BQ -5)

re:transportation, has anyone done this recently coming from NJ?  I was thinking about getting a ride to SI (we're ~25 min away) but just read that the SI expressway will close at 6:45am.  So I'm now thinking of the Meadowlands bus, anyone done it before?

only other option would be to drive to downtown (or crash on a friends floor) then get the ferry over...am I missing any options?

Some NJ running clubs charter buses. I took one from Montclair and I think there are others that pick up at a couple of spots along the GSP. You don't need to be a member of the club to sign up for the bus. This worked out great for me in 2011. I think the bus left around 6:00 from Montclair and we met it along Central Park West after the race. We could leave our dry clothes in the bus and the price included snacks and water.

TakeAHike

I'm signing up for no baggage and the ferry, but I will probably take the bus organized by Westchester Road Runners. It stops in White Plains, Tarrytown and Yonkers.

Here is the link:

NYC MARATHON BUS

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I'm in.  I signed up for 6:45 ferry to be with friends- not sure what wave I will be in with a 3:35 estimated finish time (and Boston qualifying wishful-thinking).  I'm coming from lower manhattan, so shouldn't be a big deal.  Got no baggage option too, since there's not really much I'd want to check anyway.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I signed up for the no baggage option; I want one of those ponchos. I signed up for the bus from the Meadowlands, but will probably take a bus from Montclair sponsored by the Essex Running Club. The club hasn't posted info on a bus yet, so I'll keep my Meadowlands bus option open until I can make alternative plans.

BostonRnr

I signed up for No Baggage and the 7 AM ferry. I'm staying in midtown, but it should be easy enough to get to the ferry and better than a bus.

I signed up for the no baggage option; I want one of those ponchos. I signed up for the bus from the Meadowlands, but will probably take a bus from Montclair sponsored by the Essex Running Club. The club hasn't posted info on a bus yet, so I'll keep my Meadowlands bus option open until I can make alternative plans.

I saw someone requested if they're running a bus on their FB wall, I'm a member of the club, although have yet to make one club run. I'm in Harrison, not too far from Montclair, that might be an option.

Julia1971

I went with the 6am ferry.  (Shrugs).  I have no idea if that's too early or late.  I went with no baggage again.  I'm thinking security is going to be heightened and bag check might be a headache.  I might change my mind, though.  The poncho is very tempting.

Also, going to commit to my A and B goals: sub-3:15 (A) and sub-3:20 (B).  Edited to add: I think I'm going to write that up differently.  I think if I rock my training, I can get sub-3:20.  Dream goal would be 3:15.  I really don't think it's likely but why not dream big?  It's NYCM!

Julia1971

Any meetups planned?

I was thinking there would be.  I put "TBD" for the meet-up in the first post.  I'm going to need help from everyone with that part since I don't know the City that well.

Julia1971

Week 0.  Today, is the day before I kick off my training cycle.  (Pfitz starts with a recovery 5 miler).  I headed out this morning hoping to do 16 miles.  I started out strong - listening to the playlist I created for last year's race - but as the run went on, the effects of the heat intensified.  I switched to a podcast of This American Life.  I threw in the towel after 14.  I hate quitting on workouts but the last 2 miles had a significant uphill (my neighborhood is a high point in this part of the county so all my runs end with a stretch of uphill) and I didn't see the point in killing myself to complete them.  I haven't been running long lately and I hadn't really slowed down from my shorter runs, so it's not all that surprising.  I took a lot of mental notes on hydration, though, that should make next week's long run a little less miserable.

I already mentioned my time goal for the race but I thought I'd mention two training goals I've set for myself.  My current longest running streak is 108 days accomplished this past winter training for RnR USA.  I'd like to run straight through to November 3rd and break that record.  My other training goal is to run a 100 mile week.  Given the heat, I'm giving myself an out on this goal and might wait until winter marathon training.  But, who knows?  September and October might not be too bad...

The week ahead is going to be tough.  I'm ramping up to 65 miles when I haven't been averaging anything close to that.  I'm hoping slowing things down and really paying attention to my recoveries will make things go smoother.

Check in with you all next week!

Docket_Rocket

I also start my training Monday (but for Chicago), as NYCM will be my third of the season.  I cannot wait to get my first workouts!

So, this week I've run less than 20 miles so far and Im taking it very easy, especially since last week I spent 4 days ill and not eating.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

meaghansketch

I'm wrapping up week 6 of my training.  41 miles this week, finishing the week off with a 5-mile race (almost 2 minutes off my PR, but it was warm and humid) on Saturday, followed by a 14-mile long run on Sunday.  I have most of the week off of work for Independence Day, so I'm hoping to get in a few extra miles.

Julia1971

I'm wrapping up week 6 of my training.  41 miles this week, finishing the week off with a 5-mile race (almost 2 minutes off my PR, but it was warm and humid) on Saturday, followed by a 14-mile long run on Sunday.  I have most of the week off of work for Independence Day, so I'm hoping to get in a few extra miles.

I think humidity is slapping us all in the face right about now.  Both pairs of my trainers were soaked after this weekend's runs so I may run in my racing flats tomorrow...  Good luck getting some extra miles in!