Half Marathon Plan (Read 512 times)

I am looking into running a half marathon in the fall. Presently I run about 15-20 miles a week. I like running four days a week with Saturday being my long day. Does anyone have a good half training schedule I can look at?
      When you looking at running your first HM? When I did my first half marathon last year (April 2007), I did not execute my plan well. I think I was wanting to focus on doing several 5/K10K easy runs each week and at least one run of Half Marathon length before my race attempt. If you google half marathon training plans, you should be able to find one that suits you. If you're close to the DFW metroplex, a group of us is going to get together for the Fort Worth 10K Zoo run as a team. For more details check out this link.

Vim

Thanks. I am looking at doing the Half Marathon in San Antonio in November, part of their Rock N' Roll deal. Thanks for the invite to Dallas in April, but I got a run in the Lubbock area on that date.

SMART Approach

Humble, Work your way up gradually to the below..... Day 1 3-6 miles at comfortable pace (2 min slower than 5K pace) Day 2 7-9 miles with middle 3-6 miles at a bit faster pace like 50-60 sec. slower than your 5K pace and then in cooldown miles do 4-8 100M quick striders with full recovery between Day 3 3-6 miles comfortable Day 4 8-12 miles w/ last 2-3 miles at a faster pace if feeling good. Doesn't have to be killer. Listen to your body. If feeling good the last mile or two go a bit faster. Finish w/ 4-8 striders Progress with the plan. Working up to 30-35 miles per week will be sufficient. Certainly, you can do more miles but will need to add days per week. Your choice. Progress slowly. Maybe now your EZ runs are 3 miles but in 4 weeks they will be 4 miles. Add 1/2 mile mile per week to the two longer runs. Start with 4 striders and progress each week. On day 2 you start with 2 faster miles but in 6-8 weeks your are doing 4-5 miles a bit faster. Putting your effort in the two bigger work outs per week will pay off. The other runs are just comfortable runs to get in the miles. The other days are "the work outs". When you race 5ks, 10ks etc, cut the faster miles out of day 2 and make the race day this type of run or your long run with with slow miles before and after.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Hey, nice marmot!

I've been following this one http://www.marathontraining.com/faq/faq_hm.html It's worked well for me.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Thanks for the info. This will help me decide which way I need to go.

Prince of Fatness

Most plans are 3 or 4 months long. So, assuming that you run a half in October, your plan would start sometime in July. I don't see an urgency to pick a plan right away. Between now and July I would focus on building your base mileage. Don't worry about running fast. Just by adding a mile or two a week you'll be in the mid 30's by July, and be more than ready to start the plan.

Not at it at all.