Vibram and Marathons (Read 134 times)

MTLongson

Hey! I got back into running a few years ago with the help of Vibram Five Fingers. They eliminated my knee problems and helped me lose 35lbs, along with reaching my longest runs to date (11 miles). I want to start training for a marathon, but I was wondering if anyone on here has run a marathon in their five fingers, and if so, what was your experience. If there is another shoe that would be similar, but offer a better experience, what would you recommend?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I've seen people do it.  Never looked like people I wanted to emulate.  Some people just do it barefoot -- in the winter (35F).  Happy to hear it worked for you, though.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Cyberic

I know a guy who likes to be a pacer in marathons and does it bare foot. I also know another guy who says that for him a half marathon is long enough in his five fingers because of additional work load on his calves.

I personally run with shoes, and can give no advice, but it can definitely be done.

Hoban-Jay

Hey! I got back into running a few years ago with the help of Vibram Five Fingers. They eliminated my knee problems and helped me lose 35lbs, along with reaching my longest runs to date (11 miles). I want to start training for a marathon, but I was wondering if anyone on here has run a marathon in their five fingers, and if so, what was your experience. If there is another shoe that would be similar, but offer a better experience, what would you recommend?

I personally think you would be better off learning to run barefoot, first.  Then once you have the form and technique down and are comfortable with it, decide if you want to do Vibram or some other minimal shoes some of the time.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Never looked like people I wanted to emulate.

Hey!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have run 8 marathons, 7 in VFFs.  That said, I took a full year gradually getting accustomed to them, including some barefoot running, before I did any long races.  And yes, they did save my knees.  I am now experimenting with other minimalist options such as Tesla and Merrill Vapor Gloves.

I briefly talked to a guy running the Whistlestop Marathon in VFF's a couple years ago.  That course is about 24 miles of gravel, and he was at about mile 10.  So yes, it can be done.  Even on gravel.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I briefly talked to a guy running the Whistlestop Marathon in VFF's a couple years ago.  That course is about 24 miles of gravel, and he was at about mile 10.  So yes, it can be done.  Even on gravel.

That doesn't sound pleasant.

Efes

Hi MTLongson

It's not VFF and it's not a marathon yet.

I've done 32 km trial running twice in minimalist shoes (Invo-8 Trailroc 150 and Vivobarefoot Trailfreak). When I run on the road I'm currently running (and walking for that matter. I've done 90 km over 2 days) in my Vivobarefoot Stealth.

I plan to get a marathon under my belt this year and if it's one on the road it will be in my Stealth

So I'll just say - go for it

Cheers,

Efes

rmcj001

I've done 11 marathons since 2013, 9 in VFFs and 2 in NB minimus. I'll be doing my second Boston in them this year. Took me 3 years of running in them before I attempted a marathon in them. Like any physical adjustment, it takes time to prepare the body. First couple of marathons were tough on the feet after 20 miles or so.  They're not most people's cup of tea and it is more the style of running then the shoes, to a certain extent. The shoes, or lack of them, do make you more mindful of better form.

I'm not willing to take the time to adjust to actual barefoot running. So, the VFFs work well for me. There is no way I'd be running without them these days. Don't think I run quite as much as Ledlincoln, but fairly close. Over 8000 miles in last 4 years, mostly in VFFs.

Ray

Adam Gentile

My first marathon was in Vibrams, the next 5 were all barefoot.   Been running barefoot for 7 years now.

https://barefootgentile.wordpress.com/