Recovery time for knee pain (Read 957 times)

ud32

So I went for a run today and 7 miles in had sharp pain on outside of left knee. Wouldn't go away until I stopped, walked, stretched and then it would flare up 5 minutes later until I repeated the process. Searched this forum and online - could be runner's knee ?? I thought I was careful with mileage. Today's run had more hills than usual, but I ran slow.

Anyway, is there any rule of them on getting this better in a reasonable amount of time ? My plan was to stretch it, ice it lots and even wear one of those neoprene compression sleeves on it. Was hoping that and 2 days rest would be enough. After that return to running and do some more quad strengthening exercises.

Thoughts ?

Roxy27

my little devil

I've been dealing with bum knees myself and it me a couple of weeks to get back on track. During recovery time I: iced a lot, did some strengthening exercises (which I will continue for prevention), biked, walked, and did the elliptical to keep moving and staying in shape.

I have found with other injuries in the past that if you do not let it heal you will just make everything worse in the long run (not a pun Smile.

Best of luck!

an amazing likeness

Since you say outside of the knee, and it stops when you stop running....sounds like it could be ITBS.  There are many good discussions here which share various approaches to treating. Search for "knee pain itbs" or something like that.  Here's one discussion thread.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zonykel

Since you say outside of the knee, and it stops when you stop running....sounds like it could be ITBS.  There are many good discussions here which share various approaches to treating. Search for "knee pain itbs" or something like that.  Here's one discussion thread.

Concur. Sounds like an IT band issue.

Take it easy and rest if you can. Try an alternate source of exercising, like stationary bike, elliptical machine, or aqua jogging if you want to avoid losing too much of your current fitness.

I had a knee problem before (not necessarily IT band), and it took months for it to go away. More than likely, my attempt to continue running slowed down my recovery process.

ud32

Hmm - didn't think of that. I'll check out the discussion. What about pool running in deep water - think that is OK while I recover ?

zonykel

Hmm - didn't think of that. I'll check out the discussion. What about pool running in deep water - think that is OK while I recover ?

I think so. It becomes a non-weight bearing exercise, so there's a lot less stress on the knee.
              ud32

Took 2 full days off - lots of ice and wore a compression sleeve - light stretching today. Feels 100x better tonight. Pain is about a 2 down from about an 8. Too soon for a stationary bike tomorrow ? Plan on giving it a try and then stopping at first sign of any pain.

what worked for me, within a couple of days... Jog slowly and stop before you get to the point where it hurts. I could do just under a mile. Do a really good IT band stretch. Repeat 3x daily. Good luck, not fun!