Estimated calories vs. meassured calories (Read 170 times)

eric :)

As some have pointed out, calories expended is not a directly measured value, where as distance, duration, heart rate, weight, temperature, etc can be measured readily.  Calories can be measured by measuring your CO2 output.  All other methods are estimated based on other data such as weight and heart rate.  Only directly measurable values are stored.  Derived values are calculated on the fly based on known formulas.

As a commentary:

Calorie is a measure of energy consumed while doing work, such as moving your body from point A to point B.  The amount of energy consumed is mostly a function of your weight, the distance traveled horizontally and vertically (which is why walking consumes fewer calories than running).  To some degree, some energy is expended to overcome air resistance.  I have not seen the formula for determining calories by heart rate so I can't say whether it is accurate.  I believe that it merely refines the value obtained by weight and distance.

Feeling the growl again

But if the dummy is running that many times in a day  

You shouldn't talk about AmoresPerros that way.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This thread is delivering in so many ways!

A little later in the day, same dude goes and runs the same 5 mile course, but now it is 78 degrees outside and so his heart rate is higher than when he first ran. Still 9 m/m, but a higher HR. Still burns x calories.

Is this because he is not acclimated due to the polar vortex? Is that even still a thing?

Runners run

jfa

Is that even still a thing?

I don't know about up north. It left NJ some time ago.

Hope that fecker stays away too.

I think OP has fled the scene.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Naw, it is bed time in Denmark. He'll be back.

flarunner

According to the American College of Sports Medicine, calories burned per minute are determined by your weight, your speed and the incline.

Walking: VO2 = (0.1*S) + (1.8*S*G) + 3.5

Running: VO2 = (0.2*S) + (0.9*S*G) + 3.5

Where:

VO2 - gross oxygen consumption in mL/kg/min

S - speed in meters per minute

G - percent grade expressed as a fraction

*Taken from ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. 6th Edition

gpb

According to the American College of Sports Medicine, calories burned per minute are determined by your weight, your speed and the incline.

So...  if I run downhill I actually generate calories instead of burning them!  Cool!  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So...  if I run downhill I actually generate calories instead of burning them!  Cool!  

Haven't you noticed that while driving down a mountain, your gas tank actually gets fuller?

kcam

Walking: VO2 = (0.1*S) + (1.8*S*G) + 3.5

Where:

VO2 - gross oxygen consumption in mL/kg/min

S - speed in meters per minute

G - percent grade expressed as a fraction

*Taken from ACSM's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. 6th Edition

How does pooping your pants while running.affect calorie burn?  Needs to be a checkbox in the log.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How does pooping your pants while running.affect calorie burn?  Needs to be a checkbox in the log.

Maybe *you* want to put a checkbox in your log. I don't.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

checkbox in the log.

Gross.

Runners run

TripleBock

I can hold my breath for over 2 minutes under water

Lots of things cause heart rate to vary during exercise (and while at rest). Most of them have nothing to do with caloric expenditure.

That was an assertion, which is different than a question.

Further, I know a thing or two about physiology. Science is not important so long as I can make this personal. That is what this thread has taught me.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

I wonder if BAC has any impact on HR while running?

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock