Forks over Knives - have you seen it and has it made you question your eating habits (Read 291 times)

I do not create this post with the intention of trying to convert anyone to vegetarianism or veganism (as I am not one myself) nor to launch a pointless debate between vegans and inveterate carnivores.

Just curious how many people have seen this documentary, and of those who have seen it, did it make you think about changing your eating habits

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Little Blue

Before I saw the video, I read the book The China Study by the same guy.  I went vegetarian after reading it.  I'm not hardcore, if something has  little chicken broth in it, I'm not going to freak out.  And I still eat dairy.  But the only meat in the house is cooked for the dog. Smile

It made sense to me, and it was an easy transition.

Feeling the growl again

Pseudoscience.  Multiple degrees in biochemistry and a career in healthcare.

I kill things and eat them.  Lean meat is good.  All meat is not equal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Saw it and movies like it. Made me more conscious about eating fruits and vegetables.  I still eat meat.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Walk-Jogger

I really prefer chopsticks for most things.

Retired &  Loving It

Overall it's a very good presentation of the health benefits of the vegan perspective.  It's been a while since I saw it, but it made a big impression at the time, and helped me transition toward eliminating meat to a very large extent from my diet.

I watched it and bought a copy of the dvd to loan to people. I hadn't eaten red meat in over 20 years but still ate chicken occasionally. After F over K, I quit the chicken too. Unfortunately, I still haven't given up the dairy. I have decreased it but am still a cheese/ice cream lover. Working on it though.

an amazing likeness

What...no love for sporks?  Can't there be a compromise?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Tiefsa

I've often thought of being a vegetarian, but I can't make the switch.  I have significantly cut down the amount of meat I eat though.

I would be a pescetarian (I'm not sure if I spelled that right) if more people in my family liked fish and seafood as much as me.

BeeRunB

For every Forks Over Knives there will be another documentary that says the opposite, or it being debunked by conflicting studies. All accusing each other of bad science. Fish oil was good, now it's bad. This vitamin was good now it's bad. After trying many different eating "lifestyles" the past few decades, I decided to follow my own inner directives on the matter of eating, because I just get insane listening to all of these conflicting reports. I believe people were happier when they ate whatever they wanted and didn't have all this bad/good information coming at them all the time. They ate what they wanted, and when it was time to die, they died, like everyone else who came before. One thing is obvious, with or without science, is that if you eat too much and don't move much, at some point it is highly likely you're going to get fatter. Another thing that is obvious is that being under constant stress affects people's health and mental well-being. We don't need science to tell us these things we see with our own eyes. I eat what makes me happy, and try to be happy with the food I eat. I choose to no longer be stressed out about food and my inevitable demise. Until that day comes, I figure if I keep moving, then moving will beget moving, and perhaps, if I'm lucky, I'll drop this mortal coil during a run, thinking about that juicy bacon burger I was going to have when I got home.

"Don't worry, eat happy"

--Mob Barley

"Twinkie, twinkie, sponge cake bar

you're so creamy yes you are..."

--traditional

running metalhead

I really prefer chopsticks for most things.

Heck! I was going to answer the same.

But I use Koran chopsticks and spoon, the one made of steel, Bwahaaaahaaaa Evil

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

flatland mountaineer

not seen nor do I plan to but wouldn't matter. HELL NO!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

GC100k

But I use Koran chopsticks and spoon, the one made of steel, Bwahaaaahaaaa Evil

Muslim chopsticks?  They're halal?

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I've watched it along with 3-4 other similar documentaries.  I follow it 90% of the time, am finally dropping weight, and feel much better.

sugnim

I saw it and didn't think too much of it.  I was vegetarian fro 13 years until I met a rancher who showed me how you can actually improve the local environment & your health by raising animals properly.  At home, my SO & I now raise chickens for eggs & meat along with our extensive garden of vegetables, fruit, and herbs.  There is nothing that makes me happier at meal time than to be able to serve a plate of all home-grown food, protein & all.  I think there must be a balance in all things that we eat; moderation is good I think that neither veganism nor carnivorism are healthy ways to eat.