Spring Marathon Pick: Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, or Sugarloaf (Read 98 times)

jmsab23

Andy, I haven't run Sugarloaf, but many friends have, and most say great things about it. I ran a 5K in Myrtle Beach a few years ago in the spring. They have the Grand Strand Runners (or something like that) that seem to be a nice group.

BTW, I saw your Close to the Coast pic and the date (2015), so I looked up the results. You finished right in front of me! Three seconds apart. I've run that race a few times.

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25

DesiRunner

I have run Sugarloaf but not other 2. I love Sugarloaf and probably back again next year to race it by taking Boston easy as warm weather seems to be a norm nowadays for Boston. Sugarloaf is a rural point to point marathon and so hardly any spectator support if that is important for you. You do need to be careful with downhill miles from 11 to 19 or so as it is easy to go too fast and blow up the quads and suffer in the last 10k. On the plus side it forces you to run slower 1st half and most people negative split especially with miles 6 to 10 being net uphill. Race starts 7am and so better odds of good weather throughout the race. As it is point to point and just one road, you save about a minute or so due to less distance traveled. Of all the 21 marathons I ran, this one registered the shortest distance on my garmin (26.33 mi). They have good food, warm soup and free massage at finish but not much else (atleast 5 years ago when I ran)

PRs: 5k - 18:22 (01/16), 10k - 38:00 (08/17), Half - 1:23:44 (09/14), Full - 2:53:48 (05/18 - Maine Coast)

PortyMan

With the changed course, do you happen to know what streets the starting and finish line are located? I decided on Shamrock and now am looking into hotels but wasn't sure if the course map on the website was the updated one or not.

By Virginia Beach I assume you meant Shamrock.

It's a very well managed race - it was my first marathon, and still my PR.  Understand that they have changed the course - now the full and half marathoners start together.  Additionally, with the new course, if it's a windy day, the odds are good that your last few miles will be into a strong headwind.  On the previous version of the marathon course, you hit that section at mile 11 or so - much easier to handle then.

I can't speak to the other two from direct experience.  I know people have run fast at Myrtle Beach.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The full now starts with the half, about 10-15 blocks north of the old marathon start.  The finish is the same.

http://www.shamrockmarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2017/09/SM_Map.pdf

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

LisaHikes

I'm signed up for the Sugarloaf Marathon, I've hiked in the area countless times and the course is beautiful <3

5K:√ 10K:√ HM:√  FM: Sugarloaf May 2018