weights while on a treadmill? (Read 2109 times)

Is this a bad thing to do? I'm talking light weights. LIke 3-5 lbs. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who does this, and is it a waste of time.

- Anya

Scout7

What's the purpose?
        What's the purpose?
        I try to use weights a few times a week to tone my arms. It just seemed to me I could get some aerobic exercise while doing it. You know, kill two birds....

- Anya

Scout7

Ah. I dunno if that would work or not.

The Greatest of All Time

Even though it's not a lot of weight, I wouldn't do it. It might mess up your running form and your lifting form is going to be suspect as well. If you were walking on the treadmill, then maybe.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            protoplasm72

Sounds like an injury waiting to happen to me. Run then lift, don't do both at the same time.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Sounds like an injury waiting to happen to me. Lift then run, don't do both at the same time.
                Fixed. Lots easier to run after lifting.
                mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Wasn't this the purpose behind those "Handweights" from back in the 80s? They had the handle on the to allow you to slide them over your hand and grip the weight while you walked. I think the idea was to add a little weight to pump up your arms and give you more exercise by hauling around more weight at the same time. Also, for fans of The Biggest Loser, you'll notice them (at least at the beginning of the season) walking on the treadmill and pumping dumbbells with their arms. But in both these cases the users were walking, not running. And as for whether or not it helps, I have no firsthand knowledge. But I can't imagine TBL making this up and showing it only as a stunt for TV. It just wasn't focused on enough for that .
                  protoplasm72

Fixed. Lots easier to run after lifting.
                    I'll stick with Run then Lift. Running is a good warm up especially if you are just lifting upper body though I do a few minutes even before lower body lifting cause I don't want to just start lifting with cold muscles. I'd never do a hard run on a lift day regardless of the order. Running after lifting with tired muscles can lead to break down in form which could result in more injuries. At least this is what I've heard. Smile

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

A Saucy Wench

Is this a bad thing to do? I'm talking light weights. LIke 3-5 lbs. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who does this, and is it a waste of time.
                      Handweights while running isnt a good thing. One, you arent getting that much out of it, two you have the weights at the end of your arms which gather a lot of momentum - you have a higher risk of hurting yourself from the weighted momentum than actually gaining any strength from it. If you really want to add weight to your treadmill workout you would want to use a weighted vest. This doesnt help you build strength, it just burns more calories. Hotter than sin, and still has the potential for injury although it is a bit closer to "normal weight" distribution. Run 0.1 faster or 1 mile longer and forget about the weights. Run then lift, lift then run....the order is a debate for the masses...either way, dont try to multitask.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hannibal Granite

Run then lift, lift then run....the order is a debate for the masses...either way, dont try to multitask.
                        Agree with not multi-tasking, As for which should go first I've always heard that whatever is your primary exercise should be first. If you are primarily a runner, then run first. If you are more a bodybuilder type who is running just to "get in some cardio" then lifting should be first. The idea being that the most time and more importantly energy should be focused on the primary goal. I've tries it both ways and when I lift first my run is awful, I feel tired and sluggish regardless of how fast I'm trying to run. The lifting sessions on those days were much better than usual though.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

What are your thoughts about using dumbells while walking on the treadmill? Not fast, but just to give some aerobic time to your lifting?

- Anya

give it a try...if it works...great...if it causes problems...stop.. also depends on the overall goal...becoming a world class runner? or being fit?? I wouldn't wear ankle weights...but I don't think a little extra weight in the arms is going to be a big problem. I assume that you are running outside and the TM isn't the ONLY thing you do??

Life is Good

I use 3 lbs weights when I walk on the treadmill, it does tone the arms without building bulk, and it gives a little cadio lift as well. I also set the treadmill at a 6% grade

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

give it a try...if it works...great...if it causes problems...stop.. also depends on the overall goal...becoming a world class runner? or being fit?? I wouldn't wear ankle weights...but I don't think a little extra weight in the arms is going to be a big problem. I assume that you are running outside and the TM isn't the ONLY thing you do??
                                God no. I hate the mill, but use it when I have to. Lately, I've been using it quite a bit. I also do boot camp, walk, and bike. ( when I can ! ) I have a lot of flab on my arms, and just wish it would go away. I don't have time nor the desire to go to the gym and "really" lift... The core work at boot camp has helped too. We do a lot of old school push ups. Man, are those hard !! Oh, and I still have not lost the 6 lbs I gained at Xmas. I'm down three.. I really need to cut back on the eating/drinking thing...

- Anya