Shin Splint Advice (Read 63 times)

hitch

About 50 days ago I came down with a case of really bad shin splints after going to far and to hard during a hill run. I’m feeling a bit better now, but wanted to feel completely comfortable again before attempting to start up. I don’t want to re-injure my leg again by trying to get out there before it’s fully healed.

I’ve been doing some exercises to try and and strengthen not just my shin, but my lower body in general. For those that have suffered from shin splints, do you have any methods that worked for healing and how you keeping them away afterwards? I feel that the leg that was injured is slightly less strong then the other.

Would love to hear your advice in stretching and strengthening (every site I read has something different and I'm looking for others that have suffered through the same pain and managed it). I've also been using the foam roller to loosen up tight areas in my leg.

Thanks!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I've had shin-splints thrice, and potential shin-splints a few times (but headed it off).

First time my shoes were beat.  I mean really dead.  I'd just started running 8 years after college, and was using the same sneaks I sometimes used to mowing the lawn.  Replaced the shoes and the splints went away in a week.

Second time I was pushing way too hard too early in my couch to marathon training plan (still in base building phase).  Removed all "hard" days, and just did "easy" runs for six weeks.  ("easy" runs were mostly 6-10miles at conversational pace / 40mpw).

Third time, was during was similar, but in a 2nd marathon training effort.  Doing easy runs wasn't my backup plan, but was training hard at this point.  Found that massaging my calves aggressively sorted the issue out.  Rolling, etc.  Massaging and Rolling the front side of the shin was working against the issue, so I stopped doing that.

Mostly, I find shin-splints a symptom of Will/Ambition exceeding actual fitness.  If rolling the crap out of your calves doesn't work, easy runs are the usual recipe for good health.

Best of luck.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

If it's compartment syndrome; the muscle growing faster than the sheath surrounding it and splitting/damaging the sheath, or expanding beyond the sheath's ability to contain during contraction, then backing off a bit while it heals up is the "cure". Easy jogging runs can still be done.

Getting right shoes will definitely help, and avoid orthotics and aftermarket "support" insoles. Flexible soled shoes will put less strain on the calves, as will higher drop shoes. Compression socks or sleeves might help with faster healing and recovery because they supposedly increase blood flow, which is the crucial component to healing injured tissue. Not just while running, but wear them other times as well, anytime you'll be upright.

Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation is the standard panacea to lower leg injuries and aches.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

hitch

Thanks, guys. I'm looking to strengthen my glutes and calves to make sure there wasn't a weakness there that might have caused something as well. Greatly appreciated.