2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Andres1045

Calbears - I’ve had a word with the boss (wife) and Boston 2021 is definitely on.

Yes! I love this. Assuming I get a qualifier, I'll be there. And maybe even if I don't.

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yes! I love this. Assuming I get a qualifier, I'll be there. And maybe even if I don't.

Excellent!  Any congrats on the Houston Half at the weekend....I didn’t know you were in such great shape again! I don’t pay enough attention on Strava and only perk up when someone posts a race. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Andres - I somehow missed your half on my Strava, I'm sorry about that! I commented on there.

Nimmals - I almost caught up to your guy Franklin, I can't remember if it was around mile 10 or 11. But once I closed the gap to about 10 seconds, he slowly sped up and built it back up. He raced a great race, never really let me reel him in. I wonder if I was running with your guy who caught the cramp, I was with one guy who was Dashing Whippets for the first few miles, and then another guy for a couple of miles around 6-7.

Cal - a sparkling glass of Stoli sounds like my worst nightmare. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

Mikkey - too cool to follow people's training now that you're an official moose mugger?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Cal - a sparkling glass of Stoli sounds like my worst nightmare. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

JMac - you probably never wanted to make real friends then 

Says the guy who just run 1:20 HM without much training for it...

Cal: Nice build of the mileage. What is you usual racing weight? Whatever it is plenty of time to reach it by the showdown with Mikkey. 

I think it was around 155 lbs at the time of my PR race 4 years ago.

Me: Got in my highest volume to date this cycle hitting 90 miles again for the first time since last March.  Nothing overly crazy as far as  speed or workouts go as I ran one big one on Wednesday with 10 at marathon pace effort (or slightly faster with the heat) that I had to break up into 5.6 + 4.4 since I needed to grab some fluids.  Other effort was a monster 21 mile LR on Saturday where I must have lost a good 7-10 pounds of fluids and took a lot of mental toughness to close out those last 5-6 miles.  Hopefully, some type of relief is coming soon as I feel pretty good getting in the consistent high volume, but the heat/humidity hasn't allowed me to attempt some of the Daniel's style TLT runs that get (my opinion) me ready for the last 8-10 miles of the marathon.  Long term forecast still looks pretty warm, but after next weekend at least the humidity levels should drop below peak summer range!

Great week weather! Especially I envy that run with 10 pounds of weight loss - I wish I could lose 10 lbs in one run and just stay at that level - it's so painful to think about all the time it would take to lose 10-12 pounds.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - too cool to follow people's training now that you're an official moose mugger?

Yes!  You will know the feeling if you ever become a Moose Mugger 😁.  Seriously, I hope Andres starts posting his marathon training on here as I can relate to a weekly summary and comments better than Strava 👍

I just read your RR on 1:30 and it was a great read....battling the headwind on the second half and not running the tangents to stay true was 👍.  And you are only 32yo?...I hope you don’t retire. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

jayluf

So many epic efforts lately - you all are crushing it. Very inspiring!

Traveling up to Toronto this weekend and jumping in a half. Not in PR shape, but really looking forward to racing. Has anyone done the Valencia full? Trying to decide between doubling up with Chicago/NYC or NYC/Valencia next year.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So many epic efforts lately - you all are crushing it. Very inspiring!

Maybe you could elaborate on the epic efforts that have inspired you??

Resident Historian

[delurking since I'm far too old to post on this thread now]

Has anyone done the Valencia full? Trying to decide between doubling up with Chicago/NYC or NYC/Valencia next year.

Yes, but quite a few years ago. The city rebuilt most of the port area for recreation so they changed the course to start and finish there*, and the date moved to early December, but the key points are the same: Fast course, almost flat, usually good weather (occasionally a little warmer than ideal), huge and noisy support along the course, and the local organization is by runners for runners. Valencia's a great city for running. 

PM me if you have questions.

[Relurking]

* See the shots on the website https://www.valenciaciudaddelrunning.com/maraton/maraton/ with the pools and the almost futuristic looking builldings

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

darkwave

Mother of Cats

A friend of mine is doing Valencia (I tried to talk him into Indy, but for some reason he thought Valencia was a better vacation spot...).  I'll let you know what he thinks of it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

jayluf

Maybe you could elaborate on the epic efforts that have inspired you??

When I opened Strava on Sunday after my run, I think the first 20+ hits on my feed were either PRs or gritty race efforts through less than ideal conditions (eg anyone that ran MCM). I’m continually inspired when I see someone just show up to a starting line, no matter what the result is, knowing all the work it took to get there.

jayluf

[delurking since I'm far too old to post on this thread now]

Yes, but quite a few years ago. The city rebuilt most of the port area for recreation so they changed the course to start and finish there*, and the date moved to early December, but the key points are the same: Fast course, almost flat, usually good weather (occasionally a little warmer than ideal), huge and noisy support along the course, and the local organization is by runners for runners. Valencia's a great city for running. 

PM me if you have questions.

[Relurking]

* See the shots on the website https://www.valenciaciudaddelrunning.com/maraton/maraton/ with the pools and the almost futuristic looking builldings

Awesome - this is what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

When I opened Strava on Sunday after my run, I think the first 20+ hits on my feed were either PRs or gritty race efforts through less than ideal conditions (eg anyone that ran MCM). I’m continually inspired when I see someone just show up to a starting line, no matter what the result is, knowing all the work it took to get there.

Very inspiring. Thank you.

cinnamon girl

JTReeves: how does it feel after the PT work? I suppose they gave you exercises / stretches to do - How's that going. lol. I hope you're feeling better!!

Mikkey: you still running that 10k in Nov that's listed on page 1? What tune-up marathon are you going to run in 2020? 

Jayluf: definitely trust Longboat re: running and racing in Spain. I love it.

Marky_Mark_17

*unlurk*

I've got a 10,000m race coming up and had a question for those who have a bit more experience on the track than me.  Would the VF Next% be a good option for this race?

I've ruled out spikes (my calves were trashed when I ran a 5,000m in them and I have a goal half soon after this race), so it's basically either traditional flats or the Next%.  I've found it to be an awesome shoe for HM's and 10k road races, so really it's just a question of whether it'll also perform on the track.  Kind of thinking I'll wear the VF Next% unless anyone has any good reasons not to.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

*unlurk*

I've got a 10,000m race coming up and had a question for those who have a bit more experience on the track than me.  Would the VF Next% be a good option for this race?

I've ruled out spikes (my calves were trashed when I ran a 5,000m in them and I have a goal half soon after this race), so it's basically either traditional flats or the Next%.  I've found it to be an awesome shoe for HM's and 10k road races, so really it's just a question of whether it'll also perform on the track.  Kind of thinking I'll wear the VF Next% unless anyone has any good reasons not to.

I have no direct experience with them on the track.  I did note that Sondre Moen wore the Next% for the 10K at the World Champs in Doha last month, so there is some professional precedent.

My primary concern would be the stack height combined with the regular turning.  However, I see people do track workouts in the Zoom Fly on the track all the time, and it's clearly not an issue for them.

Do you find the Next% easier on your calves?  I ask because I've had no issue with them, but I know several people who have noted calf tightness or other issues after running fast in the VF4% or Next%.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.