Will Running Ruin My Knees? (Read 1596 times)

That said I'm looking into quad or other exercises now. What exercises do you do to prevent knee pain?
    Squats. Full, ATG (a$$ to grass) squats. One-legged squats are great but a bit more quad dominant. You want balance. A full deep squat hits quads, hamstrings, glutes, hips and back and is GOOD for your knees. It's a myth that going deep when squatting is bad for your knees. It's actually the opposite. When you only do a partial squat, you never transfer the weight from your quads to your hamstrings and glutes. All the shearing force goes to your knees. Go light weight and go deep. Your knees will thank you.

C-R

Fact: 100% of triathletes die.
      Fixed. Runners merely fade away.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Cycling helps strengthen the knees. If you have access to a stationary bike, that would work too. When I first started running, my knees bothered me. I went to a podiatrist, because after reading a bunch of garbage on the internet, I got the crazy idea that I must need orthotics. I "hand picked" the doctor. He's run dozens of marathons and a few Ironmans. He also happens to be a shoe expert, having worked in a running shoe store while in school in addition to writing articles about them. He said the sore knee problem, in my case at least, was normal for a beginning runner and that it would eventually work itself out. It did. My knees haven't been sore in over a year. He suggested cycling a couple times a week. We didn't even talk about weight lifting except that he specifically suggested to NOT do leg extensions.

Why is it sideways?

The best way to protect your knees is to lop them off and stick them in a freezer. I heard that they'll preserve their condition for thousands of years that way.
          Tracie

It's a myth that going deep when squatting is bad for your knees.
            Ahh thanks... was thinking exactly that. Will try light deep ATG, cycling and no leg extensions.
            My knees haven't been sore in over a year. He suggested cycling a couple times a week. We didn't even talk about weight lifting except that he specifically suggested to NOT do leg extensions.
            It's about a week now and no more pain. Hope it's corrects itself if not I'm going to have to figure out how to do the freezer method.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have discovered that the best way to forget about your knees is to get achilles tendonitis. Then you just think about your ankles and the knees never cross your mind. Dead
                Riding horses for 12 years as a nearly daily event has hurt my knees way more than running has. I have a lot less problems now that I only run every day and don't ride. (Well unless I sprint down a rather long steep hill...bad idea lol)