interval training? (Read 891 times)

Hi everyone! I'm new to running. My approach so far has been to run at a slow speed for as long as I can hold out. My hope is to gradually build my endurance and then work on speed. However I've been googling around and found a lot of recommendations saying you should run for a minute or so at a higher speed, walk a minute, repeat. I find this to be torture. Will doing my method work or is it necessary for me to do the interval thing to become better? Any training advice would be appreciated! Thanks! - Lisa

Will doing my method work or is it necessary for me to do the interval thing to become better? Any training advice would be appreciated! Thanks! - Lisa
      Lisa, It depends entirely upon your goals. I think that for most of your runs, you should stick to just running at a slow speed for as long as you can hold out, or at least for a length of time. If you are trying to lose weight or to get faster, or to become healthier, then intervals will be your best friend (even if they are tougher!) Since you are new to running, you probably do not need to worry about interval workouts too much. You are going to see a lot of gains just because you are out there. Rather than going as long as you can, though, you might want to start mixing in walking breaks. Run a tiny bit quicker (but not enough to be complete torture) for 5 minutes or so, then walk for a minute, etc. You really do not need a huge base to start doing intervals, and they will help your running at any level that you do them. If you want to know a bit more about them, read this article: http://news.runtowin.com/2007/05/14/answers-for-the-top-questions-about-interval-training.html It will probably tell you more than you really need or want to know, especially as a new runner, but it answers the questions that I am asked the most frequently about intervals.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks for the advice + article.

Imminent Catastrophe

Lisa, the only reason you might need to do faster running is if you want to race faster. If you're in it for fitness there's no need for speedwork, and in fact aerobic conditioning develops better if you keep to an easy pace. Many elite athletes do easy "base" running for several months before doing any speedwork.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Lisa, the only reason you might need to do faster running is if you want to race faster.
            (Or lose weight after hitting a plateau. Or challenge yourself more. Or changing things up a little to keep from getting bored. Or keep from getting repetitive motion injuries [although that can be a fine line]) I agree that starting with a base is probably the better way to go. Just wanted to point out that there's more than one reason to want to do speedwork.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

(Or lose weight after hitting a plateau. Or challenge yourself more. Or changing things up a little to keep from getting bored. Or keep from getting repetitive motion injuries [although that can be a fine line]) I agree that starting with a base is probably the better way to go. Just wanted to point out that there's more than one reason to want to do speedwork.
              Agreed. But she's a beginner. That's where I was coming from.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016