Endurance Athletes and Anabolic Steroids? (Read 2553 times)

Who are the elite distance runners that use anabolic steroids? http://www.physorg.com/news71508517.html
    To boost their strength is not the sole reason athletes turn to steroids, Yesalis adds. "They have been taken for at least 45 years by endurance athletes to recover from workouts rapidly. With steroids, a marathon runner can run longer, a swimmer can do more laps and a cyclist can spend more time pedaling." In sports where endurance is everything, the ability to last longer during workouts and competitions confers a definite advantage.

The Greatest of All Time

This is nothing new. Steroids work period. They can have a positive performance result in almost every sport you can think of. They are not just for people looking to add tons of muscle. Floyd Landis? Came up hot for testosterone, lost the Tour de France title and he probably weighs 160 lbs or less. If cyclists have done it, I am sure runners have as well, but probably to a lesser degree. The level of saturation of performance enhancing drug use in a specific sport appears to be largely financially driven. Very few top level runners make a lot of money compared to baseball or football players. Therefore the stimulus to use drugs is probably not as strong. I, personally, don't have a problem with steroids. I don't buy into the media hype about the negative health effects (unless they are extremely abused). Taken under a physician's supervision they are pretty safe. There are more and more physicians these days giving testosterone to men going through andropause (aging related low testosterone levels). Men, like women, suffer from osteoporosis as they age and research has shown that testosterone supplementation can halt or even reverse this process. Also as men age, we tend to lose muscle mass and increase fat mass. Again, testosterone supplementation can reverse this. This topic is pretty hotly debate in the medical community, but if you go to Pubmed and do some searching you will not find too many papers that show significant negative health implications from clinical steroid administration. You will find, however, a number of papers that support the statements I just wrote and more. I will add that children or young adults have no business using them.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        I would say the drugs of choice for distance runners are HGH and EPO. HGH is basically untestable currently and EPO can only be tested within a week or so after taking it.

The voice of mile 18

wow lots of 'em have been caught especially cyclists (see operation puerto I think)

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

milkbaby

Go to this webpage: http://www.iaaf.org/antidoping/sanctioned/index.html There are links for which athletes have been sanctioned (banned from competition) by IAAF from competition. There are yearly lists from 2003 to 2008. You can see what test they failed, when they failed, and what their punishment was. For example, Lyubov Denisova tested positive for Prostanozol and Testosterone in 2007. She has won the Honolulu and Los Angeles marathons and has been 2nd place at New York. But EPO tends to be one of the more popular performance enhancing drugs of choice for long distance runners.
            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura