Anything a taller runner needs to know? (Read 1998 times)

Rookie Runner

I don't know what made me think of this.  Does being tall have any advantaged or disadvantages that I should be aware of?  Despite being 6'3", I feel like I take very average strides when I run, and I'm not talking about average for my height.  Just average in general.  Is this a good thing, a bad thing, or neutral?  What about being susceptible to certain injuries?  How about stuff I'm not thinking of?  Ways to use my long legs to my advantage in a race?

Anyone?  Anyone?

The main advantage is you can probably reach the top shelves in the cupboards without a step stool.

In a race, I think your long legs would be useful for stepping over short people in the crowded spots instead of having to run around them or getting blocked in - I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could step over people. Another thing that comes to mind is that it's probably easier for you to step over the cracks without changing your stride too much - breaking your mother's back would not be a good thing in a race.

On a serious note, don't worry about it. The biggest thing I've learned about being new to running, is that almost none of the details matter very much. Just keep on running and things will (usually) take care of themselves.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Watch out for low-hanging branches.  I'm 6'3" and apparently whoever trims the trees along the right-of-ways in my town is about 5'1".  Big grin

xor

Watch out for low-hanging branches.  I'm 6'3" and apparently whoever trims the trees along the right-of-ways in my town is about 5'1".  Big grin

It's the Menehune.

Taller runners are more likely to run into overhead obstacles (low hanging branches) and more spiderwebs. Wink

(Chris's post wasn't there yet when I started to respond.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            Purdey

Self anointed title

I would say that you are at a serious disadvantage. Haile Gebreselassie is only 5'5'' - you don't stand a chance with long legs. Have you considered basketball?

MTA: Just checked your profile. The above is clearly a post in jest. If I were you I would concentrate on losing a bit of weight rather than worrying about how long my legs were. No offence - but height is not a significant determining factor in distance running.

MrH

Tall people are at a huge disadvantage:

6' 2" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_ygXH26Mw

6' 1" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbaj2-_VNMs

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

L Train

That Solinsky video gave me chills. 

Here's another guy who overcame his 6' 3" stature to have moderate success in distance running;

Runners run

Julia1971

I think it is generally thought of as a disadvantage with Paula Radcliffe being the oft cited exception to the rule.  I think it has something to do with leg turn-over, which may or may not be the same thing as stride.  I don't know. 

I think Bonkin might have been joking but as a relatively long-legged person myself, I do think navigating crowded races is probably easier for me because I can shorten or lengthen my stride without much effort.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Paula is 5'8''. That isn't overly tall for a female distance runner.

Julia1971

Paula is 5'8''. That isn't overly tall for a female distance runner.

It's tall for a woman.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to recall their being a lot of discussion about her not being an efficient runner because of her height.  And, something about her being discouraged as a teen from becoming a distance runner because of it, as well.  But again, I could be wrong.

I'm 5'8" and was very surprised to have my fleece hat removed by a branch a while back.  I guess that was the warning shot, I was running in the dark a week or so later and got whacked on top of my head.  That one hurt, so now I remember to duck or go around.

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'm 5' 9" and I regularly get my ass handed to me by taller runners.

Runners run

MrH

Turnover is important but stride length is important too. Smile

I think the Science of Running (or whatever the site is called), recently published some analysis on this, as if it was actually a surprise. 

One thing taller runners may be susceptible too given longer levers is their form deteriorating when they get tired. So a little time spent core work may be more important for taller runners.

Anyway, the OP is only 6' 3". In what circles is that considered tall? Clown

MTA: with the link to the science of running article.

MTA2: another article on stride length and frequency:

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.