calloused toes/feet (Read 796 times)

I know this is gross but my big toes, esp my right one, has HUGE callouses. They were always fairly calloused but lately its pretty bad. I am a new runner so bear with me. Is this an indication I should get new shoes? My fiance says I just need a really good pedicure (something I never do) but I am afraid of they take off the callouses my feet will hurt as new ones form. I already wear a wide shoe, maybe I need wide plus? Thanks in advance I know this is kinda a dumb question

Menace to Sobriety

As long as your shoes aren't causing you any pain or discomfort, I wouldn't think it was a shoe problem. My feet are solid callous, but I haven't had a blister in years. Its just the skin's way of protecting itself.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

You are now officially a runner! I embrace my new calouses - they prove your feet are working hard to keep you comfortable. I only tend to mine when I need to put dressy shoes on, thankfully it doesn't happen too often...

12-week layoff

Ditto what Craig said. However, being a girl, I usually don't want to subject the general public to my ugly runner's feet during sandal season. Since I live in Jimmy Buffet territory, sandal season pretty much never ends. So, yes the the pedicure. Or you could get a foot file, and gently exfoliate in the shower, making sure not to take off too much of the callous. You will continue to build the callous, and must continue to sand it away. Alas, the maintainence is endless. Sometimes, I wish I were a guy, and my feet didn't matter!

Best Present Ever

I kind of like my black toenails in sandals. Sometimes I paint over them, but often I don't. Badges of honor and all that. I do use the pumice a bit, but not too much -- I try to find the balance between grooming and setting myself up for blisters.

12-week layoff

Usually, I just paint my toenails black...then it always looks like I just finished a marathon! Cool