2014 Sub 19 5k Thread (Read 341 times)

C-R

I dunno C-R, are you running the Blame Spaniel 5K #3?

Three soccer games on Sat will keep me off the line. I may have to take a run at this on Sunday at the C-R 5k and beerfest before Mass.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jpdeaux

Sign me up. I'm a pretender in the sub-18 goal thread, but this should be a for-real goal this year.

I've been close to breaking 19 a couple of times, with an 18:55 in a treadmill 5K.

I'm in, as it's currently what I am need next; but I think it should be a lock. Still gotta go do it though

First shot is 4/27, next is 5/11

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Good luck dude! I'm gonna hit the track Saturday for some speed work.  800s

I'm in, as it's currently what I am need next; but I think it should be a lock. Still gotta go do it though

First shot is 4/27, next is 5/11

C-R

Cecil and Dtothe2nd are up this weekend.

Drop the hammer and get that 18:something.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Looks like May 17 and May 26th will be my next opportunity to drop the hammer in a 5k.

Walk-Jogger

I'm in on this. I ran 18:50 in January last year, but then lost some speed training for my one and perhaps only marathon last July. I just turned 59 and I'm feeling it a bit, but I think I can still get this done at least one more time.  My next fast 5k race probably will be the Twilight 5K on April 18th in Lewiston, Idaho. That's where I set my current PR (18:22) two years ago. It's a flat course and is 1800' lower in altitude than here in Pullman, and that seems to help a bit. Plus it's run at 7:00 PM and I always seem to run faster later in the day vs early mornings.

Nope. DNS. I pulled something behind my right knee by stupidly jumping up a flight of steps last week; it seemed all healed up so I did a 200m sprint on it Thursday and re-pulled it. I probably could have run on  it last night, but decided to play it safe since this was not a goal race and I have a 12K goal race coming up in two weeks. This is depressing, but I did a test run this morning already and it seems ok as long as I don't sprint on it, and I have a chance to run a flat 10k race next weekend.

Retired &  Loving It

Mmmmm...beer

Sorry to hear it Cecil, hope it behaves for your 10k and 12k.

Got mine this morning, barely, 18:57 and 2nd place overall (gotta love small races!). Big grin  This was with zero competition as well, I ran the entire race by myself, it's really hard to push yourself when you're running solo. lol  Hoping to back it up next weekend at my next 5k with some competition this time.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Tweeeked

Got mine this morning, barely, 18:57 and 2nd place overall (gotta love small races!). Big grin  This was with zero competition as well, I ran the entire race by myself, it's really hard to push yourself when you're running solo. lol  Hoping to back it up next weekend at my next 5k with some competition this time.

Congrats! On to the sub-18 thread for you!

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                    • 10k: sub-36
                    • Half: sub-76
                    • Full: 2:45 in Boston
                    C-R

Nice Dtothe2nd!  Keep dropping those numbers.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Tweeked & CR!  I'll wait till I back it up before declaring full victory and moving on to sub-18. lol  Some speed work will probably help towards that goal.  What's a good 5k workout?  I've heard 5x1000 intervals at goal pace is a good one.  I have access to a track, but have never done intervals (or any other speed work, besides racing).

-Dave

My running blog

Congratulations! I also heard 5 x 1000m w/3 min. jog intervals.  Good to do it on a track without hills and other distractions.

stshipley7

Got 18:54 back on 3/1  . . . . 5x1000 at goal pace is the magic for me, though I'm doing it with 200m / 75 seconds rest.

-STS

Congratulations! I also heard 5 x 1000m w/3 min. jog intervals.  Good to do it on a track without hills and other distractions.

Pretty good running with no 5k specific work, or maybe anything faster.

3 minutes is fairly long rest for that workout, somewhere between 90-120s is probably the "standard" so to speak. Just because 3:00min is long doesn't make it a bad workout though. Only thing I would say is that is 5x1000 w/3:00 recovery feels really, really though that is probably ambitious for goal pace.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks James & L!  Congrats STS!

I'll give the 5x1000 a shot and see how it goes.  With a 5k next Sat, is it worth doing that workout this week, or should I wait until after this weekend's 5k.  I'll have two weeks after that until the next 5k in May.

After May, my next 5k isn't until July, so I'm going to focus my training and weight loss to try and really kill that July race.  Then I'll go back to marathon training for my Nov race. Smile

-Dave

My running blog