Cannabis table at race expo (Read 163 times)

paul2432

I ran the Santa to the Sea HM this weekend.  At the expo on Saturday there was a cannabis exhibitor (no samples, just information).  This is California were it is legal.

Just wondering what people think.  I think it is inappropriate and I am considering an e-mail to the race officials.  I'll admit pot is not my thing.  Am I old-fashioned and out of touch?

CanadianMeg

Road to Nowhere 2020

It's not my thing either. I don't want to see that at an expo. It is legal in Canada as well.

At a race this year, I got a union pamphlet for a govt union going through contract negotiations with the government. That made me really uncomfortable.

"Don't feel like running today...suck it up and run ...you're an athlete." (John Stanton, founder & owner of The Running Room)

Half Fanatic #9292. 20 Half Marathons and Counting... :)

Marky_Mark_17

Unless it was for some sort of specific running supplement (there are some anti-inflammatories derived from CBD oil which have practically zero THC content), it seems like a weird thing to have at a running expo.

5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:58 (Nov-19) | 10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) 

HM: 1:10:46 (Nov-19) | FM: 2:57:36 (Oct-17)

Last race: Bays Night of 5's 5000m, 20 Dec, 15:39 (PB)

Up next: Southern Lakes Half Marathon, 4 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Half Crazy K 2.0

This wouldn't really bother me. The only large race expo I've been to is Baltimore. I don't really pay attention to most of the tables there, my goal is to get in & get out ass quickly as possible. If the vendors don't bother me, I have no issue. If they are like the perfume kiosks in the mall where they chse you down to give your their nasty smelly samples, I would be annoyed.

I did consider an e-mail to a race when they had a sex toy vendor at a race that was supposed to be family friendly. Their vendor tables were almost all multi-level marketing companies (sex toys included).

Brewing Runner

3:56 marathoner at heart

Would you have a problem with an alcohol company providing free samples at a race expo in California? Both are legal so you should treat hem the same. Yes you’re out of touch. Alcohol isn’t my thing. I quit drinking almost seven months ago and CIM has Sierra Nevada providing free beer at their expo and one forced me to go to their booth or consume their products. They weren’t explaining how beer was made.  FREE BEER. Children were at the expo and they even had a sign telling you alcohol must stay IN the expo.  If you’d tolerate alcohol being there you should tolerate marijuana because both are legal for those over 21 in the state. Since the booth was only providing information I wouldn’t expect any complaints unless it matches those for alcohol.

I smelled marijuana smoke at the starting line and on course of CIM. There were five armed Sheriffs from the SWAT team there with their big military assault vehicle. They didn’t even care about marijuana smoke.

1 mile: 5:38 (September 2018)

5K: 20:23 (March 2018)

10K: 42:11 (May 2018)

Half: 1:29* (2019 CIM first half)

Marathon 2:59* (2019 CIM)

Annual Miles 2,121 miles

*CIM is a NET downhill course and the weather is unpredictable.

2020 Goal: Short Distance PRs so people won't make fun of me. 

DavePNW

I’ve seen Nuun exhibited, and nothing is more offensive than that.

Dave

paul2432

Would you have a problem with an alcohol company providing free samples at a race expo in California? Both are legal so you should treat hem the same. Yes you’re out of touch. Alcohol isn’t my thing. I quit drinking almost seven months ago and CIM has Sierra Nevada providing free beer at their expo and one forced me to go to their booth or consume their products. They weren’t explaining how beer was made.  FREE BEER. Children were at the expo and they even had a sign telling you alcohol must stay IN the expo.  If you’d tolerate alcohol being there you should tolerate marijuana because both are legal for those over 21 in the state. Since the booth was only providing information I wouldn’t expect any complaints unless it matches those for alcohol.

I smelled marijuana smoke at the starting line and on course of CIM. There were five armed Sheriffs from the SWAT team there with their big military assault vehicle. They didn’t even care about marijuana smoke.

Cannabis (according to the anti-doping authorities) is a performance enhancing drug and is on the list of banned substances.  Alcohol isn't.

I think that is enough of a difference not to treat beer and pot the same.  Athletics has a bad enough doping reputation without dope dealers setting up tables at the expo.

Mark - This was pot for recreational use.

Brewing Runner

You should protest the race, by never participating again and speaking with your wallet and money, not drug testing anyone who beat you or else they obviously don’t care about age group and gender placement. They only care about the overall winner.

Alcohol has killed people. I guess I should get off my soap box because too many people ignore alcohol being a toxin produced and excreted by yeast and it’s socially acceptable. Some board of old people say it’s okay and a plant is obviously going to make you a better runner. Way to label a legitimate business as ‘dope dealers.’ You obviously don’t care if you’re old fashioned and out of touch. You’re anti marijuana and should be clear about it in you’re communication to the race director.

Cannabis (according to the anti-doping authorities) is a performance enhancing drug and is on the list of banned substances.  Alcohol isn't.

I think that is enough of a difference not to treat beer and pot the same.  Athletics has a bad enough doping reputation without dope dealers setting up tables at the expo.

Annual Miles 2,121 miles

berylrunner

Rick

You can write an email, but don't expect a response.   The organizers can sell a booth space to anyone.   If it is legal than it is no different than the real estate, lawyer,  sugary caffeinated drink, sport therapists booths at these expos.  You have to work your way through these to get your bib.  Simple thing is to just ignore the booth.

Brew has the right answer of not doing the race.

As for old fashioned, yes, the stuff is everywhere,  even in states where it is illegal. 

1-18-20  St. George Half Marathon (Utah)

2-15-20  Sun Marathon (Utah)

4-18-20  Zion 100 (Utah)

delicate flower

Just wondering what people think. 

I wouldn't care.  I've got enough other stuff to worry about besides a vendor at a race expo.

<3

Bblack

1) Its banned for in competition use, so a recreational stand doesn't really conflict with that. (Alcohol used to be banned for use in shooting sports until like 2018)

2) I highly doubt any weed made a difference in the overall results, its not like its EPO.

3) Yes, you are out of touch.

You should protest the race, by never participating again and speaking with your wallet and money, not drug testing anyone who beat you or else they obviously don’t care about age group and gender placement. They only care about the overall winner.

Alcohol has killed people. I guess I should get off my soap box because too many people ignore alcohol being a toxin produced and excreted by yeast and it’s socially acceptable. Some board of old people say it’s okay and a plant is obviously going to make you a better runner. Way to label a legitimate business as ‘dope dealers.’ You obviously don’t care if you’re old fashioned and out of touch. You’re anti marijuana and should be clear about it in you’re communication to the race director.

Totally agree.  I think marijuana is without question the safer of the two.  It's saved the lives of alcohol abusers who switch.  If you're going to complain about pot, alcohol should be an even greater concern.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:18 ran in August 2019

10K - 41:15 ran in September 1990

Brewing Runner

You can write an email, but don't expect a response.   The organizers can sell a booth space to anyone.   If it is legal than it is no different than the real estate, lawyer,  sugary caffeinated drink, sport therapists booths at these expos.  You have to work your way through these to get your bib.  Simple thing is to just ignore the booth.

Brew has the right answer of not doing the race.

As for old fashioned, yes, the stuff is everywhere,  even in states where it is illegal. 

SO MUCH THIS! Would you email them saying you don't agree with a divorce lawyer, daycare, tobacco company, or bullshit supplement like Herbalife (pyramid scheme) having booth space?

Alcohol is legal because they have better lobbyists. Fastest ratification of the Constitution was to legalize alcohol after it was banned. How expensive do you think it is to change the Constitution to legalize something? Tobacco kills people every day and "hands free" laws have never ONCE gone after the tobacco industry. England actually allowed smoking while driving but not drinking from a water bottle.

Annual Miles 2,121 miles

Tar Heel Mom

In vino, veritas

I’ve seen Nuun exhibited, and nothing is more offensive than that.

I don't think this comment got the attention it deserves.

Step out of line, ladies!

paul2432

To respond to a couple things:

1) I have no problem whatsoever with adults using marijuana in the privacy of their own homes.  I have friends and relatives that are pot users (and some others that are in recovery and have given it up)

2). This race bills itself as a family friendly event.  They have a diaper dah, Santa Claus, and other kids activities at the expo.  Having a marijuana vendor at the expo isn’t consistent with a family friendly event.

3) “banned in competition” means you cannot test positive during competition, not just that you cannot use it during the actual competition. Someone who uses marijuana the night before the race to relax and get a good nights sleep is a cheater.  It always amazes me the number of back and mid packers who love to complain about drug cheats but then think the rules don’t apply to them when it comes to marijuana use..  Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is checking. 

Ive decided I’ll email them and tell them I love their race (I do) but don’t think a marijuana vendor is consistent with a family friendly event.  They can do with that what they wish (probably nothing if I’m the only one, maybe something if there are many of us)

Thanks for the discussion, it helped clarify things