Achilles Injury (Read 470 times)

TexasRunner

Okay, looking for some collective wisdom on this. I already have a doctor's appointment scheduled for tomorrow, so no one has to recommend that. Wink A few weeks ago, I noticed that my achilles tendon on the left leg was feeling a little tight. It didn't bother me during the runs, and it seemed to go away after a couple of days. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. I was doing a tempo run on the treadmill when the machine "hesitated" for a moment. After that, I noticed that my achilles was sore. I have total mobility in the ankle. It does bother me when I walk up or down stairs. I also have trouble running on it, so I've backed off. I rested a few days, ran an easy 3, and then had to back off a couple of days. On Saturday, I ran 4 miles at under 7-minute pace with no problems at all. However, I didn't get down the block yesterday, and it's still sore today. Here are the other things that are strange, so I'm looking for those with similar experiences: 1. Heel lifts provide no relief from the pain. It actually hurts less to wear my Nike Frees than a shoe with a lift or wearing those heel lifts you buy at a pharmacy. 2. It's tender to the touch. I keep telling my wife I could probably run if wore sandals. Again, the Free (without a heel counter) feel better than normal shoes.
      Ugh no advice to share in relation to the pain you're having but I will tell you that I separated my Achille's tendon when I was 17. I am now 37 and it still bothers me from time to time. It is a VERY slow healing injury so I am glad to see you've got a doc appt scheduled. Not something to mess around with because it can put you out of commission for a long time. Good luck and take it easy for now!
      ---- Cynthia

My legs are killing me

I'm not a doctor but I play one on RA. You probably have tendonitus (sp). I tore both my achillies tendons in college and I know the pain. I would ice it and your going to have to rest it (no running at all) for a week or two. I know you don't want to hear this but it is a very slow injury to heal. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck at the doctor.
          What did the doctor say?
          That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run....Forrest Gump
          TexasRunner

The doctor put me on the disabled list for the next week to ten days. I'm not even allowed to bike. He feels that it's tendonitis and wants me to rest it as much as possible over the next week. I'll suck up and follow his instructions although it goes against the grain for me. I've got to remember that I'm not 21 anymore. Angry He also gave me some celebrex to help with the healing. He did warn me that the ankle would feel better with the medicine, but I shouldn't trust it to mean that it's healed right now. He did say that one week is the minimum.