Scared to start running again (Read 1971 times)

zizkov19

Hello everyone! A year and a half ago I ran my first 1/2 marathon and suffered a stress fracture in my foot during the race. I also had a minor surgery about six months ago and really have not been running since the marathon. My foot still hurts occasionally (when not exercising) and I am scared to start running again! But - I want to get back in shape and get back to running. Any suggestions? Confused
      Have you tried cross-training to see how that goes?

ScriptCal

milkbaby

How long were you a runner before you got injured? The longer your running history, probably the faster you will get back to your prior running fitness. On the other hand, after 18 months, you will be close to starting from square one. As long as you are healthy and can take on some exercise, you could build back up with a beginner's program like the Couch to 5k (C25k) which is designed for couch potatoes to start runnning. Couch to 5k program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml For an unstructured program, you can just walk 5 to 10 minutes to warm up then jog very slowly for a few minutes then walk back. Or intersperse some walking breaks during the running. Then every few days increase the time you're running by a little bit more staying at a comfortable pace all the way through -- one where you could carry on a conversation with a friend and not be out of breath. Eventually you'll be running longer and farther. As for your stress fracture, that was so long ago if you followed your doctor's advice then it should be fully healed. Try to avoid too much running on hard surfaces like concrete, make sure to get new shoes before your old ones are totally worn out (typically shoes only last 250 to 500 miles before their cushioning is dead), and don't run more than your body can handle.
        "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
          Hi, I've been in your situation before. I broke my third metatarsal during a 20k about four years ago. the pain you are feeling is probably the tissue around the old injury that was irritated as it healed. You shouldn't be worried about that. It's important to try to understand why this might have happened to you. Were you doing something different in your training at the time? Do you have enough calcium in your diet?
          http://www.marathoncoach.org
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

The first place to start would be with your doc. Get his/her opinion if it's ok to start or not. Once your cleared, start easy, like from the beginning. Don't try and ramp up to your pre HM level too soon. Good luck.

Bugs

Injury messes with the mind. I know before mine I was more willing to take chances. I get nervous anytime ANYTHING hurts now but if you're going to train your going to have some aches and pains. Think about it this way, "Your car might break down if you take it for a drive but your not going to just leave it parked in the garage are you?"

Bugs

Suggestion. Start a gentle walking program. Builld up gradually to walking for 1 1/2 hrs. Not power walking. Just walking. Try a minimum of 4-6 weeks. Then start some slogging--that is slow jogging mixed with walking. If the goal is to be a body in motion for the rest of your life, the preceeding will work for you. If you don't have the patience to set long range goals, ignore my coaching advice. All the best. Nick
                JakeKnight

The first place to start would be with your doc.
                  What he said. We're just a bunch of Internet yahoos. Assuming you get medical clearance, then I agree with all of the above. Start slow. Lots and lots of walking. How much were you running before? Am I right in guessing that you started running and then ran that half marathon pretty quickly?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------