Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - bummer on those injury niggles, hope they come right soon.

JMac - haha yeah I think the fact that it is a fairly tight scene around here on the North Shore means you get to know people pretty well.  There is a lot of camaraderie between the runners and they are all good guys to have a chat to after the race.  And because I end up racing against many of them pretty regularly you get a good feel for their pace and how they approach races.  The final race of the Albany Lakes 10km series is this Sunday, so I'll probably see many of them there as well!  I'm just cruising it for a bit of nostalgia though since I haven't done the first couple of races and I didn't really want to put in a race effort only a week after a HM.

Mick - haha athletics almost never makes it on the sports channels here unless it's the Olympics, Diamond League or the Commonwealth Games (which actually is on in early April) - or one of the major marathons.  It's kind of a shame but our sports channels are about 50% rugby, and the rest is basically rugby league, golf, cricket, and darts depending on the season.  Athletics NZ are pretty good with webcasting some of the national championship events, but this isn't one of their events (it's run by a company).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - Brazilian sports channels (and most of South America) is 99% football/soccer. It's religion level haha.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Ive learnt how to watch any sporting event by using the internet live.......is it legal......I think so . Great for marathons, athletics, and of course my beloved OKC NBA.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - I've watched a lot of NBA in my day online. Reddit is our friend in the US.

Me - Done early with the week. Only ran 3 days out of choice. I've run 8 straight weeks in a row of building up mileage and I think it makes sense to take a down week. Plus, I'm away this weekend with no ability to run, so the timing worked out. Both of my quality workouts went really well. The 200/400 at mile pace on Monday felt much better than the first crack at them last week, and I completed by cruise intervals at a pretty good clip. They were only 3x1 though, whereby I'm usually doing something like 3x2, but I don't think I've lost as much fitness as I feared with my 3 months out. My 10K in 2 weeks should be the first real test though.

Day Miles Description
          Mon 8 4x2, 4x4, 4x2
          Tue 6 Easy
          Wed -  
          Thu 9 3x1T (6:06 avg), 6x2
          Fri -  
          Sat -  
          Sun -  
          Total 23 Rolling 12 Week Average: 17.6 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac good progress and a sensible rest. That injury is well behind you now and its all looking good going forward. Ive heard the word Reddit but not known what it was about. We cancelled our Pay TV a few years ago and I simply googled free live sport to find numerous websites. You do have to learn how to get through all the ad popups etc and some streams are much better quality than others.The technology is so much better now and we have unlimited fast fibre internet which I WIFI to my smart TV or laptop with HDMI cable to the TV.

I challenged myself to the Lady Gaga run this morning and managed to scrape under 

https://www.strava.com/activities/1467729701

Actually my first workout in 10 weeks ! Finally started to try and fix my injury with stretching, foam rolling and ice. Just a few weeks too late.

Piwi just saw the splits. Great job! The girls have to wait to see you in those panties!

I have a close friend who uses an app called mobdro on his android phone. You have to download it from their website (free). Has all pay tv channels in hd. I couldn't live without it....ehm...I mean my buddy of course...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - a Redditor here, cheers bro! I keep watching your feed on Strava and thinking "This dude runs on Central Park, every......day.". But then I think if I did that I'd just think yawn, central park is okay-ish.".

Piwi - Not bad, a sub 19 off the couch.

MJ - LOL, the old tale of a friend.

The BBC broadcast team is the only team for athletics broadcasting in English. They are knowledgeable and they pay attention to the important parts of the race.

Any US athletics broadcasting team is unbearable.

The Brazilian ahtletics broadcasting team is okay, but they spend 5 minutes interviewing a Brazilian who was last in his series instead of showing the 5000 finals.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - I mean low 19, not sub 19. Still pretty good.

runethechamp

Hi all, very light week for me before my race on Sunday. One workout, 4x1000 cruise intervals as prescribed by Mr. Daniels, which were ok but not great. Did the workout right after a (short) flight in warm weather so I'm not too concerned. The race is next for me.

Live tracking is not too advanced, with times only recorded at 3 checkpoints before the finish line, at 6.5, 12.5, and 18.1 miles. I'm bib 843: https://results.rmraces.live/Corrigan-Sports-Enterprises/events/2018/Oakland-Running-Festival-2018/track

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                    Tue 3.0 9:49 0:29 Evening Run 120 (63%) strava
                    Wed 6.3 8:08 0:51 Jack Daniels style taper - 4x1000 cruise intervals 147 (77%) strava
                    Fri 3.0 10:06 0:30 Oakland Marathon Next! 119 (62%) strava
                      12.3 9:02 1:51      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Rune all the best. Is that this sunday or next ?

Mick what the heck I will put the panties on anyway 

Flavio 19 min would have been a good barrier for me as a Lady Gaga challenge......but you set the rules 

Piwi you rock!

Rune: good luck for your race. Show the east bay what you are made of!

Me: I have signed up for a fun race tomorrow with a few friends. We will try to run it all together so I take it as an easy run. There is going to be wine and beer chips and all sorts of unhealthy things before in between and after the race so it will be great. Really looking forward to it!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

runethechamp

Piwi - Thank! Yes, race is tomorrow.

Mick - Thanks, I'll do my best.

Weather looks very favorable with partly cloudy weather and 44-50 degrees with what looks to be very little wind. Oh, and I'm not taking on that Gaga challenge anytime soon 

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JamesD

JamesD

Rune - Good luck!

My knee felt better this week, & I increased mileage a bit.  Seems like the tights I've been wearing the last two weeks may be helping support the muscles around the knee, though it may just be coincidence.  Also did a couple of strides at the end of today's run, the first time since November that I've gone much below 8:00 mile/5:00 km pace.  Felt stiff & sluggish, but I had expected that.  The plan is to do strides once or twice a week for a while before starting tempos.

Sun - off

Mon - 8.1 miles easy, knee hurt a little the last mile

Tues - 6.5 easy & slow

Weds - swam 24 mins

Thurs - 8.1 miles easy

Fri - 6.6 easy

Sat - 6.8 easy including strides late.  Sluggish.

Total - 36.1 miles

YTD average - 29 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Weather looks very favorable with partly cloudy weather and 44-50 degrees with what looks to be very little wind. Oh, and I'm not taking on that Gaga challenge anytime soon 

Rune looking forward to the result !

Flavio  I must learn how to post pics

James if you are wearing tights you already have half Lady Gaga outfit on 

Mick that race sounds epic, I would start racing again for those treats.

Mark nice easy 10k race for you today congrats. Will be in Aucks for a couple nights end of march for my 50th, hopefully will get a run with you.

My week done and cracked the 30 mile barrier and snuck in a sub 20 5k my first fastish run for 10 weeks. Ordered some trainers from Wiggle. Adidas Boston $100 US delivered not too bad.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Mon 6.2 7:49 Afternoon Run strava
                                Wed 6.2 7:55 Afternoon Run strava
                                Fri 5.0 8:38 Afternoon Run strava
                                Sat 7.5 7:33 Morning Run with Lady Gaga challenge strava
                                Sun 9.9 8:02 With PB, DB, and KS strava
                                  34.8 7:58