why do you live where you live? (Read 809 times)

Looking gooooood ;p

Timely question....Right now I live near Oxford in England - a nice enough part of the world, but really it was just a chain of events with jobs which brought me here. My children really know no better, but both Sandra (my wife) and I are originally from Christchurch in Dorset on the South Coast of England - we grew up with beaches to the south and the New Forest to the North - runners paradise, believe me. I was there at the weekend and, boy, do I wish there was some kind of aviation industry down there....One day.... ...As it happens, I am looking at options of moving further afield...fortunately, the company I work for is pretty widespread and I'm applying for jobs in Seattle and Salt Lake City. I worked in Salt Lake for a few weeks earlier this year and loved it....Seattle looks good on paper, and a few weeks ago many people from here recommended to me...So, you never know, wish me luck
    The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
      Employment is what drives the region where I live. Almost 2 years ago, I thought I'd be moving to Houston, TX, but that did not happen and I am still residing in the DFW Metroplex. Other factors... -close to family, friends, and church Smile -close to major highways (2-4 miles) Cool -cost Yes -sidewalks -open track and field I can use to run at When I was in HS, I thought I'd end up in GA or northern CA. Places that sound appealing to me now.... -Northern West coast of America (including AK) -Wyoming At the local level, I want to move closer to my workplace to cut my total 50 mile daily commute down to 5 miles. (This priority of moving closer has slid down on my to-do list! Sad) Only running benefit I see is I'll be with in a quarter mile of a trail.

Vim

My list for home purchasing... NO Thoroughfare NO SPEED BUMPS Close to Work Close to Family Close to School with Track (I can use) Close to Good Facilities(Library, Track, Etc) Close to Educational Resources Close to Highway 2-4 miles with minimal number of stops Close to Park with jogging path or High School with open track Mostly Brick Large Rooms (> 12X12 Bedrooms) Would like Hard Ceramic Flooring 1800-2200 SqFt with Garage No HOA or messed up deed restrictions 15 year loan

Vim

Sandi Sue

I moved to Juneau,AK in '91 and fell in love with it immediately. If you've ever been to AK you would know why we live here. SE Alaska is smack dab in the middle of a temperate rain forest and you definitely have to learn how to function in a rainy climate however, that's also why it's so green and beautiful. One of the downsides is that Juneau is only accessible by air or water but that keeps out those that really don't want to be here. The people here are fabulous (i.e., Crabby) and there's a huge running community here so there's no shortage of people to run along with you when you need them. Winter is on it's way here which will mean shorter days and longer nights but the summer more than makes up for that by going the other direction (way longer days). That's all I have to say about that. Smile

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

The people here are fabulous (i.e., Crabby) and there's a huge running community here so there's no shortage of people to run along with you when you need them.
            I like the sound of that!

Michelle

NO SPEED BUMPS
              I wish that my road had speed bumps. There are idiots that drive by at twice the speed limit on their motorcycles, gunning the motor and popping wheelies. It wouldn't be so bad if they'd just go by and be done with it, but they basically do a loop and go past the house 5 or 6 times in a row a couple of times per day. Aside from the annoyance factor, there are also a lot of kids on my street that don't really have any idea of how to use the street safely and are constantly in the middle of the road or walking down the wrong side of the road. Sooner or later, somebody is going to get hurt.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)