Napa Valley Marathon (Read 649 times)

ymmv

Hello! I've been enjoying the community of people on runningahead, and the logging features are terrific! I've just signed up for the Napa Valley Marathon! It will be my second marathon. My first was the Marine Corps Marathon in 2007. There are lots of good reviews and discussions about Napa Valley, and I also wanted to ask here, if anyone has done it or is going this year. Tom
      Would love to run this someday. Have a bottle of Zinfandel for me...
        Hi Tom, i just posted a few days ago about the Napa HM, is this the same one you're referring to or is this a Full Marathon?

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

ymmv

I'm registered for the full marathon on 2 March 08. I don't think there is a half then, just a 5K. http://www.napavalleymarathon.org/
            The Half is scheduled for July 20th. Good Luck and make surer to take some time (after the race) to do some wine tasting Smile

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Yummm Zinfandel! Oh wait what was this about again?
              Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                I just signed up - I ran this one in 2003 as well - its a great race - well organinzed and a very fast course. I ran a PR in '03 and hope to do it again (at age 47!) Ray
                evanflein

I ran this race in March 2006. Absolutely stunning course. Running past the vineyards is a wonderful experience, especially if you haven't seen them before (which as an Alaskan, I really hadn't). I would love to do this race again. When I did it, the weather was the worst they'd had, oh, probably forever. It was awful. Pouring rain, 30 mph headwinds thru the vineyards, upper 30's at the start. Absolutely dreadful. I hear the 2007 runners had wonderful weather, which is the norm. One thing to watch for on this race is the cambered roads for water runoff, especially the first half. I wasn't used to this and it really played havoc with my ankles. But all in all, a very nice race, excellent volunteer support and organization, the best finisher's medal I've ever received, and a very nice long sleeved tech-tee. And the after race wine tasting is hard to beat!
                    I am signed up for this race too. My wife and I are staying the whole next week for vacation, and I am pretty excited about it. I have heard nothing but good things about it. I did Marine Corps in 07 also, and was a bit disappointed in my time, so i have been a little more dedicated in training for this one. Hopefully it all works out!

Running on the ocean

I ran this marathon last year and, contrary to evanflein, had great weather. I've done 15 marathons so far and I have to say that this marathon is one of the more beautiful ones I've done. Unfortunately, my left foot hurt really bad that day but I still enjoyed the course. Almost at the end there is this woman who gives out little ice-creams. It sure taste awesome! Have fun and good luck! How is the Marine Corps Marathon? It is a marathon I would love to do because I read so much good stuff about it. finishing in a slow 5:07:10 Confused If you like you can check out my pictures

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                      -- Jakob Herrmann
                      my running achievements

I'll be running it, and will be my first marathon.

Member, Tangerine Meat Gloss Running Team

Running on the ocean

I'll be running it, and will be my first marathon.
                          Good luck and have fun MigratingCoconut. It's very beautiful you'll see!

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                          -- Jakob Herrmann
                          my running achievements

Well, it appears that I will not be running in this marathon after all. About 2 weeks ago I started getting some pain in my left achilles, and the heel was swollen. It was the kind of thing that went away after the first mile at first, but last week on an easy 4 miler, it never went away, and I couldn't walk normally for the rest of the day. It has been painful ever since. I am going to the doctor tomorrow, but I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't be running. Hopefully i will be able to recover quickly and not lose too much fitness. The worst part is that I am in pretty good shape for this, and everything was fine until right before the taper! My wife and I will still be going for the week though, so at least we will enjoy the vacation. The Marine Corps marathon is great to do once; I enjoyed it, but I probably won't do it again. It was just too crowded, and there are lots at that time of year that I would like to do.