I can't wait for... (Read 853 times)

Feeling the growl again

...the college year to start again so the fast young bucks stop running road races!!! I ran my first 5K in quite some time...since at least last year...today. I have been feeling pretty good running lately (finally), and even have a couple weeks of good (but slower than the old days) workouts under my belt, including intervals. I was hoping to squeak under 16:30, which should have been fast enough to contend for the lower end prize money (ie 3rd). Well, I was right about 16:2x being in the money but way off on my shape. I felt ok but could only manage a 16:50. When I finished and found out that the little dot way in front of me that won did 15:34 it was a bit depressing as I was finishing 10Ks in 15:18 2 years ago. I figure I'm on the upswing though and if I stay consistent I'll do ok again...especially when those pesky 20-year-olds go back to college where they belong! ;D

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Cheers mate Smile It's great to see things finally coming around for you. I look forward to the future. All the best ---

Just Be

How old are you? ... if you don't mind answering that question. You're still running some truly awesome times! Smile Keep it up.
          Good one Spaniel, Considering that you are probably training about half as much as when you ran those PR's a 16:50 is nothing to sneeze at. You often talk about not having much talent but I think you were born with more than your share.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          BeliasX

Never Back Down

Are you some kind of super-human Shocked? 6 Miles in 40mins.. >_< i demand age now! :yes: i="" demand="" age="" now!=""></ i demand age now! :yes:>
            "No pain, no gain."

Just Be

Are you some kind of super-human Shocked? 6 Miles in 40mins.. >_< i="" demand="" age="" now!="" />
              His PR for the 10k is 30:57. So 6.2 miles in 30:57!

Prince of Fatness

Even though you are way out of my league as far as times go, you have ability to relate your experiences so that they help runners at all levels. Glad to see your running is on the upswing. Good luck going forward.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

If I were 40 or so, I could blame it on age and sleep well at night. But I'm only 30 and I ran my PRs around my 28th birthday so I can hardly blame it on age, I'm still on the young side. It's all relative, I know many people would kill to run 16:50. I fought for a lot of years to slowly get better (think....most guys who are serious from a young age peak at about 22-23 in college unless they go pro or something and I didn't get there until 28). I have thought for years that I would not handle it well when I began to think that they PRs may be gone forever, I am soooo competitive against the clock and what I think are my limitations (beating other people is just a side benefit, that's never been my motivation). It is the same as anyone who has reached a level and then fallen and feels they may never get back there even though the drive may now exist. I'm sure some of you have been there. It's not pleasant!! It is true that I am running about half the mileage that I did when I ran those PRs but I still find myself wishing I could find a way to make it happen...though I don't think the 100-110 mile weeks are going to make a comeback, I just have too many responsibilities now and my wife spent a number of years sacrificing so I could do that before and I need to give that time back to her now. We'll see how it goes through the winter. Maybe I can find some distances that still go well off 60-70mpw, which will be realistic over the winter when some seasonal responsibilities go away. If I am not running where it makes me happy in the spring, I may start doing duathlons so that I have something to improve at again and I think my running is still good enough to do comparatively better in that sport. It IS nice to actually be able to run and do workouts without feeling like crap though (now I feel good just slow). Guess it helps to have enough iron in the blood!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Dude, you're on another level: 16:50?