Use a half marathon during 5k training? (Read 36 times)

Jogger bobby

I run 27 miles per week, 5/7/5/10. The 7 is a CV or tempo workout.

I can do a half coming up for free. This is obviously longer than my usual long run. Next 5k would be about six weeks later.

Options:

1. Skip it, not in the plan, no gain.

2. Race it. Probably around 7:45-8 min pace based on 5k pace.

3. Long slow run 10 or so miles then push the last 5k as a mental exercise.

4. Something else.

Born: 1973

Marathon PR: 3:44 (2000)

5k PR: 22:11 (2020)

1 mile PR: 6:09 (2022)

Goals:

5k - 21:42

Mile - 6:30

400m - 1:10

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Do you have a slower friend who would appreciate a pacer?  Six weeks out on 27 mpw racing it would seriously cut into your training given that you could need 1-2 weeks for recovery when you should be starting to hone your pace and speed.

2022 Races:

03/19 Pistol Ultra 50K - 7:27:25

04/02 Alexander County 6-Hour - 25.146 miles

05/14 3 Days at the Fair 12-Hour - 35 miles

05/28 What the Duck 12-Hour Team - 31.68 miles

07/02 Merrill's Mile 6-Hour - 21.7844 miles
            09/03 Hainesport 12-Hour - 38.6607 miles
            10/08 One Day at the Fair 12-Hour

I'm sure other will give better, more knowledgeable advice, but I'll give my take anyway. First, I'd regard having 35 mile training weeks as good training for the half, so at 27 you are a bit short. That said, if you are doing a 10 miler plus the tempo 7, then I am sure you can finish 13.1 miles. I would be careful not to over do it and push yourself into an injury, you could try racing it, but listen to your body and back off if need be. I would think 6 weeks enough time to recover and get in more training for the 5K, but don't know how it would effect your pace on the upcoming race. If it was me, I's try to race the half, figuring it  would count as training for the 5K, but as I said I'm not too knowledgeable about these things. If a good race time is desired for the 5K then perhaps the conservative thing would be to run the half just for fun at an easy pace.

"My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.” 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I have become stingy lately to only run races which mean something to me like for a good charity or I am running to support a friend/family member unless that race is specific to my goals. I am currently targeting the marathon in Dec and I will race a 5k in Oct for the first time all year because my son has his XC race on the same course immediately before and I have to show him what his "old man" can still do. I have a friend who ran at least a 5k race every weekend for a year because that was a challenge with his sister but most of the individual races had no meaning.

If this half M has meaning to you, then run it and decide whether or not to put in full effort. If you do decide to do it and are not trying to set a PR, then I would run the first 10 miles at 75% effort and then race the last 3.1 miles 100%. That would give you the enjoyment of completing the race in a respectable time but also provide physical benefit toward your 5k goals with much less recovery time.

Memphis / 36 male

5k - 21:01 / 10k - 45:20 / Half - 1:40:17 / Full - I completed 26.2

Train SMARTER

I would do it. First 10 miles st 8-8:15 then finish stronger last 5K. It will be a nice experience for you give and a "hyper" workout likely to give you a fitness bump.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery www.smartapproachtraining.com

harpreet1singh22

Here you are wanted consistently whenever, Each individual is free to watch their number one motion pictures, animation, sequential and series. At Fmovies you can watch motion pictures online without enlisting or paying. At this stage you will get 10000 motion pictures and television Series to watch without paying a solitary penny. Albeit online networks can without much of a stretch Download total films from FMovies and can look according to their timetable.

Here you are wanted consistently whenever, Each individual is free to watch their number one motion pictures, animation, sequential and series. At Fmovies you can watch motion pictures online without enlisting or paying. At this stage you will get 10000 motion pictures and television Series to watch without paying a solitary penny. Albeit online networks can without much of a stretch Download total films from FMovies and can look according to their timetable.