Can't get away from cigarette smoke (Read 257 times)

BeeRunB

Why doesn't everyone give it up? They either enjoy it or it's too hard for them to do so--it's a strong addiction. I know people who have wrestled with them since they were teens. Even after bypasses and tumors, they continue to smoke. They've tried to give them up, but always go back.

FSBD

Thanks for the sympathy. I live in a smoke free state as well. Got a reply from the dog park people today that said outdoors............not covered by the ban. Amazingly I used to smoke many years ago. Do I deserve one of those annoying little smacks in the back of the head for complaining now ? Yeah probably, never the less cigarette smoke still sucks. I guess I'm less tolerant now because I'm already working with a handicap................................I used to smoke.........................in my eye's breathing the second hand smoke is just going to continue the damage, it's more of a fear.

I did some online research, 6 states now ban smoking in all condo buildings, anywhere, even in units. Can't wait for that day.

I quit smoking 23 months ago after being a pack to a pack to a pack and a half a day guy for about 16 years.  I really hate the smell and wish everyone could see the light like I did.  It is by far the best thing I have ever done.  However complaining about people smoking outside is ridiculous.

I still remember the fear and aggravation of being in a place where i couldn't smoke.  Smokers get kicked out in the rain and the cold, they get belittled and mocked, and most people may say that it serves them right, but that is the last thing that is helpful.  It just makes them hang on to the addiction even tighter.  No one enjoys smoking.  It's about being brain washed to think you need it.

It's one thing if people are purposefully blowing the smoke in your face, but if they are outside minding their own business then mind yours too.

I'm all for it being banned indoors, especially where food is served, but give them a break when its outside.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Feeling the growl again

However complaining about people smoking outside is ridiculous.

Well, it depends. I've been in situations where I had to hold my breath as long as I could...outside...to avoid inhaling clouds of smoke from large clusters of smokers hanging together outside a designated non-smoking area, whom I had to pass through to get inside the building. Just because you are outside doesn't mean the smoke is automatically a non-issue.

That said, I'm not against the business choice issue entirely.  I come from a small town, and when the state forced the business to go non-smoking two very nice places had to close their doors because they no longer had the business to stay open.  Both had setups that well separated the airflow between smoking and non-smoking areas.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

dennrunner

However complaining about people smoking outside is ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous at all.  It only takes one person smoking in a pretty large area to stink up the air something awful.  For example during an outdoor concert in the park or a 4th of July fireworks etc. the smoke can cover a big area with the slightest breeze. Or if the air is damp and still, the stench can be very overpowering for those who can't stand the smell of smoke. I'm not talking about the health effects. I'm just talking about the terrible smell.  Some people don't mind the smell. Some do.

some call me Tim

Who knows, you probably all live in a different world than I do, but seriously:

Boo hoo.

Yeah, I know it used to be different and I live in New York. But the biggest factor is probably that I used to smoke, an even though I have no desire to have a cigarette anymore, I really love the smell (granted, not a lot in a little room, but I'm not terribly picky otherwise). Those people are my personal incense fairies Wink

Live and let live. or die. whatever.

BeeRunB

Cigarette smoke never bothered me growing up. Family members smoked in the house. Every extended family gathering, lots of people smoked inside. Restaurants. On planes. Bars. We even had smoking areas for students at school. It was part of life. People smoked. I didn't, but the world did. I remember liking the smell of my mom striking a match and lighting her Kents. That first whiff of smoke combined with the smell of the match was pleasant to me.

The only time I run into smokers now are outside of buildings. I have to say that seeing them or smelling the smoke doesn't bother me. If someone lit up in a restaurant or on a plane, it might, but that never happens anymore. It's so infrequent that I run into a smoker, that when I do, it seems strange and weirdly nostalgic, like it does when you see Don and the whole lot smoking on Mad Men.  If I catch a few whiffs of smoke, I don't get bent out of shape. I figure my body can handle a little every now and then. It won't kill me. Something eventually will, but it won't be that occasional whiff of cigarette smoke.

Sometimes I wonder if people were happier and more relaxed when they didn't worry about death and illness so much, and just ate, smoked, and drank what they wanted, and didn't exercise. But maybe they weren't, and we're much happier being so health conscious and thinking we can control how long we're going to live. Anyone else ever wonder about this?

running metalhead

In any case, the "we'll go out of business" thing was always a load of crap. I'm guessing exactly zero bars have ever gone out of business because of no-smoking laws.

The same happened here in Holland... and guess what? They found out that people use to go to bar for the booze not for a smoke!
                And bar employees aren't to unhappy either because of not having to clean up all the crap left behind in the airco filters and equipment.

Now we only need to get rid of traffic exhaust gases.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

In our state it started out no smoking within 200 feet of the building but they amended it to 15 feet . When I walk into the grocery store I get a face full of smoke from all the employees on break, it's really annoying.

In my state it is only 8 feet from the door. What annoys me is that NO ONE goes to the back doors to smoke, it is always the front entrance. I walked through a cloud of smoke this morning, walking into work. What is interesting is that our company has a designated outdoor smoking area, but everyone chooses to smoke at the entrance anyway.

It's so infrequent that I run into a smoker, that when I do, it seems strange and weirdly nostalgic, like it does when you see Don and the whole lot smoking on Mad Men.

I have made a seperate observation, that this reminds me of. I was in the Navy, stationed in San Diego, when California enacted their first smoking ban. After all the stink and everything blew over, there was maybe 5-6 smokers left on my ship, once I moved back to Chicago. After arriving in Chicago, again I knew a couple of smokers but, the company I worked at did not allow smoking, and I can't say that I knew of ANY employee who smoked. Then I moved to Indiana and everything changed. Where I live now, I bet 60-70% of the population smokes. Even with the smoking ban, very few quit. It virtually created an us vs them atmosphere.

I don't smoke, and never have. It just seems odd to me that I can sit in a break room with a small handful of employees, while the majority of the company is standing right outside the door smoking. Like many others, I don't understand why so many choose to smoke, knowing the dangers.

Feeling the growl again

In any case, the "we'll go out of business" thing was always a load of crap. I'm guessing exactly zero bars have ever gone out of business because of no-smoking laws.

I know of at least two that did.  The bad economy at the time did not help, but that was the final straw.  I know the owners of one of them, their business dropped 30% immediately after the law went into effect.

I still don't like smoking, and personally if I still lived near that particular bar I would have been MORE likely to go there without the smoke.  But apparently not so for a large part of their regular customers.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Sometimes I wonder if people were happier and more relaxed when they didn't worry about death and illness so much, and just ate, smoked, and drank what they wanted, and didn't exercise. But maybe they weren't, and we're much happier being so health conscious and thinking we can control how long we're going to live. Anyone else ever wonder about this?

Some people probably harm themselves more from stressing constantly about it than they help themselves.  Control what you can control, keep things in moderation, and live happy.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It's not ridiculous at all.  It only takes one person smoking in a pretty large area to stink up the air something awful. 

I feel the exact same way about perfume.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I just noticed the add on the side of my screen. How funny is this???

Ostrich runner

I feel the exact same way about perfume.

Amazingly, we had to fire a babysitter yesterday because she refused to quit wearing large amounts of perfume to our place. We could smell her hours after she left, and everyone was allergic to her.

I remember that after the smoking ban in Scotland, many bars had to invest big in cleaning, not for the smoke, but because the places smelled like vomit and urine without the smoke.

My wife can't stand smoke, but I still think it's  a bit embarrassing when she starts covering her nose when we pass them outside. I really like the smell of cigar and pipe smoke.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Amazingly, we had to fire a babysitter yesterday because she refused to quit wearing large amounts of perfume to our place. We could smell her hours after she left, and everyone was allergic to her.

Heh.  I had to hold my breath for half a minute coming into work today because I was trapped in a corridor behind a woman who apparently bathes in it.