distance between points on a course (Read 723 times)

rkeddie

First of all, thanks so much for the tremendous log. My request is out of laziness more than necessity. I would love to be able to figure out the distance between two points within an established course. Sometimes during tempo or fartlek runs, I like to figure out both my pace over all and the pace during those sections, and it would be great to not have to do a new map to calculate those little pieces. thanks again!
    eric :)

I've added your request to my list of todos. It should be simple so long as you're asking for the distance between two points. It's much more work (presentation-wise) if you want the distances for a line segment formed by multiple points. eric Smile
      rkeddie

A segment formed between multiple points would be wonderful, but I'll take what I can get! I was thinking that maybe every point could be numbered (or lettered) and there could be a box to get the distance between those two points. While I am making fantasy wish lists that add to your already huge burden, if there could be a seperate time / pace boxes hooked to the segment it would rock. I am done asking for the world now... Thanks! BTW, my feeling won't be hurt if you don't put this on your priority list. I understand that it would be a luxury feature, not a necessity at all.

If this is a program on your personal computer, I would add all you wanted in a jiffy. The problem is that Google maps is already at the limit of what it can do. With all the lines and markers and funky math I got it doing, every new feature will make it a little bit slower. Creating a marathon distanced map is nearing the point of being unusable. I'm just guessing that if it displays a distance for every segment, it will be unusable even for a 10 mile route. There are ways around it, but then it becomes unnecessarily complicated for you to use. See the catch-22? Anyway, for now, you'll have to settle for distance between two points.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Creating a marathon distanced map is nearing the point of being unusable.
            I resemble that remark Smile I was thinking about this very problem. Eric, is there a way to limit the polyline you draw to just those segments that show up onscreen at the current zoom level? For example, if I am drawing a marathon course and am down to the street level at mile 14, I don't need to see the first 12 miles, and they are offscreen anyway. But that they exist still slows down the drawing of the next point and the next point and so on.
              Creating a marathon distanced map is nearing the point of being unusable.
              Aha! I wondered why my bicycling routes were a bit more ponderous to plot.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I resemble that remark Smile I was thinking about this very problem. Eric, is there a way to limit the polyline you draw to just those segments that show up onscreen at the current zoom level? For example, if I am drawing a marathon course and am down to the street level at mile 14, I don't need to see the first 12 miles, and they are offscreen anyway. But that they exist still slows down the drawing of the next point and the next point and so on.
                That remark was with you in mind Smile You also brought up an interesting point regarding limiting polylines. I'm nearing the completion of displaying routes on a map. It's taken a lot longer (it seems like everything is taking a lot longer lately) than anticipated because I'm struggling with performance. Usuability is an important part of a feature. I've come to the conclusion that javascript (which is what Google maps use) is just not efficient. I went through several implementations for the route display feature. One of them was limiting the number of map markers displayed. Although reducing the number of elements on the map will improve performance, it ends up with a wash because the bottleneck is shifted to determining which element should be displayed as you pan around on the map.

Aha! I wondered why my bicycling routes were a bit more ponderous to plot.
                  This is the reason why there is the editing and viewing mode for the map.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I went through several implementations for the route display feature. One of them was limiting the number of map markers displayed. Although reducing the number of elements on the map will improve performance, it ends up with a wash because the bottleneck is shifted to determining which element should be displayed as you pan around on the map.
                    Cool, thanks. It surprises me that it is a wash since the limiting happens at the server level and the display happens at the browser & javascript level. I agree, JS and AJAX are not very efficient.