Gabapentin/Neurontin (Read 140 times)

Hip Redux

Has anyone been on this for pain?  (it's also used for epilepsy, but I'm using it for pain relief)  My doctor recommended it for me back in January for back pain, I filled the script but never used it as I started to feel better.

I have been dealing with more back pain recently, and due to the desire to not get back on heavy pain killers, I finally tried it last night before I went to bed.   As I understand it, you're supposed to be pretty consistent using it for pain - work up to some baseline blood levels and continue taking it, and don't suddenly stop after being on it for a while.

Here's the thing - it knocked me OUT COLD.  I am glad I took it before bedtime.  I am waiting until the coffee kicks in before I head to work because I *still* feel groggy.   I woke up feeling far less pain than I did last night, but the rest could have also done that, hard to say.

Does this get any better?  Like, does the body get used to it and the sleepiness stuff goes away?  Because while I like a good night's sleep, I also like being able to wake up without feeling like a zombie!  I think I'd rather take the tramadol and those side effects over this...

TIA Smile

Hip Redux

No one, huh?  (I see the doctor tomorrow and will ask him....)

No one, huh?  (I see the doctor tomorrow and will ask him....)

I was in the middle of responding to your OP last week, but I hit cancel, because.... I've never taken this med.

But, I've taken another multi syllable back pain medication that knocks me out within 10 - 15 minutes before and then lasts forever.

The prescription was filled about 8 years ago, and I still have over half the bottle left.

I sharpie markered the bottle and the cap with special notes ("DROWSY") and highlighted the "May Cause Drowsiness" label because it's very scary to take after 9pm if I want to drive into work at 7am.

But, the medication makes my back feel better and I guess it relaxes the back muscles (along with every other muscle).

Best wishes.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

So as not to get to science geeky....basically the drug works by retarding the activity of the nerves, or slowing them down.  What you experienced is in line with what other people I have known on the drug experienced.  However individual experiences vary considerably.  I can't say how your particular experience will change over time, I'm sure your doctor has put many other people on the medication and can give you some good insight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

northernman

Fight The Future

Basically, any drug can cause any side effect in particular individuals, so it doesn't really matter whether others have had the reaction you describe, if in fact, you did. The question is whether it was truly from the drug (sounds quite likely) vs. a temporary bug or unrelated thing, whether it is a side effect that will go away in time, and how much it bothered you. If it eventually fixes your back pain, maybe a bit of sleepiness would be worth it? Who knows but you? Did you already try yoga and flat shoes and not sitting all day?

Gabapentin is a very good drug for chronic pain, especially nerve type pain. We use it a lot, and typically start at a modest dose, then increase over weeks to quite a high level, but not everyone responds to it. You might be more sensitive, or might have less than normal adult weight, (lots of physicians prescribe adult doses regardless of body weight, so may overdose little people a bit). Still, it's supposed to have a very safe therapeutic index.

By the way, here is a quote from drugs.com (Note: "somnolence" means sleepiness)

For Healthcare Professionals

Applies to gabapentin: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral solution, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release

Nervous system

Nervous system side effects have been common. Somnolence, dizziness, ataxia, headache, and fatigue have been reported to occur in more than 10% of treated patients.

Hip Redux

Basically, any drug can cause any side effect in particular individuals, so it doesn't really matter whether others have had the reaction you describe, if in fact, you did. The question is whether it was truly from the drug (sounds quite likely) vs. a temporary bug or unrelated thing, whether it is a side effect that will go away in time, and how much it bothered you. If it eventually fixes your back pain, maybe a bit of sleepiness would be worth it? Who knows but you? Did you already try yoga and flat shoes and not sitting all day?

Of course, you're right - I guess I was looking for someone who had a similar reaction but then "got used to it" - or not.  I had some time to kill before my next drs. appt and was looking for some experiences.  Or commiseration. lol

I wear flat shoes (in my Vibrams today) and have been using a standing desk since March.   Yoga always lands me on the DL, though - the last two times I tried taking a class resulted in my worse cases of back pain so far.

KerCan - was it a muscle relaxer?  I have robaxin and it also knocks me out, but I can wake up OK in the morning.   It doesn't always help with the pain though.

I've been on this medication close to a year now. I take it for nerve pain. Yes your body will get used to it. In fact at this time I'm ready to go up more since it's not working as well as it has been. BTW this isn't a pain killer per say

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

northernman

Fight The Future

Of course, you're right - I guess I was looking for someone who had a similar reaction but then "got used to it" - or not.  I had some time to kill before my next drs. appt and was looking for some experiences.  Or commiseration. lol

I wear flat shoes (in my Vibrams today) and have been using a standing desk since March.   Yoga always lands me on the DL, though - the last two times I tried taking a class resulted in my worse cases of back pain so far.

Ouch, well, sorry about that. I do commiserate, so sorry if I sounded uncommiserable. I've only had temporary back sprains, usually from lifting too much weight or twisting when lifting. Really hurts! So I can imagine chronic back pain is the pits. Best of luck on getting it sorted out

Hip Redux

Ouch, well, sorry about that. I do commiserate, so sorry if I sounded uncommiserable. I've only had temporary back sprains, usually from lifting too much weight or twisting when lifting. Really hurts! So I can imagine chronic back pain is the pits. Best of luck on getting it sorted out

No, no, I wasn't taking your post as being uncommiserable. :P  Just saying that I know/agree there's limits to what I can get from people on the interwebs.

Yeah, it sucks.  Meh.

Daydreamer1

I was on this when I had a pinched nerve in my lower back causing excruciating pain down my leg. It does a good job at relieving nerve pain.

When I first started taking it, it knocked me out cold. I felt hungover for 3-4 days. The only reason I stuck with it was that dealing with the pain was worse and I wanted off of the narcotics that I was on. Once my body got used to it I felt much better. I was started out at a low dose until the grogginess went away then the dose was increased. This is normal for this drug. If your pain is from pinched nerves you will likely find a good amount of relief and it this is the only side effect that you have from it I would keep taking it for a while to see if it gets better. After about two weeks I no longer got groggy with it but if I missed a dose or two the pain would return.

I hope this helps.

Hip Redux

Rockenmama/Daydreamer - do you remember the dosing you started on?  I was given capsules of 100mgs.

Daydreamer - I have a couple/four bad discs that cause radiating pain.

Rockenmama/Daydreamer - do you remember the dosing you started on?  I was given capsules of 100mgs.

yes I was taking 100mg 3 times a day to start. Considering you can take up to 4800 MG a day (I think that's how much) it was a VERY small dose however I am VERY sensitive to a lot of medications

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I took gabapentin for nerve pain as well.  It was several years ago that I was prescribed this medication, but I don't remember having any of the side-effects that you mentioned in your post.  I remember being asked at every doctor's visit if I was experiencing any side-effects, so it seems that many people do.  Once I built up to my recommended dose that my nerve pain was pretty much gone, so overall I had a really positive experience with the medication.

Hip Redux

Thanks, all!   Much appreciated.  I'll bring it up with the dr but I do feel a little more comfortable about taking this now.

Daydreamer1

I had two herniated disks that were pinching on the nerves. I think I was started out on 200 mg three times a day then after a week increased to 400 mg three times a day. I can't remember if I had to go higher then that or not but if so I never got as high as 1000 mg.

After my disks healed somewhat I would go off of it and when I would have a flare up go back on it at a low dose. It always kicked my butt for several days but was a very effective pain control. It was slower to work then narcotics but overall I felt much better taking the Neurontin.