2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Fishyone- Yeah it wasn't my smartest move (still going over 70 for the week), but it was pretty back ended on mileage, started feeling better as the antibiotics kicked in.

Cal-Everytime i stop running for a day it becomes years...so i just have to appease the great calendar god to stay on track.

Madisonrunner-those are the really impressive week.  I'm a bit in awe.

Side note:  finally had a real workout for the first time in a while since getting sick. 10x400 @1:23 (5:35/mile pace) with 400 jog between.  Averaged 1:23.15  with WU/CD a little under 9.5 miles on the day

Still bummed about Grandma's canceled.  A very competitive 5k of about 100 runners is in 2 months that I kinda hope gets held which will be my only hope until fall for a race.  Hopefully, we get to race at least once this year.  My coach who is much faster may be willing to pace a marathon for me in June/July so i can at least to a marathon time trial....we'll see how it goes.  As of now my plan is to run easy mileage with 1 workout per week at 5k or 10k pace and then a moderate to hard 14-17 mile weekend run.  That way to work on a little speed and long run to maintain fitness, but minimize wear.

Here's to hoping people can let 2012-2014 go and at least discuss current running.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

Here's to hoping people can let 2012-2014 go and at least discuss current running.

Hope to find some useful running-related stuff. If I remember correctly, there was much more running related discussions back then - or at least I can filter the stuff and present it in a concentrated form - the principles still stay the same.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Be about something other than nonsense. People are dying.... be about something other than finding petty fault where it wasn't.

People are being laid off or furloughed without pay and you're here being offended for whom???

Here is an idea, my team and I reached out to the local catholic charity and they gave us a list of 10 seniors who couldn't get out or were afraid to go out. We pooled together a collection, we contacted them for their shopping list. Then bought groceries they requested then we packaged it and distributed them. While they were fearful of contact with us, they were very appreciative of the effort we took not just showing up with random food but things they wanted. We dropped off the groceries had fun shopping and putting packages together. We wiped down everything. You might learn something,  I found out about a list of products I didn't know existed like Wondra and Maxwell house has a coffee that's half decaf half regular. Who knew???

So get out there and do something to help your community rather than promote nonsense.

Wow, you are unbelievable. Some people have done a lot of voluntary work (before this virus existed) without feeling the need to post about it on a running forum. And yes, I’ve been out there helping my community without needing a fucking dick like you preaching to me.

You don’t want nonsense? Then stop talking nonsense.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

This is a FORCE OF NATURE.

It doesn't matter your politics or your location.

If you are healthy (and lucky) LIKE ME, you will get an asymptomatic or light case and then have PRETTY GOOD immunity.

If you are unlucky and wind up on a vent, you are SCREWED.

Be nice to everybody and keep exercising!

Fishyone

If you are healthy (and lucky) LIKE ME, you will get an asymptomatic or light case and then have PRETTY GOOD immunity.

This is SPOT ON!!!  Be nice. Laugh if you can (especially at yourself) and give your kids a hug.

DPS- I'm with you about the calendar.  I really feel like when I take days off is provides me with too much of an excuse to take more days!!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

You don’t want nonsense? Then stop talking nonsense.

I'm Baffled how giving JMAC kudos on how he handled his moment of truth would be talking nonsense. Or offensive to any one.

I'm not going to get into nonsense  name calling or nastiness it's a waste of effort and time.

Stay safe and continue to do what you can to help. That's how we get through this.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Just going to leave this here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmhwLGt2Cx0

Online vs reality of this thread

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Speed Surplus

In your opinion, IS there a benefit to being significantly "healthier" than most, at least in terms of cardiovascular ability?

I keep seeing these cases of "perfectly healthy 32 year old dies" and wondering... does perfectly healthy just mean "no co-morbidities or underlying conditions," or, like, actually really fit but died anyway?

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

In your opinion, IS there a benefit to being significantly "healthier" than most, at least in terms of cardiovascular ability?

I keep seeing these cases of "perfectly healthy 32 year old dies" and wondering... does perfectly healthy just mean "no co-morbidities or underlying conditions," or, like, actually really fit but died anyway?

According to the CDC the "average" man that age is around 5'9" and 198lbs. That's towards the top of "overweight" and about a pizza and netflix binge (~5lbs) from "obese". Not exactly "no underlying conditions".

Aside from just the cardiovascular benefits that could help when dealing with a respiratory virus, simply not being overweight should also help with comorbidities.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

I found the account of David Lat, a runner who was hospitalized for Covid. He even went on a ventilator and survived.

Not sure how much he's running now (well, before covid), but he has run NYC marathon twice, but his best time is around 4:30 from 2009 or so.

So, maybe not quite in the same category of those of us running closer to 3 hours, but above-average fitness, let's say.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I view this risk of needing hospitalization the same as I view the risk of getting heart disease as a runner. Are you less likely because you run? Yes? Less likely when you're younger? Absolutely. But that's not causality, i.e. just because you run doesn't mean you won't get heart disease. It just minimizes your risk. Same with really any disease: the better shape you're in, the less likely you are to get most of them, but it doesn't mean you won't get it.

Nimmals - thank you for your kind words among all of that. I think the mental grind is a huge part of racing and I can definitely see people just backing out. We're all pretty serious in here, but when I ask other more casual runners, the idea of being that tired that early in a race is completely foreign, or more importantly, the idea of hitting a "rough" patch and getting through it.

Cal - here's my running advice for 2020: if you run 500 miles a month and can't get a moose mug, then quit running 

Marathoning in 2020: who knows when any of us will be in a race again with how badly this thing is spreading in the US. We all were predicting that maybe Boston would be okay just a month ago, and at this point that's laughable. At this point I'm not predicting any sort of large event will occur until a vaccine comes out next spring. I also wonder how this will change people's behaviors in general: how quickly will people go back to jamming into a concert arena, or cramming into a subway? I don't know.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a31913269/cyclist-diagnosed-with-coronavirus/

(note: the plural of "anecdote" is not "data")

From accounts that I've read (there was one from a pretty young marathon runner that I can't link at the moment), you REALLY don't want to get this, even if you are young and very fit.

CalBears

Cal - here's my running advice for 2020: if you run 500 miles a month and can't get a moose mug, then quit running 

I agree, but I would say it's 400 per month, 500 is way overboard for Moose Mug. 400 mpw and Moose Mug - that's the goal, but that means I will have to run for quite a while in the future  

CalBears

From accounts that I've read (there was one from a pretty young marathon runner that I can't link at the moment), you REALLY don't want to get this, even if you are young and very fit.

At some point, this year or next, everybody will get it because it's a virus and that's how viruses work I believe...