Tibial tendonitis experience? (Read 53 times)

Has anyone had posterior or anterior tendonitis?

How did you deal with it?

I thought my daily shoes were pressing too hard and rubbing at the top medial eyelet, but it seems I have tendinopathy. Wearing different shoes didn't resolve it even after several days.

In pic, the attachment location of the posterior tibial tendon seems to most closely match the location of the pain.

MLS Laser Therapy Offers Non-Surgical Alternative for Tibial Tendon  Dysfunction

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marky_Mark_17

I had some posterior tibial tendon niggles but they never got to the point of tendonitis.  Taping really helped for me.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I had some posterior tibial tendon niggles but they never got to the point of tendonitis.  Taping really helped for me.

The KT taping vids I've seen just show placing un-tensioned tape around the area of pain; doesn't seem like that would do anything, sort of like wearing a sock, which I already do. I'll hunt a bit more.

The most common "treatment" I see is olde fashioned ice massage. And there's a lot of debate about whether icing helps or hurts anything.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I dealt with this a couple of winters ago. It knocked me out for 2 weeks. I agree with Mark though: taping helped a lot. The few others things that seemed to work were a) heat in the area (this is probably less important) b) massage gun work (although it's very tough in the area due to little tissue / more bone, so you need to be careful in how you work it) and c) tension band work with the ankle, working all 4 directions. For the last, I tied a band to a table and did the work every other day while watching TV.

Frankly, most tendonitis issues respond to the same type of treatment. It's very rare that tendons need specific work very different than other tendons. Yes, the strengthening exercises you need for each injury are different, but same idea. I'd also say cross friction massage is espectially useful for this injury if you don't have a massage gun.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, I had it. I stopped running entirely for about 8 weeks, doing swimming and some weight work during that time.  When I resumed running, it seemed not a bit better. Sad  So, I just kept running. Mostly, I just lived with it, taking it easy if it was seeming to flare up. It subsided pretty gradually over a period of 2 or so years.

MTA: Sorry, my answer was pretty terse. I did no icing, nsaids, or particular exercises, but I did a sort of emulation of the Strassburg sock - when I went to bed each night, I flexed my toes upward either with my opposite heel or with the bed covers, and managed to keep them that way through a good part of  the night. That seemed to help.

I don't think one would confuse PTT with ATT - they're quite different.

So, what seemed to make it worse, fast workouts or long runs? I could easily just do 5k tempo runs, OR recovery pace 1-2hr runs, and nothing else; whichever would be better.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It seems like yours is in a better place than mine. Mine came on suddenly and it was clear I shouldn't run. After my 2 weeks off, I took about 2 weeks easy running and then mainly cleared it up. It bothered me slightly for a few months after that, but nothing I couldn't train through.

Good luck. Mine hasn't really bothered me since then.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SMART Approach

How long has pain been present? Tendinapoathy is a disease tendon while tendonitis is inflamed tendon. Icing does not treat the condition, it treats the pain. Don't ice. Address the cause. Overuse? Under recovery? Lack of strength/mobility? Weak hips/glutes? First step is to back off running and strengthen. If no progress, then no running combined with walking and strength/mobility. The body knows how to heal but you need to safely load area while healing as it gives you a better healing event with less scar tissue. When area heals, you want the whole kinetic chain from hips to feet stronger and more resilient to prevent recurrence. Work on glutes while standing, do a lot of standing one leg work, even just standing/balancing on one leg is so valuable for this condition as long as it does not irritate. Start in shoes and graduate to shoes. Always heat area before activity and runs. I am a big fan of far infrared and BFST wraps as they penetrate deep. I have used these for years on tendon conditions.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

How long has pain been present? Tendinapoathy is a disease tendon while tendonitis is inflamed tendon. Icing does not treat the condition, it treats the pain. Don't ice. Address the cause. Overuse? Under recovery? Lack of strength/mobility? Weak hips/glutes? First step is to back off running and strengthen. If no progress, then no running combined with walking and strength/mobility. The body knows how to heal but you need to safely load area while healing as it gives you a better healing event with less scar tissue. When area heals, you want the whole kinetic chain from hips to feet stronger and more resilient to prevent recurrence. Work on glutes while standing, do a lot of standing one leg work, even just standing/balancing on one leg is so valuable for this condition as long as it does not irritate. Start in shoes and graduate to shoes. Always heat area before activity and runs. I am a big fan of far infrared and BFST wraps as they penetrate deep. I have used these for years on tendon conditions.

I've had this for a couple weeks. It's likely in the tendonitis phase and not tendinopathy. I initially thought it was the shoes I was wearing daily (not running) pressing too much near the medial top eyelet. But, two days of no running and not wearing those shoes it was still there. It's not so bad it affects my gait, I don't notice it after 5 minutes of running, but I don't want it to develop into something that DOES affect running.

Hurts during plantar flexion even with no shoes, doesn't hurt at all with dorsiflexion. Thinking about that, maybe it's not the posterior tibial tendon.  There's no swelling, and closer inspection has the pain centered a little forward of the posterior connection. Possibly Anterior connection, or maybe even a stress fracture. It's very possible I smashed my foot with a board or something and forgot about it.

Closest fit Dr Internet comes up with given the info is extensor tendonitis.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Those are 4 very different diagnoses. You should go see a sports doctor.

Those are 4 very different diagnoses. You should go see a sports doctor.

I don't have public-servant level insurance, a visit for someone to tell me to rest, ice, compress, elevate would cost me $500+ out of pocket.

Checking here cuz others may have had similar condition and I want to hear their results.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

If you think you have a fracture (hairline or stress), that requires a doctor unfortunately. Tendonitis I agree you can just work through. How's the hop test? If you're passing that, pretty good sign it's tendonitis and just follow what we said earlier.

If you think you have a fracture (hairline or stress), that requires a doctor unfortunately. Tendonitis I agree you can just work through. How's the hop test? If you're passing that, pretty good sign it's tendonitis and just follow what we said earlier.

Hop test is fine. Thanks for that.

Soft tissue injury.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ugh, I had that in 2018.  It hurt for a year.  I went to PT, taped my ankle, wore a boot, etc.  It really made me gun-shy so I've just started running again.

My foot is better today. I avoided the daily shoes I've been wearing (Brooks Cascadia) and wore my running shoes loose for my run. Doesn't even hurt when I planter-flex. Was hurting a bit this morning and during first part of run, gone now. Maybe adrenalin from falling on asphalt and scraping knee and both palms and spraining my right hand diverted attention from it. Body's gotta complain about something.

I think I dodged a bullet regarding tendonitis, maybe that's what made me trip.