Eating for a 1pm race (Read 702 times)

flatland mountaineer

Due to a freak spring snow storm they postponed our little 5k race from 8:00am sat morn to 1pm sunday aft. I usually like to eat a small bowl of oatmeal and part of a cup of coffee bout 6 use the facilities and go to the race, not used to this 1pm stuff. Not a big deal to pr or anything just want to set myself up for a good experience.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

JakeKnight

Just one thing: you're better off eating too little than too much - especially for a short 5k. I'd eat a light mid-morning breakfast and leave it at that. Maybe a banana an hour before the race. No more. A couple years back I did a night 5-k on the beach in California at 6:00 p.m. or so. Second coolest race ever ... but I had a great big lunch, a giant sub sandwich with lots of onions. It ended up being my slowest 5-k by a good 3 minutes, and not a step of it was very comfortable. Onions. Not so good for race fuel.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

jfa

Good Luck in the race tomorrow Farm!! Smile

Onions. Not so good for race fuel.
          Or meetings.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

flatland mountaineer

... but I had a great big lunch, a giant sub sandwich with lots of onions. It ended up being my slowest 5-k by a good 3 minutes, and not a step of it was very comfortable. Onions. Not so good for race fuel.
            Well I do go by that Subway on the way to the race......... Wink just not wanting to have a "bad incident" during the race!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

SMART Approach

Eat a moderate breakfast of good food - nothing crazy like sausage, heavy pancakes etc. I personally would have a moderate bowl of nutritious cereal (Go Lean Crunch). A little less than I normally would have each morning. This would be perfect for me. Not sure what you like. Oatmeal, fruit, egg or two if you wish and piece of toast is just fine - just don't completely fill up, just satisfied. Eat between 8-9am. You are good to go. You need nothing further till race time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

flatland mountaineer

Thanks for the replies, no "incidents"!! Had a yougurt at 7am, small bowl oatmeal, toast at 9am

Just one thing: you're better off eating too little than too much - especially for a short 5k. I'd eat a light mid-morning breakfast and leave it at that. Maybe a banana an hour before the race. No more.
                  Sure, a banana!
                  I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

second coolest race ever
                    Really? Even better than CMM?
                    JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks for the replies, no "incidents"!! Had a yougurt at 7am, small bowl oatmeal, toast at 9am
                        Great! How was the run?