AM running considerations (Read 1049 times)

va

How easy it is for me to get up that early and the quality of my run depends on how many hours of sleep I get. I try to go to bed by 10 PM....

Lazy idiot

How easy it is for me to get up that early and the quality of my run depends on how many hours of sleep I get. I try to go to bed by 10 PM....
      I was afraid I'd see this correlation pop up (either here or in my own experimentation). I'm notorious for being up past 1:00 AM. This is going to be a difficult change. But worth it, I'm hoping.

Tick tock

mbk

I get up anywhere from 5:05am -5:30am depending on how far I need to run. I just brush teeth, dress and I'm out the door 5-6 mins after waking. As you can tell form the responses, most morning runners seems to getup at 5Tight lippedx am. I'm always done running by 7am (except on weekends)
        I'm the about the same. Up at 4:30-4:45, on the road in about 15 minutes. No breakfast before weekday workouts, only long weekend workouts. I've always done mornings; evenings are family time.

Prophet!

Some days i get up at 4:30, drink coffee, eat my bagel, read RA, release the hostages/take the Browns to the Superbowl,etc, then off to run at ~ 5 - 5:15 AM...I'll try to go to bed by 10 PM but that doesn't always happen when i'm doing some more work at night. It'll take me about 1 mile to warmup. Other days i get up the same time but do some work and then at 7:30 run at the track for an hour, it takes about the same time for me to warm up to a run either way. I agree, evenings are definitely family time.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

release the hostages/take the Browns to the Superbowl
            Dude, I do not need to be laughing that hard a week after surgery! If I have to go back to the hospital on account of your wicked sense of humor, I'm sending you the bill! Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not a super early morning runner or anything, but during the school year I get up, make coffee, get my kid dressed and fed, finish my own coffee and breakfast, get my kid to school at 8:30, come home and put on my running gear, then hit the road by 9:15 or so. During the Summer I have to wait until the hubby's home from work to get my run in. Weekends I generally run in the afternoon. I don't find much difference in my run quality, but I'm also not rolling out of bed and getting on the road right away. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

I agree with those that have stated that evenings are for family. Unfortunately, my wife usually doesn't get home from work until sometime between 8 and 10. The only plus side of that is related to my running. She doesn't miss me when I'm gone since she's not there either.

Tick tock

I love running in the morning. It's dark, cooler, no traffic, and no neighbors. Its too hot to run later in the day this time of year. I like to run with an empty stomach. Depending on how far I plan to run, I'll get up between 4 and 5:00 am. Tomorrow I plan on 5 miles. I'll be up at 4. (I work 7:30 til 3:30). I always put my clothes in the bathroom the night before. I can get dressed without looking for things in the morning. I'll just have a sip of water. I'll take a bottle of water with me. Sometimes I'll have a hershey kiss as an incentive to get out of bed. I walk about a block then stretch. I'll do the mile loop 5 times. I have a mile loop around the neighborhood. I play my Ipod really loud. Then I'll stretch and shower. After my shower I'll have about a half hour of peace and quiet before everyone else gets up. I'll have coffee and breakfast. My breakfast is a mini whole wheat bagel with crunchy peanut butter. I don't notice any stiffness in the morning. Pilates is tough first thing in the morning.
                    Alarm goes off at 4:30. I hit the washroom, brush my teeth, get dressed and jump in the car. I lay out my clothes in the spare room the night before, and put my shoes by the front door. I don't typically eat anything in the morning before my weekday runs. I drive about 5 min. away, since our house is in a new area where there is still construction happening. Not much fun to run around our place at the moment. I am usually running by 4:45. Yes, the first mile or two is a bit slow but I find you loosen up fairly quickly. I love the cool morning air, lack of traffic and other people. It's nice to enjoy this time before the rest of the world springs to life. Even other runners (and there are even few of them) seem to respect this quiet time, passing with just a wave or nod of the head. Like Ultrawalker, I find this leaves the evenings free for my wife and new baby girl.

Now that was a bath...

Alarm goes off at 5:30. Straight to bathroom where my running clothes are already laid out. Get dressed, clean teeth, tie hair up, drink whatever water is left in the glass by my bed, stretch, run. It usually takes about 8 minutes from alarm to street. I can't run in the evenings. I have four kids and a husband to care for and I need that time for them. I too love the cool dark mornings and the feeling that I am the only person in the world. I am always in bed by ten though, sometimes nine. Good luck with your morning running!
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                        God bless all you early risers! I love to run in the morning but the thought of getting out of bed before 6 is most unpleasant. I get out of bed between 6:30 and 7 and already have my clothes laid out and my ipod and keys right next to them. I brush my teeth, tie up my hair and head out. I can't eat anything before I run but I pre-hydrate with about a glass or 2 or water and then I drink life water while I run. If I'm running more than 5 miles I'll bring a gu or shot block if I need it. I usually don't run more than 5 or 6 miles during the week and save long runs for the weekend. That being said, I don't have to be to work until about 10 am (but the consequence is that I work late.) I do find I run better in the afternoon but there's something about a morning run that makes my whole day just seem right.
                        “I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down...” Abraham Lincoln
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I agree with those that have stated that evenings are for family. Unfortunately, my wife usually doesn't get home from work until sometime between 8 and 10. The only plus side of that is related to my running. She doesn't miss me when I'm gone since she's not there either.
                          I don't know if you have kids, but if you don't, your wife's schedule may be something you can work around and still get some reasonable evening runs in. Sunset in Hilliard, OH on the Summer Solstice is 9:05pm (latest sunset of the year -- worst case scenario). If your wife is working 'til 10p, you could go for a run at 9:00p on those nights or slightly earlier. You'd still have decent light until about 9:38p (end of Civil Twilight), and more importantly, even if it's hot, running without direct sunlight is much easier than with it. It might still be 90° and humid, but it's much more tolerable without the sun beating down on you. I suggest this as a fellow night person who used to train like a vampire (the nighttime part, not the bloodsucking). If the only time you and your wife have during the week is say from 10:00~11:30, it would kind of suck for you guys if you went to bed at 10 every night. Something to think about. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

All I can tell you is that morning runs can, over time, become a habit. I was a born night person. Not all that long ago, I used to sleep til noon on weekends. I used to always stay up until midnight. When I left the military, I swore I'd never again wake up before sunrise. But strangely, over the last few years - and especially the last couple, since I started running - it's just become a habit. Waking at 5 something is just normal now. And I haven't seen Jay Leno in a long, long time. I'm often in bed now before what was my bed time when I was like 8. It's weird. But if you just start doing it, it'll start to feel normal. Now, without a morning workout, the whole day is throw off. I didn't run this morning - and it's bugging me right this minute. By the way, just from a running perspective, there is one pretty huge benefit to training in the morning: that's when just about all the races are! On marathon day, it's pretty common to have to get up no later than 5:30 (or 4:30 ... or 3:30 ...). We were joking about it at this year's CMM, because as recently as last year, it was a HUGE ordeal for me to be up that early. This year, I was already up before the alarm. Just had to get up at the same time as usual. That's a big bonus. If you ain't used to it, doing it on race day can suck.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, JK, I guess then that you no longer have any problem with a marathon starting at 7AM. You know, one that is 2.7 miles from your bed. Roll eyes
                              JakeKnight

So, JK, I guess then that you no longer have any problem with a marathon starting at 7AM. You know, one that is 2.7 miles from your bed. Roll eyes
                                No - that one should still start at noon. It's frickin' November, man. I think we'll beat the heat. And its not like you bother stopping traffic or anything. Roll eyes But Trent illustrates my point: there's no good reason on Earth for his marathon to be that early. But marathoners are just like fisherman - they think it's all about sunrise. So getting used to getting up early is a good thing. Because of the fish.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------