2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

delicate flower

Happy Rescheduled Marathon Monday!  I'll jog later to celebrate.

<3

Julia1971

As I mentioned, I didn't run the virtual but decided to re-post/publish my 2012 Boston Marathon race report on my blog.

I have to say it was kinda fun revisiting that experience now - like how excited I was about running the 2012 New York City Marathon!!!  Hahaha, you fool!

It reminded me that these things make us stronger.  If you ran 26.2 miles this week by yourself and/or with very little outside validation, you are a force to be reckoned with.  (Wait, maybe a force not to be reckoned with?)  In any event, you are a badass and I congratulate you!*

*Unless Derek Murphy exposes that you did it on your bike.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

As I mentioned, I didn't run the virtual but decided to re-post/publish my 2012 Boston Marathon race report on my blog.

Damn, if only you had run the Boston 2011 race....then it would’ve been all glorious!

I remember you saying you had a London qualifying spot....will you be there next October?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Julia1971

Damn, if only you had run the Boston 2011 race....then it would’ve been all glorious!

I remember you saying you had a London qualifying spot....will you be there next October?

Yes, I'm in for London 2021.  The age group world championship people who did not ask for a refund back in April were allowed to defer their entry to next year's event, which will now be the inaugural year.  I've decided if I'm going to be in a championship, I need to show up!  So, I'm giving myself a year to try to get back in sub-3:40 shape, which was about what I was running when I qualified.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yes, I'm in for London 2021.  The age group world championship people who did not ask for a refund back in April were allowed to defer their entry to next year's event, which will now be the inaugural year.  I've decided if I'm going to be in a championship, I need to show up!  So, I'm giving myself a year to try to get back in sub-3:40 shape, which was about what I was running when I qualified.

That’s cool and I really hope that you get to experience the ORIGINAL course with the AMAZING crowd support next year!  I’ve run it 8 times and it just gets better and better. I also ran NYC in 2016 and that was my second favourite marathon. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Julia1971

That’s cool and I really hope that you get to experience the ORIGINAL course with the AMAZING crowd support next year!  I’ve run it 8 times and it just gets better and better. I also ran NYC in 2016 and that was my second favourite marathon. 

A friend of mine did all 6 majors in 2018 (he wanted me to join him because apparently, no American woman has done all 6 in a calendar year so I would have been the first.  I had my bathroom remodeled instead), and said London was his second favorite.  Smile  So, I'm really looking forward to it!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

delicate flower

Boston 2021 in spring is a no-go. Possibly fall.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/trackandfield/2021-boston-marathon-postponed-at-least-until-the-fall-1.5780470

Not surprised at the delay but pleasantly surprised they made an announcement this far out.  One less thing to worry about over the winter rather than let us register and train, only to have the race postponed as we hit our tapers.

<3

Running Problem

Problem Child

September 2020 was such a WONDERFUL time to have a marathon we should plan on it moving forward. Even IF a vaccine for COVID 19 is available in March.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

We now have a date for the 2021 Boston Marathon - October 11, 2021 (if it happens).  That's one day after Chicago.  It'll be interesting to see which one the elites choose, and how much that affects the fields for each race.  Hopefully we'll be back to some form of normal by then.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

times from 9/15/18 and later count, plus (likely) a smaller field....

I'm guessing at least a 10+ minute under BQ cutoff?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

delicate flower

That was my first gut reaction.  I'm sitting on -4:25 from 2019 Boston and assume that won't cut it.  Still, I'll toss my name into the hat when registration opens.  If I don't get in, I'll get in the following year when I get five more minutes and shit settles down.

<3

Running Problem

Problem Child

We now have a date for the 2021 Boston Marathon - October 11, 2021 (if it happens).  That's one day after Chicago.  It'll be interesting to see which one the elites choose, and how much that affects the fields for each race.  Hopefully we'll be back to some form of normal by then.

Same weather: Chicago.

I'm VERY curious to see how they handle qualifications. With them allowing everyone who qualified for 2019 to apply, and it being a nice odd 125th I expect a LOT more than the usual number of applicants. By that I mean I still don't feel confident a BQ - 5:50 is going to be good enough to get in due to COVID 19, President Joe Biden, Boston/Hopkinton/Framingham/all cities and counties along the course, Massachusetts, Charlie Baker, and vaccine mandates. Yes I 100% expect the Boston Athletic Association as a private business to require all participants to have proof of being vaccinated against COVID 19. Even though Hopkinton surged to 13 active cases at the end of October 2020. It was right before Boston COVID 19 cases increased rapidly. The marathon would get blamed, sued, and publicly demonized for hosting a party of 50,000 people or less.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

times from 9/15/18 and later count, plus (likely) a smaller field....

I'm not so sure. I have a sneaky suspicion that these major races may not allow international participants, or will make it so difficult that many will bow out. I hope those of you that are close do get in!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Lots of good questions here, and few answers.  It'll be interesting to see what the field size is, and how many people actually apply to get in.  Things like travel restrictions, the uncertainly of whether the race will actually be run, the costs of travel in these times of financial uncertainty {for some), and the conflict with other major races (aren't London and Tokyo also taking place this fall?) will definitely have an effect on the potential field.  I've got a 5:00 cushion on my qualifying time, but I'm not sure I'll even try to get in.  We'll have to see.