Swimming and Itching skin (Read 2226 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Coconut oil, perhaps?  I have no personal experience, but DW uses it for general skin itchiness, and it's not stinky.

Village people

I swim a lot but I have never had that issue. Maybe some sort of moisturizer after swimming? I usually shower before I hit the pool but not before the tri class that I do in the evenings.

npaden

I hope the OP isn't still itching.  2009 post.

Saltwater pools really help with this though! 

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yeah, the thread was resurrected by a spammer.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Oops.

Anyway, since we're on the topic, maybe this'll make you feel better.

Study finds average swimming pool can have up to 75 litres of urine

Village people

That is kind of sad. Maybe I will bump some old posts to get some more conversations going.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

What the hell, I'll resurrect this.

In case anyone sees this topic and has real concerns, my skin itches after chlorinated pools too. After much Googling, I use a soap with Vitamin C in it. Works great.

MikeWorks

The second poster mentioned bromine and I wretched in my mouth a little bit. I swam varsity at McMaster, who STILL treats their pool with this god-awful chemical. After two years of swimming there, sometimes twice a day, I could still not get used to the taste. I'd find myself dry gagging during warm-up.

Anyhoo.

The local YMCA gives me a brutal rash (but only on my face), and this usually happens because it's the end of the day, and chloramines (the crap that chlorine and body sweat and excrement combine to form) are higher. When I go earlier in the day, no problems.

Runzy

I also always shower after a swim in a pool. My skin gets irritated due to the chlorine that keeps the pool water clean. It would really feel itchy if it will not be rinsed off the body.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

I used to be a competitive swimmer, and we used Ultra Swim shampoo/conditioner and TriSwim body wash.  We also soaked our bathing suits in a gallon of tap water w/ fish tank chlorine remover mixed in.  Each night, we just coated ourselves in thick cream.  Nowadays, I use coconut oil.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                      5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10