2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Hard to have motivation when I got chased off a track this morning. Hahaha 1x 1k before the security guard could get someone to show up with a key.

I'm going to head up to the local track on Saturday.  Only ever seen security up there once and that was when they were hosting a big event.  I tried convincing the security guard that at 6:30am I was just there to run and wasn't going to steal the 30ft marquee but he wasn't really into it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Let's see... if we get Piwi out of retirement, keep JMac out of retirement, and get to host the hugely-anticipated Mikkey / Calbears duel... this is probably the biggest sporting event that will happen in New Zealand next year.  God knows the networks will be looking for something since the NRL is probably going to go bust and Super Rugby isn't looking a lot better.

I'm already entered for Christchurch Marathon in June as they've just rolled entries from this year's (cancelled).  It's a flat, out-and-back Mikkey-approved course too!

If Boston isn’t happening then I’m up for it. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I would love to meet you guys. I've met Mark and Mikkey and real life encounters are so much better than virtual.

Cal and Jmac have youngsters though so a big ask.

The next month will be good for my running as we are on lockdown and my other hobbies are out of bounds.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am sorry if I already asked, but - how many kids that are going to college do you have? 

I was just giving you another option if Boston isn’t possible and NZ is closer to you compared to UK. You’ve already run Boston a couple of times before so I thought you might’ve been up for some place different.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I was just giving you another option if Boston isn’t possible and NZ is closer to you compared to UK. You’ve already run Boston a couple of times before so I thought you might’ve been up for some place different.

Ha-ha - NZ is like another planet for me - according to maps.google.com - it's 23+ hours with 2 connections and $2000 round-trip ticket per person (x4 ???). London, from the other hand - 10 hours direct flight and $700 round trip. The only sad thing - if don't go to NZ, I will never hear haka Sad

And you right - running Boston do not excite me much - but you would meet unbelievable amount of people you knew only virtually. But you still won't hear haka Sad

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ha-ha - NZ is like another planet for me - according to maps.google.com - it's 23+ hours with 2 connections and $2000 round-trip ticket per person (x4 ???). London, from the other hand - 10 hours direct flight and $700 round trip. The only sad thing - if don't go to NZ, I will never hear haka Sad

And you right - running Boston do not excite me much - but you would meet unbelievable amount of people you knew only virtually. But you still won't hear haka Sad

Haka is overrated and the English rugby team know that. They lined up in a V- formation last year whilst the NZ team did their “intimidating” dance routine before kick off. And who ended up winning the match?  England. 👍

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/26/england-haka-response-eddie-jones-idea-rugby-world-cup

Hope everyone is doing ok and managing the isolation.

Cinnamon: 3800 feet is definitely an elevation you will feel. It doesn't look like you slowed too much though! Looks like you're running strong again.

Mikkey: I've only golfed a few times back in college, and that was while drinking the whole time, so it seemed quite enjoyable!

Cal: That last week was huge! I'm more impressed you can do that with a job and young kids. I would like to try this type of training but might need to wait till I retire, so I can take some naps during the day .  I would like to run a 100 mile week at least. So far the maximum was 86 for me.

Mark: Congrats on the 10 km PB and masters win! Sub 32 min 10,000m for you is a real possibility; what do you think?

JMac, Weather and Dave: Great job on the time trials!

Things are strange for me work-wise. Now we are on shifts; I chose the early shift so I need to run afternoons, which is a bit strange to me. On the plus side I can often run with my son now. His track season is on hold, maybe totally cancelled. But he still is given workouts and a schedule from his coach. I am modifying those a bit... towards slowing down the easy days.  We may target some track time trials for later spring if the season is totally cancelled (hopefully we are allowed on the track??).

2:52:16 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Haka is overrated and the English rugby team know that. They lined up in a V- formation last year whilst the NZ team did their “intimidating” dance routine before kick off. And who ended up winning the match?  England. 👍

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/26/england-haka-response-eddie-jones-idea-rugby-world-cup

England winning one in every 10 matches suggests perhaps there is something in it...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CalBears

Even my kindergarten son knows you can not compare England rugby and All Blacks - it’s an offense for NZ team.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Even my kindergarten son knows you can not compare England rugby and All Blacks - it’s an offense for NZ team.

It's like comparing Tampa Bay to New England.

Her you go Cal, I was at this match, one of the most intense experiences of my life (sport and non-sport) and the intensity started with this haka:

RWC 2011 Final Haka

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

England winning one in every 10 matches suggests perhaps there is something in it...

That was a quality unlurk, Steve.

JTReeves - well, we won't find out any time soon!  There's only a handful of 10,000m races in the country in any given year... it's not a popular distance.  I feel like 10km to half marathon is really my sweet spot for racing, but I'm still excited to see what I can do in a marathon... whenever that happens.  Good luck on the time change for runs... that would mess with me too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Of course England went on to lose badly in the final against South Africa 1 week later 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Of course England went on to lose badly in the final against South Africa 1 week later 

Hey, don’t forget your roots!!!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather - I failed to say nice job on your time trial! You continue to demonstrate you're a fast twitch guy. I think given everything that's going on in the world, plus Florida summer heat, you should pivot your training to 5K training and see what you can get. No more 20 mile long runs (16 would be the most), no more 4x2 threshold. When was the last time you did weeks of true R paced work? I would say focus heavily on R work, I work maybe once every other week, and then more 1 mile repeats at threshold.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Weather - sorry, totally missed your TT also!!  That's an excellent time for a 5k TT, well done.  Definitely a strong chance for sub-16 with better conditions and focused training, hell you'll probably get a further 10 seconds just from running it in an actual race!  JMac makes some good suggestions, I'd also suggest adding in some track work (if you have access to a track at the moment!!) - 400m or 800m repeats helped me a lot with speed last year.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"