tight hips (Read 97 times)

docmon67

Hi everyone!

I'm asking this in a runner's forum because you guys are always so knowledgeable. But this started before I started running again. As I've increased my activity, it hasn't gone away. I don't want to do something that will cause injury when I've barely started.

About four months ago, my hips, especially my right one, have been feeling very tight. It happens when I walk, if I lean on one leg more than the other, or when I get up from sitting. If I stretch it a bit, the feeling tends to fade. It's not really pain, just an unusual tightness in the upper part of my hips. I walk (now walk/run) about 2.5 miles 3 times a week, with other workouts another 2 days a week.

I thought this could be from sitting too much, especially since I've been sitting on the couch much more often, since I'm working remotely. So I stopped doing that. I got a standing desk. And I've been increasing my walking (from zero, which is where I was at over the winter) to now running at least half of my walks. But it seems to be getting worse. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

an amazing likeness

Sounds like you would benefit from a routine of hip flexor stretches.  Here's one link to some of the most common ones, but if you search you can find all sorts of recommendations for hip flexor strength and stretches.

Personally I find the lunges and seated butterfly help me the most.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

MT gives good advice. Pigeon pose is my favourite yoga pose for my hips.

Further question: when you work from home at your standing desk, are you wearing shoes? That can have an impact as well. Sometimes where you are sore can be a problem starting somewhere else. Kinetic chain and all that. Make sure you are wearing good supportive footwear while standing all day.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Sounds like you would benefit from a routine of hip flexor stretches. 

I agree.  I have had hip tightness from as far back as I can remember, specifically my left hip. I do not have hip pain while running. But it resulted in left knee pain, for the reasons Meg suggested. The stretches have helped.

Like MT and Meg, I have found that some stretches are more helpful that others. I would ease into it. 

I personally cannot work at a standing desk. I seem to do my best work sitting (slouchily at that). I do try to get up frequently and to stand while on the phone.

All the best to you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

docmon67

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I'm going to try the exercises in the link suggested.

I have a similar question and am wondering how often stretches are needed to be effective. Do you have to do them daily? Before or after exercise?

I have trouble with consistency.

Tyler S

You probably have to stretch at least 5 times per week for 60-90s per exercise. That frequency may sound daunting, but it takes a long time for muscles to lengthen. Once they do, much less maintenance is required (the time required to reach this point varies, and I'm not sure of any hard numbers without reading some studies).

Static stretching is usually easier and more effective after exercise. That said, you could gently stretch before going to bed or when you're done with work, school, etc.

With all that said, I really like this guy on youtube. He has videos that you can follow along with for just about every area of the body. Explanations are clear and the exercises are well chosen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2AAH6jbHk (plus it's only 13 minutes long!)

Ha, imagine my surprise to see you link to Tom Merrick. For awhile I was following his videos during the pandemic in an attempt to relieve chronic hip pain while unable to see doctors. I've watched a lot of them and followed a number of his stretching routines! Not the one you linked though. I'll check that one out. I also followed Yoga with Adriene for awhile, who gives good cues on how your posture should be during stretches. Stretches are pretty useless if your form is bad.

chunmin89

It's great to be here with everyone, I have a lot of knowledge from what you share, to say thank you, the information and knowledge here helps me a lot. paper io 2