Heart Rate Monitors (Read 67 times)

jebrown325

I am looking for a heart rate monitor that gives a notification (chime or vibrate) when I go above a set number of beats per minute.  I am new to running so my heart rate goes up pretty fast during runs.  I would like a monitor that I can set to alert me anytime my heart rate goes above 150 bpm.  Anyone know any monitors they would suggest that do this?  Thanks!

Wisteria

I think most watches have the capability to do this.  I recently started running again and got myself a Garmin Forerunner 45S that works just fine for me.

jebrown325

I think most watches have the capability to do this.  I recently started running again and got myself a Garmin Forerunner 45S that works just fine for me.

I was checking out Garmin's website and was thinking of buying the Forerunner 45 as well.  Debating on either that or a Fitbit Sense.  I checked with the companies and both have the HRT features I am looking for.  If you don't mind me asking, what made you choose Garmin over the other brands?

dhuffman63

Trails

I had a FitBit when I started but moved to the Garmin for it's functionality and longer battery life

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I have a Garmin 45 and I don't think the heart rate monitor is accurate. I think I get cadence lock where it's measuring my steps, not my heart. If you are really wanting to train using heart rate, you would be better to go with a watch that pairs with a chest strap for a more accurate reading.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

johhnylew

If you're new to running, it's normal for your heart rate to go up pretty fast during runs. A good way to monitor your heart rate is to invest in a heart rate monitor. There are a variety of different models on the market, but many of them have the ability to alert you anytime your heart rate goes above a certain number of beats per minute. For example, you could set the monitor to alert you if your heart rate goes above 150 bpm. This way, you can make sure you're staying within a safe range and avoid putting too much strain on your heart. There are a lot of different monitors to choose from, so do some research to find one that best meets your needs.

I've been using Polar for years and have no complaints. Garmin seems to be the most popular, though. DC Rainmaker on youtube is likely the best source for watch comparisons and reviews.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying