2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Darkwave:  I meant to ask earlier, your pool-running.  I scanned your blog, wow.   When you say 12 miles in the pool, are you jogging laps, or in place?  I never could figure out if it was better to be in one place, or cruise around.   I like how you computed time to a mile, etc.   I never could figure out if I should be jogging figure 8's or in place.  Ankle weights, no ankle weights.  I would have loved to have found your blog 2 years ago.  It was surprising how little I could find on the internet to help guide me.  It is great to now have your blog for a resource.  I think it was an excellent workout that would kick me in the butt mentally and physically.   Especially when I would take the float vest off.  I almost drowned a few times.

Duke:  Cute kitties!  Maine Coon cats--are they the breed that gets super big?   I think that was the breed of a friends cat that was the size of a small pony.

... pool-running .... are you jogging laps, or in place?  

While waiting for DkW (aka "the world's leading authority on pool running") to answer ... I (used to*) tethered myself, w/ a rope, to wall.

*I haven't pool run since I got my ElliptiGo.

fb-guy

DW -- yep on the pace variability and on learning to run properly slow. I can get sucked into using average pace for the week as a proxy for gauging overall fitness -- which I know is a mistake. Didn't someone once say that at the end of a 4-6 mile recovery run, you should feel like you could just go out and do it again. That's slow. Of course piling up miles and basically being really tired all the time helps you run slow.

I'll bite -- why is SMax busy? Give my best to DW/my homie.

Dad -- that's a really nice workout. I wish I had that dedication and track/XC background.

On HR -- my first Apple Watch was buggy and the HR was all over the place, but they replaced it and the second one seems to be really solid. I'm happy. That and I found iSmoothRun and give it 5 stars. Runkeeper crashed all the time, it wasn't accurate on splits and it was missing features, but iSmoothRun is working great.

Is JimE out there? Hey PJ, RLK and McB.

Me. I need to find somewhere to run. haha. I go to the main road and if I turn right it goes into the city center (smog, cars, traffic lights) and if I turn left it goes straight uphill. I just keep waiting for it to plateau, but it just keeps going up. Today was 12@8:32 with 1655ft of elevation. wtf. 51 for the week. I'm doing enough miles to have tight muscles, a boing in my glute, tender achilles and chaffing. So that's good.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

FB - my average pace is generally pretty slow.  I take a perverse pride in it.

Rozz - 5Ks are so hard to pace.  I think they're one of the hardest distances to execute correctly.  WRT your pool-running question, I do 10 minutes at easy effort = 1 mile.  I just go back and forth in whatever space is allotted to me.  Sometimes that's the diving well, sometimes I get a lane.  If I'm by myself and in there for a long time, I've been known to amuse myself by "drawing figures" or "writing out the alphabet."

Duke - I heavily endorse the cat photo.  Your Maine coon looks a bit like our fuzzball rescue mutts - I've idly wondered if they have any Maine Coon in them.

Dad - nice workout!  I have never tethered with a rope in the pool - my sense is that the lifeguards would object.

OMR - I'll update the sheet.  Sorry Sad

Hi to all others.  Weekly report was 39 miles running, 12 "miles" pool-running, and other stuff.
          M: off.
          T: yoga

W: upper body weights, core, and 6 miles easy (9:27)
          Th: 3 miles very easy to yoga (10:04), yoga, then another 6 miles (8:47)
          F: 12 "miles" pool-running
          Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:35), drills, strides, upper body weights and core plus some DIY yoga.
          Su: 14 miles progressive - first 5 miles averaged 8:56, next 5 at 7:55, last 4 at 6:51.  Followed with injury prevention work and recovery swimming.  First day of Botulism training.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also, for those of you not in the DC area, we did end up having a federal government shutdown (this is one of those things that is very big news here, and probably meaningless to everyone else across the country).

As discussed before, many of the local running and racing routes in DC are managed by NPS.  During the last government shutdown, those were formally "closed" to runners, though we just dodged or climbed the gates and ran anyway.

This time, the parks are staying open (yay!).  However...the restrooms are closed and locked (with the exception of one that they apparently forgot to lock).

I would like someone to explain to me how a restroom is not an essential function.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DkW & FB ~ Thanks.

FB ~ Ugh, can you bike or drive somewhere better?

DkW ~ Restrooms = non-essential; yep, sounds like our government.

My week:

M) 7.5

Tu) 7.5

W) 9 w/ 40 min steady (~7:15)

Th) 7.5

F) 7.5

Sa) 10.5 w/ 800m tempo (6:35), 4x800m (~5:45 pace/avg) w/ 2' rec, then 4x400m (~5:25 pace) w/ 400m jog

Su) 14.5 rolling hills @ 8:17

Total: 64

pepperjack

pie man

You haven't learned that bathrooms aren't essential from years of riding the metro?

I did the local BRRC 8 mile race this morning.  I told myself to do it at 7 minute pace, and got pretty close.  Not sure I could have gone much faster, so I don't knew what that means.

M - 8 trail, started at 5500 and went up, icy but beautiful

T - 9.5 - still did the workout off 3 days 7 hours of trails: 6x800 somewhere in the neighborhood of 3:10, extra warmup and cool down

W - 5 down in DC on windy Hains Point before dinner with my sister

T - 4.5 easy

F - 5 am easy

S - 10 thought better of the long run and just ran, few miles with a friend at super 9s

S - 8 mile race @7:03, 2 up 7 down for 17 total in lieu of a traditional long run

T - 59

i should go down the block and back this evening, shouldn't I?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

turtleboy

Good golly that was a lot of links to follow to get to you guys. Happy new year to everyone. I've been an absolute slacker in keeping up unless you're on the book of faces but since I have a marathon coming up soon I thought I'd be "that guy" and stop in. I'm doing the Rock and Roll in Dark Wave's neighborhood in March and I feel like I have about a 30% chance of getting the elusive BQ. I'm glad to see this thread is still active and full of the same banter as usual. I'll try to stop in a couple times a week to throw in my $.02. For those who don't know me: I'm 39, living in Syracuse with a wife and two kids, 3:18Tight lipped PR last year at Buffalo, used to be active on the RW forum but kind of lost my mojo when that all shut down. I'm very into hiking, real estate, and bad puns/dad jokes.

turtleboy

Good golly that was a lot of links to follow to get to you guys. Happy new year to everyone. I've been an absolute slacker in keeping up unless you're on the book of faces but since I have a marathon coming up soon I thought I'd be "that guy" and stop in. I'm doing the Rock and Roll in Dark Wave's neighborhood in March and I feel like I have about a 30% chance of getting the elusive BQ. I'm glad to see this thread is still active and full of the same banter as usual. I'll try to stop in a couple times a week to throw in my $.02. For those who don't know me: I'm 39, living in Syracuse with a wife and two kids, 3:18Tight lippedx PR last year at Buffalo, used to be active on the RW forum but kind of lost my mojo when that all shut down. I'm very into hiking, real estate, and bad puns/dad jokes.

AceHarris

FB: that's a tough choice between the eternal uphill or smog and traffic. Cheers on the tight muscles and chafing.

DW: almost all of our restrooms and water fountains ran by the parks department are turned off from about December to the end of March. It's a pain. I guess they do it to prevent freezing in case they're not used frequently enough. It just means I keep water in the car and pee in the parking lot sometimes, .

Dad: your weekend held some solid running, nice work.

Turtle: welcome back.

My week. Definitely felt some fatigue this week, but had a good week overall.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jan 15, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 21, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
                      Mon 7.0 8:00 Lunch Run 144 315 strava
                      Tue 7.0 8:21 2 easy, 10x200 Hills, 2 easy 149 707 strava
                      Thu 7.1 7:04 2 easy, 4 x mile w/ 60s rest, 2 easy (missing mile due to watch dying) (5:49, 5:43, 5:48, 5:47) 155 202 strava
                      Thu 1.0 8:14 Missing mile 0 0 strava
                      Fri 5.0 8:12 5 Easy in the 🌞 140 228 strava
                      Sat 18.0 8:02 Nice Day for a Long Run 146 984 strava
                      Sun 5.0 8:35 Taking it easy to finish out the week 135 227 strava
                        50.1 8:01     2663  

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Dad: Thank you for sharing your back injury experience,  I can't tell you how much it encourages me to read of others who have "been there" and have been successful in coming back.  I remember my first mile without pain, 8 months out.  You would have thought I broke the tape at the Olympics.

Pepper:  Wow 5500!  Are you out west?  I lived a summer at 5500 ft at Old Faithful pushing a housekeeping cart, much less running.  What is your experience on coming down to sea level for races?   Have you always lived "up"?  The whole altitude training fascinates me in science geek kind of way.

FB:  What goes up must come down at some point?  :-)  It must be difficult to have to chose between the 2 everyday.

For me today, 10 super easy at snail pace with DH.  It was quite enjoyable.  We are different paces so we don't get to chat much running.   Yoga then Massage after, which she said my backside was trashed.  Like FB I was like "oh I must be getting into some good miles".

Ahhh running.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Running slowly - I don't have pace or time info on my watch screens for most runs (going by effort and HR), but do have difficulty running slower than ~8:30/mi when by myself. I don't have this "problem" when running with someone.

DWave - Nice week, and hooray for the line bathroom being open.

PJ - Excellent week. I'd definitely go down the block and back.

Turbo - Long time no see! Welcome.

Lots of treadmill time for me this past week, but at least I got my miles. The runs are at an easier intensity than they look, I've had cadence lock with the optical HR on my watch, so I've switched to the old chest strap for treadmill runs for now.

I initially was going to do 10 miles (a nice, round number) as my long run Saturday, but on the way I realized that of I did ~11.25 I'd have an even 55 for the week. When I hit the turnaround for that I saw that I was just about .25 mi from an intersection. Intersections are neat and tidy places to turn around, right? Once there I was only .2 mi from hitting an even 12 for the day. Even numbers are good, right?

Confident that I was going to get an even 12 for the day, I decided to take a different road back. I figured that this road works run straight into one I had crossed early on the run, but NO, things couldn't be that simple. After a bit of curving around I made it back to the roads I was looking for, but with an additional mile. Things would have been so much simpler had I just been happy with 10 for the day.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Pesto

Hi everyone, I'm still around, but seem to have a lot less time to even lurk this year! I wonder why...

slow pace - I've noticed that my slow pace depends on how much mileage I'm running. I do feel relatively comfortable running at 9 min pace if I'm tired, so if running a lot of miles, I'm closer to that. Now, if running with someone else, I can go as slow as necessary.

vo2max - I have it on my garmin, but it seems very unreliable, so I don't pay attention to it. I think accurate HR data is needed to estimate it, but my FR235 does not seem to measure my HR very reliably.

ilana - nice to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your parents. Hope things are better.

omr - sorry to hear that  Hope you feel better soon.

Nice to see turbo around again, and a belated welcome to rozzie and matt!

Some great weeks from dad, PJ, CK and ace!

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about DD2: she was 9.7 lbs and 21.3 inches at birth! I'm still amazed at what DW did.

My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                            Mon 5.1 8:47 0:44 Recovery run strava
                            Tue 10.0 7:18 1:12 16k incl 8 km @ LT with headwind strava
                            Wed 6.2 9:08 0:56 Recovery run with O strava
                            Thu 5.1 9:00 0:45 Recovery run with D strava
                            Fri 11.2 7:33 1:24 Faster than planned MLR strava
                            Sun 1.4 8:20 0:11 LR: 29 km w 21 @ MP. Testing the racers. Part 1/3. strava
                            Sun 13.1 6:40 1:27 Eisbärlauf 1 race: HM @ MPish. Part 2/3 of LR strava
                            Sun 3.5 7:58 0:27 Part 3/3 of LR. Run back home strava
                              55.6 7:46 7:12

Very good week 7 of modified Pfitz 18-55. On Sunday I was supposed to do a 18 miles LR, and decided to do 13 miles at MP since there was a HM race were I normally run. Did 1.5 miles, then ran the HM, and followed with another 3.5 miles. I felt good and HM was a bit faster than I was aiming for, finishing in 1:27:30. I kept it under control most of the race, but the last 1-2 miles I sped up quite a bit. I also wanted to use this LR to test my racers, the adios 3, and they seemed to work well. I'll try them again in a 20 miler, with more time on my feet, and if they still feel good, I'll probably race Paris in them. I do feel quite light in them.

Alright, have a good week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

DukeDB

Bathrooms are the most essential of functions.  Alas, even with a fully functional government there's not enough of them and they're closed too often.  If we ever need a Civilian Conservation Corps again, I say put 'em to work building & staffing heated, lighted, flush restrooms every mile on every running trail...

Cat fans: the Maine Coon is indeed the giant breed.  Waffles is our second.  Lots to love: big size, big vocal range, big personality.  Every home should have one.

First week over 50 miles and first 7 days on for me since 2016.  Taking 2017 off from the marathon helped with many things, but I didn't forget how good and bad this felt.

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Jan 15, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 21, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Mon 5.0 8:30 Redland: recovery 5 strava
                              Tue 6.6 8:32 W&L - 2x2mi @ 7:00 strava
                              Wed 5.0 8:24 Street Without Joy 6: Opted In strava
                              Thu 8.0 8:32 Needwood: Sunset, frozen lake strava
                              Fri 5.1 8:54 Safety 2: Plenty o' Ice strava
                              Sat 18.1 10:32 Winter Trails #8: Cabin John strava
                              Sun 6.1 9:09 Railroad: recovery miles strava
                                53.9 9:18    
                              RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Got 55 for the week, all easy except for one brief interval session (4x800m at 10K pace).  This week I'm beginning a McMillan half marathon plan with the hope of finally getting under 1:30 in April.