Retire Shoes? (Read 1534 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The more variance there is within the sole of the shoe - by which I mean dual-density areas, footbridges, stability webs etc - the more the shoe will have the potential to cause aches and pains when it gets old. When it is brand new, everything is uniform in the sole, and as your foot lands it is supprted evenly, as it should be. As the sole ages, parts of it compress and parts of it - where there are tougher compnents such as the harder part of a dual-density midsole - don't compress so much. So where before you were landing on an even surface, after x hundred miles that surface is less even and your foot is subtly distorted each footstrike.
    I really think there is some truth to this. My most minimal shoe--the NB 902--has given me more miles than my beefier, more stable 1222s ever did. I actually am well over 300 miles with my first pair (was lucky to get 250 miles out of more stable NB shoes before they felt "off") and am now breaking in a second. I'm thinking I may retire the first pair or simply save them for the sloppiest of Spring thaw/rain runs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HOSS1961

I track my shoes to the mile. I am a Brooks Adrenaline runner. I give a visual inspection often, listen to what the tootsies are telling me after different types of running, and at 300 miles start into a rotation of a new pair where I will wear my old pair for 1 or 2 "short" runs per week - after breaking in my new pair. I have some shoes that are gone after 350 miles and 1 pair that went 450+. I like the innersole idea and may give it a try. Thanks
      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
        I track my shoes to the mile. I am a Brooks Adrenaline runner. I give a visual inspection often, listen to what the tootsies are telling me after different types of running, and at 300 miles start into a rotation of a new pair where I will wear my old pair for 1 or 2 "short" runs per week - after breaking in my new pair. I have some shoes that are gone after 350 miles and 1 pair that went 450+.
        I have been following a similiar strategy. I used to retire my shoes at about 350 miles which is when I tend to start feeling a little aching in my knees. By bringing on a new pair for the long/hard runs, I have been able squeeze some more life out of my shoes without taking a toll on my body.

Ryan

I track my shoe miles very closely........but despite that, I find that my Asics Nimbus (and my Asics Cumulus before those) are very consistent and cause me problems at about 300 miles. I am a heavy runner, so I assume that short life is because of the weight. I feel it in my shins when they are ready for retirement. I see folks talk about Mizunos........what I have heard is they are VERY comfortable shoes but you will get less miles out of them than other brands. Sorry to make generalizations, but I have heard this from several runners and from sales people at specialty running stores.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I see folks talk about Mizunos........what I have heard is they are VERY comfortable shoes but you will get less miles out of them than other brands. Sorry to make generalizations, but I have heard this from several runners and from sales people at specialty running stores.
            Really? I haven't had to retire any Mizunos before 500 miles. I run on a lot of asphalt and concrete too. Ugh. That goes for both the Wave Riders and Precision models which I rotate...Guess that everyone is different in how they wear out their shoes. One thing I did find is that if you get them extremely wet, their useful life is diminished.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I see folks talk about Mizunos........what I have heard is they are VERY comfortable shoes but you will get less miles out of them than other brands. Sorry to make generalizations, but I have heard this from several runners and from sales people at specialty running stores.
              I've heard this, too, and have avoided them in large part for this reason...I don't know that they have any wide models, either, which is kinda a deal breaker for me, as well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

i just retired my Asics 1120's at 400miles as the first knee niggle arrived. happens within 50 miles either side every time.
                  I just realized yesterday I think I need new shoes. I hve Mizunos (myfirst pair of running shoes ever) THey only have like 220miles on them, but my run yesterday left me with VERY sore knees both while running and afterwards. Ive never had his happen so I think its time. But maybe i will rotate the miz's back in every now and then - it really kills me to have to get a new pair already!
                    My last pair of Adidas was so good that used them until a hole appeared under the toes on my left shoe. I used them 2 years and 1200+ miles. I have to admit that new pair was better then the old one, but I never got any aches with the old pair. I have used only Adidas for 15 years and will not use any other brand. Never got any aches with Adidas, so why even try other brands.
                    brandicted

spam
                      duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I've lost weight in recent months (about 30 pounds) so I'm getting more out of my shoes. I used to ditch them at or near 300, now I'm getting about 350 instead. Still, I'm heavier than many runners (6'0", 208 lbs) and I'm sure that contributes to the breakdown on the show.

I agree with the comment about the sole liner, however. I haven't done that recently, but a few years ago I routinely replaced the liner as soon as I purchased the shoe. Time to do that again.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

King of PhotoShop

I went through some foot-related injury problems some years ago and my physical therapist suggested I remove the liner that comes with the new shoes and insert a store-bought liner with a bit more cushion. She suggested the "Sof Sol" liner, which I think I recall was about $20 at the running store.

Since then I've done that in every new pair I've bought, with the exception of the brand new New Balance Fresh Foams I was given by NB to wear test and then write a review on.  (I write on on-line running column for the Dallas Morning News.)

I am curious to learn from others who commented on the replacement of the sole liner, what they replaced it with. What sole liners are you using, $ cost, etc.  Thank you.  Spareribs

bpangie

I wear Skoras. I've gotten near 1000 miles on each of my last two pairs. I think a lot of shoe wear comes down to how you run - and where you run. If you're running just on a treadmill, no matter how good your form, or how light your foot fall, you will go through shoes faster. I believe the same is true if you're out running on hot roads as opposed to icy roads.

B-Plus

I don't think so.  but this is the time to retire your shoes.....

I would certainly hope so.

gpb

Do you think this was caused by the cold weather? 

Why on earth did you resurrect a SIX YEAR OLD thread?