Help a newb get faster (Read 1012 times)

racereadyfab

This is my third attempt at running in the past year.  The first two times lasted about two weeks.  I just started my sixth week this time.  I've gotten to a point where I actually enjoy running and look forward to 4 a.m. I ran my first 5k this past Saturday and finished with a 25:59.  By far my best run ever.  I was expecting about a 27:30 or so. As I finished I felt like I left some out on the course and could have done even better, maybe not. 

As I continue to run and train what are the best methods for picking up speed?  Tempo, intervals, fartleks?  How many days should I realisticly run?   I'm shooting for 5 days a week and maybe 17-20 miles. 

Thanks in advance for any help....Brian. 

5K  25:59

Brian. Congrats on your accomplishments so far. I would just recommend run more. No need to make it complicated. You will make more gains just from more miles. Once you get a nice base over several months to years and you stop making gains, then you could add tempos etc. Best wishes

the more miles you can run and still have enough time to recover the better your times will be.  tempos/intervals/fartleks etc... tend to be building upon the endurance base achieved.  which you don't have. 

not knowing age/fitness from other sports/injury history that's as far as I can go with any advice.  

Congrats on the 5k PR. And good on you for the consistent 6 weeks. What's the best method for picking up speed? Just more easy miles. Don't worry about speed workouts yet. Consistency and miles will make you faster over time. There' no substitute for that. Just keep it simple. If you feel good, maybe once a week add some strides at the end of an easy run. Start with 3 or 4 and slowly increase that number until you can do 8-10 at the end of an easy run. Other than some strides, the real focus should be on slowly adding more weekly, monthly, yearly miles. do that and  you'll get faster. 

Search the boards here and read the stickies. Lots of good advice. 

And log your runs here and make your log public. You'll get better responses to future questions if people can see your training history. Good luck. 

Doc, my tooth hurts

This is my third attempt at running in the past year.  The first two times lasted about two weeks.  I just started my sixth week this time.  I've gotten to a point where I actually enjoy running and look forward to 4 a.m. I ran my first 5k this past Saturday and finished with a 25:59.  By far my best run ever.  I was expecting about a 27:30 or so. As I finished I felt like I left some out on the course and could have done even better, maybe not. 

As I continue to run and train what are the best methods for picking up speed?  Tempo, intervals, fartleks?  How many days should I realisticly run?   I'm shooting for 5 days a week and maybe 17-20 miles. 

Thanks in advance for any help....Brian. 

What do your weeks look like currently running wise?

Good rule of thumb though is that running more will improve your speed without needing tempos and intervals. This is especially true for a new runner.

racereadyfab

Good rule of thumb though is that running more will improve your speed without needing tempos and intervals. This is especially true for a new runner.

Currently averaging less than 10 a week but I've been trying not to over do it and I feel like I can do more.   

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+1 and extendedsolo is being polite

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Scout7

What happened with your first two attempts at running?

racereadyfab

What happened with your first two attempts at running?

Wasn't really interested and mostly laziness.  I'd run a few days and use any excuse not to get  back out there.  I had done P90X and lost 19lbs and was trying to use running to help maintain my weight loss.  I eventually gained all my weight back plus a few and I've made a commitment now to do whatever it takes and stick with it.  I'm down 12lbs so far.  Losing weight was my original goal for running but its turned into so much more than that.  I really enjoy it now.  Granted, its only been 6 weeks now...lol. 

Doc, my tooth hurts

I wouldn't focus on miles per se, but focus on time spent running. Get to where you can run 3 days a week for 45 minutes. Then get to where one of those days is an hour, then two days an hour. Then you can probably add a day. I feel like if you are going to run make it worth your while to change your clothes and shower. 

Brian,

Like others have said, getting a solid base weekly mileage will definitely help with your speed.

I think that more important than the answer to your question, while still connect to it, is finding out why you run. 

That's not a question, but rather a statement.

If this running phase only lasts 12 weeks, than any gains you make in the next 6 weeks will be quickly lost in the following few weeks.

For me, I decided to change my lifestyle in 1999, and began running.  I didn't care too much about speed, and never logged a mile.  I guess I ran about an 8 minute mile, but I don't know.  I chose to do it, without focusing too much on speed.  (For +/-8 years, that's how I ran).

Now, my game has changed.  I've now incorporated challenges that force me to do more difficult workouts (tempo, fartlek, intervals, etc.).  But, if I incorporated those in my first 6 - 10 weeks of training, I'm quite positive I wouldn't be on RunningAhead.com 12 years later replying within this thread.  There is a time and a place for different training as you develop as a runner.  You'll "naturally" become faster simply by being more efficient doing "slow" and easy training.

MTA: In a few months (maybe only a couple more months...), once you know you're hooked on this game, then there'll be answers to your questions such as hills, intervals, tempo, ....  Until then, just run, and enjoy every step of every mile.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
                        Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

DoppleBock

Think long term

In the 1st couple of years - Just consistently running ... week after week will give huge results

The mistake the majority of us make when we start is running our runs way too fast.  All your runs in a week should be really easy paced for many months.  Maybe once per week run the last mile or 2 faster.  Every so often run a 5k race - This is your time to run hard.  Maybe pick one day you try and run a bit further.

Over the couple of years, try and slowly increase your mileage - But 1st get used to just running consistently each week.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !