RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Just saw Defiance. Kind of a downer movie and really earns the R rating, but I thought it was a good story (True story that I never heard of) so it was nice. Really intense too. Also, I don't know how to put this in professional words, but it looked pretty. Like the forest and snow and everything looked really nice. After watching it, seeing Daniel Craig as 007 doesn't really do him justice anymore.
    2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.

Menace to Sobriety

Poseidon Adventure is on Retroplex right now. The original one. In widescreen. It holds up pretty darned well, especially compared to all the horrible disaster movies that followed it. Couple of things, though. 1. Ernest Borgnine's character spends the whole movie yelling and being a general jackass. I would have kicked him out of the little group after the first 20 minutes. 2. The next time you watch it... and this time WILL come... check out the various members of the band (the folks who play "Morning After" and "Auld Lang Syne"... they all die, except for the main chick who makes it out). Seriously, check them out. I realize that it was the 70s and all, but I guess this is who the casting person thought looked "young and hip". You will not find goofier looking guys. Anywhere. Young and hip they are not. Especially the drummer dude in his little bucket hat. (shaking head)
      3. Who can forget Leslie Nielson's stellar performance as the ship's captain.......all 5 minutes of it.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Has anyone seen Coraline? The reviews look good, but I've also read suggestions that it can be a bit scary for kids. Anyone who can offer a review?
        we saw it last night. I would say for kids ages 8-10 you are taking your chances. Under 8 would be a bit too rough on the kid for my taste. for adults and teens I think it was a B+. I liked most of it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also, I don't know how to put this in professional words, but it looked pretty. Like the forest and snow and everything looked really nice.
          After seeing your photography I believe you know what you are talking about. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

we saw it last night. I would say for kids ages 8-10 you are taking your chances. Under 8 would be a bit too rough on the kid for my taste. for adults and teens I think it was a B+. I liked most of it.
            Hmmm...my son is 8. He has watched and loved the first Hellboy movie and the Spider-Man films and bits and pieces of the LOTR films (until he gets bored). But I've heard that the button eyes and parents in Coraline are creepy.

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

You Don't Mess With the Zohan. Ridiculously silly. But really funny. Who knew you could laugh at Israel-Palestine jokes. MTA And how many ways you can use hummus Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hmmm...my son is 8. He has watched and loved the first Hellboy movie and the Spider-Man films and bits and pieces of the LOTR films (until he gets bored). But I've heard that the button eyes and parents in Coraline are creepy.
                Well some people think I'm too conservative. Many 8 year olds would watch Coraline and think nothing of it. But some would get creeped out. My brother-in-law told me about taking his 9-year old to the movie that had the dinosaurs going wild on the island. He was telling me you just need to take kids to movies and get them used to seeing rougher stuff. My reply was "you mean desensitize them?" He kind of gave up after that.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well some people think I'm too conservative. Many 8 year olds would watch Coraline and think nothing of it. But some would get creeped out. My brother-in-law told me about taking his 9-year old to the movie that had the dinosaurs going wild on the island. He was telling me you just need to take kids to movies and get them used to seeing rougher stuff. My reply was "you mean desensitize them?" He kind of gave up after that.
                  Jurassic Park? There's the scale factor, too. Some movies we'll let DS see, but only on TV at home (I think DS has actually caught bits and pieces of a couple of the Jurassic Park films on cable and had no ill effects). The massive and overwhelming scale and sound of some films in the theater would be too much for him, I'm sure, but at home the impact is lessened. Thus far we've not taken him to see anything in the theater that was rated beyond PG. I can't imagine taking a kid younger than 10 or 11 to Jurassic Park in the theater. I think a lot of what kids are exposed to needs to depend upon their personalities, too. DH's younger cousin was still prone to nightmares induced by relatively benign PG-rated kids' films at age 12. In contrast, our little rascal has never been prone to nightmares...I can count all of the nightmares he's had on one hand (he will talk about scary dreams sometimes the following day, but like me will wake, realize he had a freaky dream, and fall back to sleep). Some kids seem a lot more adept at separating fantasy from reality at a relatively young age.

~ Sarah Kay

Jazz hands!

Jurassic Park? There's the scale factor, too. Some movies we'll let DS see, but only on TV at home (I think DS has actually caught bits and pieces of a couple of the Jurassic Park films on cable and had no ill effects). The massive and overwhelming scale and sound of some films in the theater would be too much for him, I'm sure, but at home the impact is lessened. Thus far we've not taken him to see anything in the theater that was rated beyond PG. I can't imagine taking a kid younger than 10 or 11 to Jurassic Park in the theater.
                    I saw JP when it came out. I was 9. HOLY CRAP that movie was scary. Luckily it seemed unlikely even to terrified 9-year-old me that dinosaurs would come to life and eat me, so I never lost sleep or had nightmares about it, but still!! AAAAAAHHHH
                    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                      Jurassic Park? There's the scale factor, too. Some movies we'll let DS see, but only on TV at home (I think DS has actually caught bits and pieces of a couple of the Jurassic Park films on cable and had no ill effects). The massive and overwhelming scale and sound of some films in the theater would be too much for him, I'm sure, but at home the impact is lessened. Thus far we've not taken him to see anything in the theater that was rated beyond PG. I can't imagine taking a kid younger than 10 or 11 to Jurassic Park in the theater. I think a lot of what kids are exposed to needs to depend upon their personalities, too. DH's younger cousin was still prone to nightmares induced by relatively benign PG-rated kids' films at age 12. In contrast, our little rascal has never been prone to nightmares...I can count all of the nightmares he's had on one hand (he will talk about scary dreams sometimes the following day, but like me will wake, realize he had a freaky dream, and fall back to sleep). Some kids seem a lot more adept at separating fantasy from reality at a relatively young age.
                      then I'd say it is likely your kid would be fine with Coraline.

Gotta TRI

Jst saw Pink Panther 2 last night and have to say I think it is funnier than the first one. It was very good. Also just watched Step Brothers on PPV and it is pure Ferrell all the way! Loaded with F-bombs and the like so be warned, but a funny movie nonetheless.
                        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                        xor

Stand By Me is on AMC right now. Great movie, of course. In the few years after it came out, whodathunk that "the short fat kid" would be the actor that would have the longest career and seem like the normal-ist person? River Phoenix. Dead. Wil Wheaton. Wesley Crusher... and then, well, he has an interesting presence on fark.com. Corey Feldman. Er... he turned into Corey Feldman. Short fat kid is Jerry O'Connell. He dropped off the face of the earth for years so we all just kind of forgot about him, and he was "that other kid" when thinking about all the actors in Stand By Me. But really, he pulled a Jodie Foster/Brooke Shields. He stopped acting, went to school and college and then got back into acting. Not that he's oscar worthy or anything. If you've ever seen Tomcats or that roach movie (Joe's Apartment) or Kangaroo freakin Jack, you know. But still, he's had a lot of solid roles and was in Sliders and Crossing Jordan for a looong time. In comparison to the others, in any case, he's the one. (well, until you consider that the older kids included Jack Bauer and Lloyd Dobler)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Was the girl in Slum dog beautiful, or what? God she was pretty. And those little boys. To die for!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loooooovvvvvveee that movie. Except for that weird dance at the end. Must be an Indian thing.
                            Just saw it tonite...loved every moment of it--even the dance at the end. Danny Boyle's movies make my eyes happy. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Push It was an ok movie. I'm giving it a B-/C+. If you're into cheesy sci-fi type movies, go see it, otherwise you probably won't enjoy it. The twists and turns of the story make it entertaining as do the very strange characters. I think it might be too intense for some kids, even though one of the main characters is a 13 year old. Gran Torino As others have said, this is a great movie. It is one of the best that I've seen in a while. Anyone seen Doubt yet??

Meh, $5 is $5...

I watched Hulk (the Ed Norton version) and it didn't suck. Typical mindless popcorn movie, and crosses another one off of the ever growing Netflix backlog. I may make some progress on that after glancing at Rotten Tomatoes. Ignoring good movies like Slumdog, we have another edition to the Madea series, the Jonas Brothers in 3D, and Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li. I know this is a seasonally slow period for movies, but wow.