Stupid me... I ran too fast (Read 846 times)

Ok... I went out and ran faster than easy but slower than tempo on monday... and I'm not fully recovered. Yoga yetsterday go me loose but I am still sore... DUH... ok... just venting... today I have a scheduled mid week long run of 13... and it is hilly but I am going to alter my plans a bit and go 12 flat at the metroparks... not cutting back from 13 to 12 for any reason other than the turn around point is easier to find... and 1 mile isn't going to make much difference. I just was wondering 1.) why I just can't resist the urge to run faster when it comes... 2.) what do you folks do after such an occurance... I'm figuring I'll have to add another day of rest in here and just forget making 50 miles this week... or I can really go super slow tomorrow... I'm hoping flattening out today and trying to go really slow will keep me going today... injury free...

The Greatest of All Time

I just was wondering 1.) why I just can't resist the urge to run faster when it comes... 2.) what do you folks do after such an occurance...
      1. I rarely resist that urge myself. 2. I typically make my next run something easy.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

SMART Approach

You have to have a purpose to each run. Most individuals will have 2 harder/quality runs a week and other runs are easy to get the miles in. I personally run with HR monitor and Garmin so I know what pace or HR I won't go past each run. That is me. If you think about what the purpose of your run is before you do it, this will help keep you in check.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok... I went out and ran faster than easy but slower than tempo on monday... and I'm not fully recovered. Yoga yetsterday go me loose but I am still sore... DUH...
          My HS cross country coach used to stress avoiding this pace range. Specifically, he said something like "medium miles are wasted miles." Meaning that at this "medium" pace between easy and speed, you get only the detriments of having run a fast workout, and almost none of the benefits. That being said, sometimes you need to feed the beast within even if it goes against your better judgment. Sometimes though, not all the time. Like Marcus said, making the next something easy is the way to go. You may be able to flip some days around in your schedule to that you can get one more easy day in and still complete you're planned run. Reputation to the contrary, I'm not a slave to my heart rate monitor. But one of the reasons I like wearing one is that I have a hard time following my own (and my coach's) advice and often run too fast on easy days. Using an HRM helps me keep myself in check on easy/recovery runs.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Definitely recommend another easy day and if possible pushing your long run back a day.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

dev_08

Here's something I do when I feel the urge to push it on my easy days. Instead of increasing the pace, I throw 50-100M striders into the run. After 5 or 6 of these, I've satisfied the urge to run faster but still keep it an EZ day. If I were you, I would not do a rest day and instead run 3-4 miles slow tomorrow. If you still feel shot after that, then do the same thing the next day. If you can find grass to run on all the better. I actually run on the tree lawns as much as I can on my recovery days. Not only do I run on a soft surface but it helps my pace slow down a lot because I watch every footfall so I don't turn an ankle.

Prince of Fatness

I was like you, thinking I had to hammer every run. Hamstring issues cured me of the problem last year. Since then I have added easy runs into my schedule. Probably 85% of my mileage is easy. I have noticed a few things... I can run more mileage without feeling run down. I have far less aches and pains. I am injury free. My race times are getting better. I enjoy running now more than ever. When I do have a speed workout scheduled, I nail them every time. I never have to bail out of the run. I could go on but I think you get the point.

Not at it at all.