Restart after injury (Read 726 times)

OK I DON’T want to get ahead of myself! The last visit to the Doc seems to be doing the trick!! My range of motion is greatly improved in my back to the point I can put on socks and shoes without help and I DID NOT take pain meds or muscle relaxants today and actually worked a full day at work!! Mondays are my rest days. But I won’t push by running tomorrow. I am planning on waiting until NEXT Tuesday to start back running. So far this month I have run just one very short mile, when my plan was to be running 5 days at 2 miles/day with a 3 mile being my long run on Sundays. Then the back went south. Being I will have not run for a full month, I am sure I can’t just pick up where I left off (Much as I WISH I could!!!). What should I be planning for as a realistic injury FREE restart?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ooh, that's a toughie Gregg, because every body's different. I'd start back with no more often than every other day, perhaps just going for one mile, and being prepared to stop if *anything* hurts. But really, you're going to have to go by feel. Don't push the speed, give yourself extra rest days, and be patient. That's all I can offer. Perhaps others can say more to this. Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

vicentefrijole

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better! Two things come into my mind ('just my $0.02' as Mile Collector likes to say, so take it or leave it): 1) In my humble opinion, you probably don't want to go back to running when you're AT ALL needing to take serious pain meds (anything more than tylenol) to get through any day in the last week. If you're experiencing that kind of pain in the last 7 days then your body is probably not totally recovered. Plus, you don't want to mask any actual pain you might encounter during a run with some residual effect of the meds. 2) You are completely correct in assuming you can't pick up where you left off... after a full month AND still recovering from an injury, you're back to 'square one' or even less! If you must run, don't throw in anything crazy (hills, speed) or I'm afraid you'll reinjure and end up right back where you were. Start conservative and stay there until you are positive you won't hurt yourself again. The only thing worse than injury is repeated re-injury! Be careful!
        Wingz

Professional Noob

1) In my humble opinion, you probably don't want to go back to running when you're AT ALL needing to take serious pain meds (anything more than tylenol) to get through any day in the last week. If you're experiencing that kind of pain in the last 7 days then your body is probably not totally recovered. Plus, you don't want to mask any actual pain you might encounter during a run with some residual effect of the meds. !
          Oh. Yes. Forgot about that. I totally agree, Gregg.
          The only thing worse than injury is repeated re-injury!
          Exactly!

JakeKnight

Can you *walk* without injuring yourself? Can you do other types of exercise? Is it only the impact that hurts your back? If all of the above is true ... come next Tuesday, I'd go for a brisk little walk - with a little jogging thrown in. Come back. Wait until the next morning. See how you feel. The one thing you have to be careful of is the fact that once you get your body warmed up, you may feel fine WHILE you're running ... only to discover later that you've injured yourself worse. That's why I'd suggest starting really carefully, and evaluating the next day - instead of during your run. If you feel good, take a day off, go for another walk ... and maybe toss a little more running in. Rinse, lather, repeat, adding in more running slowly and carefully, always evaluating how you feel the next morning. You'll be running marathons in no time at all. Smile Really trust me on that bit about the fact that your body can fool you once your warmed-up and sweating. I knew that perfectly well, but ignored it during my recent toe problems. And sure enough, exactly what I just described happened: I ran on the injury, it hurt a little the first couple miles ... and then magically there was no pain. I - of course - decided the injury had vanished, and ran harder. 12 hours later I couldn't walk. Listen to your body, and give it time to talk to you. But at the same time, don't lay around too much, either. Maybe it's a twisted runner's mentality, but I tend to think most problems are made better with (moderate) exercise rather than worse. Good luck! Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

I agree about the meds and it is one reason I am letting my back set a week after the end of hte meds. Well almost the end. I will be on anti inflamatories for the next 15 days. And doc DID say to start out walking first. I just going nuts not running!! Who'd ah thunk!! It is one reason I have not been here on the board. Makes me miss it even more.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

C'mon over to "On the Bench" http://www.runningahead.com/groups/benched and share your woes! Big grin

vicentefrijole

I agree about the meds and it is one reason I am letting my back set a week after the end of hte meds. Well almost the end. I will be on anti inflamatories for the next 15 days. And doc DID say to start out walking first. I just going nuts not running!! Who'd ah thunk!! It is one reason I have not been here on the board. Makes me miss it even more.
                  I think we can all sympathize! I'm glad to see that you're thinking about this stuff carefully and rationally. Hopefully when I am injured next time I will take my own advice as easily as I give it! Big grin Best of luck with the recovery.
                    Me, carefull? Rational? Whatever gave you that idea? I am a Federal Emplyoee, that makes me certified as insane. That and I am married to a Postal Employee. Big grin

This may take longer than I expected. The meds doc has me on is playing hell with my blood glucos numbers, which makes fighting that infection (a big part of the pain) that much harder which requires more meds which plays hell with.......... And I run to take better care of myself! Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!! Actually stress is most likely the biggest factor right now. But the local, state and federal gov takes a rather narrow and at times uneducatedly dim view of absolute need to at times thinning the gene pool. And of course being able to run helps reduce the stress and lessens the possibility of my being unduly questioned about......... OK All better now!!! I just need to rant once in while. But OH GAWD I'd give two weeks pay to run one nice 5k pain free!!!

Wingz

Professional Noob

Mantra for government employees: I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers ... Wink Be good. Maybe a nice, gentle walk?

Mantra for government employees: I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers-I-will-not-kill-my-coworkers ... Wink Be good. Maybe a nice, gentle walk?
                          Thanks!!!! Yesterday was one of the days that was so bad Hell looked nice. Thanks of listening! My back is much better tonight!! I may do some nice long walks over the weekend then I'll see what my back says

Ran yesterday and today and feel good. I think the stiffness in my back may just be something I'll need to learn to live with and I am ok with that

Wingz

Professional Noob

If it's muscle stiffness you may find it gets better with time and exercise. Check with the doc to be sure, of course. Glad you're feeling better! Be GENTLE with easing back into running, ok? You've been patient this long - don't blow it now! Smile

Along for the Ride

Ran yesterday and today and feel good. I think the stiffness in my back may just be something I'll need to learn to live with and I am ok with that
                                Gregg, just my two cents about this ... I am curreently benched with a back injury as well. Here my quick story. I lifted a very heavy patient mid September (I am a nurse). My back was stiff and achy, but I could bend down and such. Was put on light duty, muscle relaxers, pain meds and physical therapy. Only needed one Vicodin the first night. Since then Tylenol is fine. Made progress in physical therapy. Went back to running and felt strong and great after PT. Lifted something lighter at work - started to have numbness and tingling down my right leg. Had an MRI and have a tear and herniation in one of my lumbar discs. NO running at the moment, only swimming and walking. Still physical therapy. The sports doc said it takes 3 months for the tear to heal. NO impact ... did I mention NO running? No I am only having minor pain, some muscle spasms every now and then, an achy lower back and occasional numbness. However, I am still following the no running rule. I do not ever want to have surgery on my back. I have seen these surgeries in my job. Patients seem to come back for more a lot ... and often end up with metal rods and screws in their backs. That pretty much ends the running career ... Morale - I don't want to scare you. But please be careful with your back! It is a very fragile thing and you need to take good care of it if you want to run many more years. Make sure you get the opinion of a sports doctor if possible. Let a good physical therapist evaluate you, they are amazing in assessing your status! I had already muscle weakness in my right foot and didn't realize it. I do want to run many more races - that's why I am following the no running rule. As hard as it is. I have to be on weight watchers to not get fat and I have to be very disciplined to not go nuts .... I totally understand where you're coming from. Take care!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.